Upgrade?

CanICruiseSoonPlease

I always book on my own so I know when and if I get an upgrade. I just booked with a TA with a group. If I get an upgrade, will I know via email or do they contact the TA to ask me??

Sent from my SM-N920T using Forums mobile app

Princess contacts the T.A. for both upgrades and upsells. My T.A. is very prompt in forwarding these types of notices to me, but from reading these boards some T.A.'s are not so prompt. You will have to keep watching your cruise personlizer.

"You will have to keep watching your cruise personlizer."

Maybe I'm reading more into this than what was meant, but, is there a notice placed in my cruise personalizer telling me if I've received an upgrade request? If so, where should I look?

I've always gotten an email directly from Princess
If you booked directly with Princess, this is true. If you book through a TA (which I do and saves me at least 10% or more plus extra OBC and great service), the notice will go to your TA who will notify you.

My TA forwards any email from Princess to me shortly after receiving it. If it’s a free upgrade offer, she calls me. She emails upsell offers which I’ve always declined as they weren’t worth it to me.

Maybe I'm reading more into this than what was meant, but, is there a notice placed in my cruise personalizer telling me if I've received an upgrade request? If so, where should I look?

Just log on and click "manage this cruise". The cabin number will be listed there. Mostly "upgrades" just happen without your approval. I check often and usually know any changes before or if I get TA notification. An upsell request on the other hand would go via your TA.

If you booked directly with Princess, this is true. If you book through a TA (which I do and saves me at least 10% or more plus extra OBC and great service), the notice will go to your TA who will notify you.

My TA forwards any email from Princess to me shortly after receiving it. If it’s a free upgrade offer, she calls me. She emails upsell offers which I’ve always declined as they weren’t worth it to me.

We also use a TA like Pam does who will forward upsell offers via email when received.

While we haven't seen upgrades in recent years, in the past they often just appeared as a different cabin assignment that I would note in the Personalizer, and often our TA was not notified of the change as price was not affected.

Time sensitive offers, like move-over offers which have only hours to respond, would merit a phone call from our TA. That's the kind of service we appreciated and expect from a TA.

Now what if my TA is out and there is an upsell offer? Do I lose it because they didnt get in touch with me on time? Thats why I always book direct, but didnt have a chose this time.
In our experience upsell offers are available for a longer period than move-overs noted above. For our cruise in Dec 2017 we received identical emailed offers via our TA twice in a week (different emails from Princess).

One should question a TA about what their coverage is for times when she/he is out of the office. My TA has an assistant who covers for her, as emails from Princess about offers would go to her, not the client.

Booking directly with Princess means Princess will contact you directly for offers, but as mentioned you give up the possibility of TA discounts and OBC's. It is a control vs. cost trade-off decision that each of us must make for ourselves.

Like Pam, my TA would advise me immediately of any upgrade, upsell, move over, etc. I have been told that if you book with "the big box" or some (most?) online agencies they won't tell you squat. No notifications. This may not always be the case but I have seen it posted a number of times by folks who use that booking method.