first time uniworld traveler - tips for us?

clcmdse

A little envious of all of you who have upcoming Uniworld cruises. We have done four, so we're really not suffering...we just don't have another one lined up. :(

Dance momma, the Rhine cruise on Uniworld (SS Antoinette) was our first and I did a blog that talks about most of the excursions. There was a vinegar tasting when we were in Mannheim (I think) but we went to Speyer instead. Those who did the vinegar tasting really enjoyed it, and said that the experience was unique. I think a lot of others on this board would agree with that. So although I can't give a personal recommendation, I would tell you to keep an eye out for that tour.

ewizabeff, so you are considering India? It sure was a great trip.

clcmdse, I can also vouch that the suite amenities made our 2016 Danube cruise much nicer. I probably have some room pictures on my review, as well as some more detailed descriptions of the amenities. Also, they did a private dinner for the suite passengers one night which was pretty awesome. A special tasting menu and different wines, in a small venue at the back of the boat. A great evening!

A little envious of all of you who have upcoming Uniworld cruises. We have done four, so we're really not suffering...we just don't have another one lined up. :(

Dance momma, the Rhine cruise on Uniworld (SS Antoinette) was our first and I did a blog that talks about most of the excursions. There was a vinegar tasting when we were in Mannheim (I think) but we went to Speyer instead. Those who did the vinegar tasting really enjoyed it, and said that the experience was unique. I think a lot of others on this board would agree with that. So although I can't give a personal recommendation, I would tell you to keep an eye out for that tour.

ewizabeff, so you are considering India? It sure was a great trip.

clcmdse, I can also vouch that the suite amenities made our 2016 Danube cruise much nicer. I probably have some room pictures on my review, as well as some more detailed descriptions of the amenities. Also, they did a private dinner for the suite passengers one night which was pretty awesome. A special tasting menu and different wines, in a small venue at the back of the boat. A great evening!

We are doing this cruise in September. Do you have a web site where we could see your blog?

Khakis and a button-down shirt are sufficient for dinner. Chris will wear slacks and a nice top, or a casual dress. Ties, jackets, and cocktail dresses are not needed though you'd not be out of place if you wanted to wear that. I often bring a blazer if weather will be cool. But a sweater would be just fine too.

For excursions - yes layers. I personally don't like jeans because they are heavy and don't dry well if they get wet. A combo of long- and short-sleeved shirts for base layers, then a sweater over that if needed, and a light water resistant jacket is a combo that works well for me in almlst all weather. I wear khakis during the day, or heavier weight casual pants (Eddie Bauer) if it's cold.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Any dinner, etc. dress comments for warm weather cruising like Portugal in June?

We were on a Uniworld Budapest to Amsterdam cruise in August 2015 when the temps were in the 90s. Women wore sundresses or capris/skirts and a nice shirt/blouse. Men wore short sleeve polo shirts and dockers.

Khakis and a button-down shirt are sufficient for dinner. Chris will wear slacks and a nice top, or a casual dress. Ties, jackets, and cocktail dresses are not needed though you'd not be out of place if you wanted to wear that. I often bring a blazer if weather will be cool. But a sweater would be just fine too.

For excursions - yes layers. I personally don't like jeans because they are heavy and don't dry well if they get wet. A combo of long- and short-sleeved shirts for base layers, then a sweater over that if needed, and a light water resistant jacket is a combo that works well for me in almlst all weather. I wear khakis during the day, or heavier weight casual pants (Eddie Bauer) if it's cold.

This has been my experience. Agree totally with what Jpalbany has posted. Don't get hung up on the wardrobe. Sometimes people think that because Uniworld is a bit pricier than some of the other lines that it's more "formal", however you define that.

Roz

jpalbany - while we haven't actually booked anything, my husband has started talking about India in terms of "when" rather than "if." :) I expect we'll book shortly after our Egypt trip, meaning we'll travel in 2019 or 2020.

