We are not contagious

Disabled passengers are not contagious. Please don't ignore us when we try to engage you in a conversation and/or share your table.

All too often we have experienced that many passengers tend to shy away and/or avoid us because one of us is disabled (due to a stroke) and is now confined to using a wheelchair.

Please, he's not contagious but kindness toward one another is.

Thank you for reading this post and we wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Edited by oldguysandgalls

It is very rare to have that type of issue in this day and age. Inconsiderate sure but intimated not so much. As a matter of fact my dad (in a wheelchair) said his last cruise was one of his best in regards to other passengers going out the way to make sure he was accommodated.

It is very rare to have that type of issue in this day and age. Inconsiderate sure but intimated not so much. As a matter of fact my dad (in a wheelchair) said his last cruise was one of his best in regards to other passengers going out the way to make sure he was accommodated.

Sorry my experience is different to that. To some, maybe even many, people a person ina wheelchair becomes invisible. And not just at sea.

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately our experience was not as pleasant.

There are two sides to this. Yes some people do tend to ignore those in wheelchairs. However there are a great number of people in wheelchairs who have a superior feeling of entitlement. One cannot ignore the person in a wheelchair who runs everyone down in their path. Unfortunately this is an annoying reality on many cruises. It is sad because there are many disabled who get lumped into the entitled group who are very nice considerate people. BUT the squeaky wheel gets the oil... In other words the he nice people are left in the lurch.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are two sides to this. Yes some people do tend to ignore those in wheelchairs. However there are a great number of people in wheelchairs who have a superior feeling of entitlement. One cannot ignore the person in a wheelchair who runs everyone down in their path. Unfortunately this is an annoying reality on many cruises. It is sad because there are many disabled who get lumped into the entitled group who are very nice considerate people. BUT the squeaky wheel gets the oil... In other words the he nice people are left in the lurch.

You are so right.

We believe and practise "kindness and consideration toward others" is "contagious". ;)

Edited by oldguysandgalls

We were on the CMV Columbus cruise to Cuba & Caribbean, returning 14th December 2017. 1 lady in a wheelchair looked as though she was going to plough into the dancers in the Atrium at one of the parties. In fact she just wanted to get into the action and dance - everyone moved back to provide a circular space for her chair and 2-3 men queued up to dance, she had 'all the moves' with her upper body and the men responded as sexily as advancing age permits! It was a great experience to watch - must have been even better to have participated - especially when the lady managed to shake her shoes off- there's something about dancing barefoot!

We were on the CMV Columbus cruise to Cuba & Caribbean, returning 14th December 2017. 1 lady in a wheelchair looked as though she was going to plough into the dancers in the Atrium at one of the parties. In fact she just wanted to get into the action and dance - everyone moved back to provide a circular space for her chair and 2-3 men queued up to dance, she had 'all the moves' with her upper body and the men responded as sexily as advancing age permits! It was a great experience to watch - must have been even better to have participated - especially when the lady managed to shake her shoes off- there's something about dancing barefoot!

Hahahahahaha! Great story!!!

OP, I am sorry if you had this experience. My last cruise in October, I was confined to a scooter due to a recent illness and unable to walk. People could not have been nicer. Never once did anyone avoid or ignore me....if anything, I had the opposite experience as you.

Some people just simply don't like interacting with strangers. I've encountered this, and I'm not in a wheelchair. To each their own.

Do you know for a fact it was because you're in a wheelchair that people chose not to chit chat with you?

In my original post I should have added that our friend also has speech issues (due to his stroke) and needs some assistance with his food which unfortunately, may have made some people feel uncomfortable.

As a disabled woman, may I also add, it’s ok to look us in the eye and smile when we walk by. My different way of walking won’t melt you or turn you to stone if you glance my way. No need to avert your eyes to the ground in an effort to avoid making eye contact with me.

As a disabled woman, may I also add, it’s ok to look us in the eye and smile when we walk by. My different way of walking won’t melt you or turn you to stone if you glance my way. No need to avert your eyes to the ground in an effort to avoid making eye contact with me.

You hit the nail on the head.

Thank you.

I had surgery on my leg had to walk with a cane and had difficulty with stairs etc during recovery. I do not like to generalize but older people tended to cut in front of me, let the door close in my face. If someone held the door for me or offered to help it was usually a young person Teenager or Twenty something. Renewed my faith in the next generation. Having a temporary disability really opens your eyes.

I was not aware of my own actions in the past as to whether I avoided people in wheelchairs or not but from reading the forum here about people needing to be sensitive in treating the disabled kindly had been so helpful. On our last Celebrity cruise, I went out of my way to not only give priority to physically disabled guests, especially with the elevators, but to block others from cutting in front of them. I was embarrassed by the many thank-yous. If we can all be more considerate, we share a better world.

Disabled passengers are not contagious. Please don't ignore us when we try to engage you in a conversation and/or share your table.

All too often we have experienced that many passengers tend to shy away and/or avoid us because one of us is disabled (due to a stroke) and is now confined to using a wheelchair.

Please, he's not contagious but kindness toward one another is.

Thank you for reading this post and we wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

People can be so inconsiderate and unfeeling sometimes. But mostly, they are very kind and see the handicapped as just people. We had a similar experience on the Vision a couple of weeks ago. Our adult daughter is developmentally delayed and always cruises with us. We were seated at a big table for 10 for breakfast one morning in the MDR. There were just the three empty chairs left for us. The "30 something's" party sitting at the table didn't even acknowledge us when we sat down. They just kept talking, laughing and having a good 'ol time. It was so uncomfortable for us. We usually ask for a small table but that morning, we were running late so just took what they gave us. Those people never said anything to us. Not one word. Not even a glance or a smile. We finished our breakfast and got up and left. :(

We have always tried to go out of our way and be kind to the disabled. On this last cruise I had a humbling experience by (unfortunately on the first night :o) when I broke my foot. Was wheel chair bound with crutches the rest of the cruise.

Since we normally take the stairs whenever we can, I found out about elevator manners real quick. I would say 90% of the people were very considerate...but the other 10%...seemed to have blinders on and would rush in front of us to get to the elevator. Many times we had to wait for yet another elevator to be able to use it. Maybe some needed it, but I don't think all of them did..even going down just one floor...especially the kids.

I know when I am able to walk again, I will once again happily give up my space in the elevator to those that need it.

One cannot ignore the person in a wheelchair who runs everyone down in their path.

Oh, yes. While I am very grateful to the many people who happily included my autistic daughter in the trivia challenges she loves, I was not happy with the women on a scooter who rammed me to take my place to view an activity in the Centrum. I had gotten there at least 20 minutes early to get a good spot for viewing (I'm short, so being in the front is often the only way I can see something), had patiently waited, then she showed up just as the show was starting and rammed me out of the way. I ended up not being able to see anything.

Im in a wheelchair, and there is always good and bad. One cruise, I was standing (aka sitting in my wheelchair in the buffet line) not moving, and the lady in front of me turned around, and me being low, she didn't see me and her and her plate of food fell in my lap...and she yelled..at me. Made me cry LOL

But on many many cruises, fellow passengers are so nice and polite, I TRY to be independent, but sometimes I need help and someone has always been there to give me a hand.

Not all people are bad, just like not all people in wheelchairs feel *entitled*

Im in a wheelchair, and there is always good and bad. One cruise, I was standing (aka sitting in my wheelchair in the buffet line) not moving, and the lady in front of me turned around, and me being low, she didn't see me and her and her plate of food fell in my lap...and she yelled..at me. Made me cry LOL

But on many many cruises, fellow passengers are so nice and polite, I TRY to be independent, but sometimes I need help and someone has always been there to give me a hand.

Not all people are bad, just like not all people in wheelchairs feel *entitled*

That is terrible! I am so sorry you ran into one of the world's nasties :eek::(...and don't worry...they will get their due reward in the end. I wish I could have been there to help you. Hopefully someone did come to your aid.

Being a bit disabled right now, and wheelchair bound on my last cruise due to breaking my foot on board (had to be first night of course...:o) it definitely gave me a new perspective of what the wheel chair folks go through and the barriers in thier path. I think everyone should spend a full day in a wheel chair and see what you go through. Maybe more would think twice about how lucky they are to be walking on two feet, and more considerate of their fellow wheeled passengers.

I am deaf myself and I have one time experience rudeness during dinner time. The poor waiter had to stop them from trying to take other people table every day. Then they started to arrive late when we are about to finish dessert. I felt so bad for the server and my cousin is hearing and could communicate with them just fine. It may have been that I am deaf or we were not pretty or handsome enough or simply the color of skin. We will never know. Since then, I requested a table alone and use an excuse that I am deaf BUT if there is other deaf family, I asked to be at the same table (not happened yet).

Having a temporary disability really opens your eyes.

I agree. I used an electric scooter some days shopping while getting Chemo, due to fatigue. I found people either ignored me totally, or went out of their way to look at me and smile, say Hi. Sometimes talking very slowly and carefully. Which was funny, since I could hear and talk just fine. But they tried to be nice.

I agree. I used an electric scooter some days shopping while getting Chemo, due to fatigue. I found people either ignored me totally, or went out of their way to look at me and smile, say Hi. Sometimes talking very slowly and carefully. Which was funny, since I could hear and talk just fine. But they tried to be nice.

Gosh I hope all is well now after your Chemo! Hope you are doing OK. :o

Yeah, until you "walk a mile" in the shoes of the Disabled...it does open your eyes. I am one of the fortunate ones and should be able to walk again in 4-6 weeks. There are far too many that are not as lucky. My heart goes out to them...and you. You have a great attitude! :)