There's still time to join us on the Catherine, in March-1st sailing of the season;p

Robin

We are doing this cruise in September. Do you have a web site where we could see your blog?

I just did this cruise in March, 2017. A few changes since JP and Chris took their's. Marksburg Castle is now included, and not an extra charge, for one. Also, my husband and I did the Vinegar Estate-which I would highly recommend, and the hike through the Niederwald Forest, as opposed to the wine tasting, in Rudesheim. We aren't wine drinkers, and the views from the forest, and the experience itself, were breath-taking.

Here's a link to my photo review

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2479562

Robin

There's still time to join us on the Catherine, in March-1st sailing of the season;p

Robin

Oh, I wish! That was such fun. There is so much to do in the area that we must return some day. But we're in Australia for half of March, for my big birthday celebration. Not a bad trade. Looking forward to hearing all about the cruise.

Just. Read your review....wow, fantastic. I am getting really excited now. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

Glad you enjoyed it. Hope you have as much fun as we did on our trip.

Oh, I wish! That was such fun. There is so much to do in the area that we must return some day. But we're in Australia for half of March, for my big birthday celebration. Not a bad trade. Looking forward to hearing all about the cruise.

Big as in "50"?????

Congrats!!!

Robin

Thank you Roz and Acwmom

I'm hoping that Uniworld sends one to us. I am giving away my age but I still like paper!

Acwmom - your review was the first river cruise review that I read and now we are booked for Castles on the Rhine this April - so excited for this new adventure after many ocean cruises. Looking forward to a totally different and I believe addicting vacation. Should I say "thank you"? or ahhh - it's all your fault!!! (in a totally good way:))

Thank you Roz and Acwmom

I'm hoping that Uniworld sends one to us. I am giving away my age but I still like paper!

Acwmom - your review was the first river cruise review that I read and now we are booked for Castles on the Rhine this April - so excited for this new adventure after many ocean cruises. Looking forward to a totally different and I believe addicting vacation. Should I say "thank you"? or ahhh - it's all your fault!!! (in a totally good way:))

Very addicting, and, you're welcome! Rest up, and get a pair of good walking shoes, because you'll get a lot of steps in!!!! Don't forget your swimsuit, because the pool can be relaxing after a long day:-) Enjoy:):):)

Robin

We sailed the Maria Theresa in November and had the most wonderful time. It was better than we could have imagined. The service and food were excellent. The city tours were led by very informative local guides. There were no hidden costs in fact we had trouble spending all our onboard credit. We are looking for another Uniworld cruise soon

Is there somewhere we can find more information on the optional tours ... and a more detailed itinerary? The 2018 Uniworld companions are not out and it's difficult to choose. I imagine we would discuss directly with the cruise manager once aboard. Some tips as to when and who to talk to re: booking the more popular ones would always be appreciated!

Is there somewhere we can find more information on the optional tours ... and a more detailed itinerary? The 2018 Uniworld companions are not out and it's difficult to choose. I imagine we would discuss directly with the cruise manager once aboard. Some tips as to when and who to talk to re: booking the more popular ones would always be appreciated!

The cruise director is definitely the best person to talk to about choosing excursions. The cruise director will do a short talk before dinner each night to discuss the next days activities. This often includes a slide presentation of the next days excursions including the optional excursions. It really helped with the difficult decisions. There may be differences between the 2017 and 2018 companion guides but I would go ahead and download the 2017 to get a good feel for the excursions. You will also get a snapshot of your entire cruise in your cabin at check in so that you can plan ahead for the week and be able to ask questions well in advance. Hope this helps.

Adding to what Brian said, the first night, the cruise director will do a slide presentation for the entire cruise, which will help you decide. He/she will also be available to discuss things with you individually. Don't worry about things "selling" out.... It just doesn't happen. There are a few "bespoke" tours, which are additional$$, which you won't know about until you're onboard- they're more likely to be cancelled due to poor numbers. What itinerary are you doing?

Robin

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app