Room Service!

khewston

Thank you for posting this. It clarifies things. I was thinking that items like the peanut butter and jelly sandwich that were free during the day, would cost a few bucks after 10pm, but that is not the case, it's not even on the Late Night menu. Same with the cookies. So even if you were willing to pay more for cookies and milk at midnight delivered to your cabin, you can't.

That's what is really bugging me about this change. We like the BLT s and cookies when we get back for the night. Was expecting the original free stuff still be available for maybe the $2 charge per item. I'm hoping with time maybe they will bring the other stuff back for the cheaper price or maybe extend the complimentary hours to midnight when they keep getting requests for the old items.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

Or - if you want to eat at 2 or 3 a.m. after having fun around the ship and you don't want to take advantage of the free option (pizza), you will have to be willing to pay out $2 - $5.

I don't think that everyone ordering after 10:00 p.m. are a bunch of drunks - I've ordered a sandwich numerous times after midnight - but I know that in my experience, the few times I cruised with family and there were teenage boys along - OMG, they ordered Room Service every night & ordered many items each just because it was free. Considering there are many teenagers on every cruise - I guarantee you my experience wasn't unusual. Hell, if I were a teenager, I would be doing the same thing.

So, will charging a fee mean less waste - probably. Is this the reason behind the decision - I doubt that it was the main reason. BUT, I also don't think this decision is going to stop very many people, if any, from sailing on CCL ships.

Personally, if it will make room service between 10 p.m. - 6 a.m. faster because the staff is not running around all over the ship schlepping out free food - I don't mind paying extra and the expanded menu looks pretty good.

We all have to make decisions as to what is important to each of us and if a company is not providing what is important to you, choose another company. But to expect everything to stay the same is a little unrealistic. All businesses will do what they need to do to better their profits - prices go up or services go down at times to meet this need.

I doubt many people are going to switch because of this new policy. As JH said, they are going to let it play out and see how it is received. Remember the fiasco with the adult only pool going family friendly and the outcry over this? What happened with that? True that there is already an expense involved with this decision (i.e. new menus and training) but it could be tweaked if there is enough outcry over the change.

But, if anyone else balking about the price switches cruise lines, then I bet they end up paying more, so what does that say about their nitpicking over a few dollars for a midnight sandwich?

If this means we see less of half-eaten plates of food sitting outside cabins doors, then maybe that's a good thing.

However, this is Cruise Critic, so carry on continuing to beat this topic into the ground for pages on end.

I doubt many people are going to switch because of this new policy. As JH said, they are going to let it play out and see how it is received. Remember the fiasco with the adult only pool going family friendly and the outcry over this? What happened with that? True that there is already an expense involved with this decision (i.e. new menus and training) but it could be tweaked if there is enough outcry over the change.

They changed them back, that’s what happened [emoji3].

I hope they all do leave. Maybe it will make prices drop. Although I doubt anyone really will unlike with the pool thing where people were canceling their cruises and telling Carnival exactly why.

Remember the fiasco with the adult only pool going family friendly and the outcry over this? What happened with that? True that there is already an expense involved with this decision ...
As such, this is more along the lines of the removal of the tablecloths. What happened with that?

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

That's interesting, because I typically am up at 5am, heading straight to the Lido deck for coffee and have never not been able to get it. Just providing another perspective.

Cheers!

I'm glad you have always found it available. Wish that had been my experience. Guess you and most of the rest of the world's population wake up later than I do.

For all those late night cookie /cake milk drinkers the solution is get your sweets from the buffet, then get your milk.

Put the milk on Ice in your cabin, ice melts get more from cabin steward!

Bingo -Problem solved at NO extra expense. Plus it’s there when you get to cabin , no waiting!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is this better or worse than "Walmart of the Seas" that so many of you affectionately refer to Carnival as?

...or six flags of the seas as royal is called (and started the nickel and diming in this area as well as many others)....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And Carnival doesn't nickel and dime?? HAHAHAAAA!!! Jimbo, Rino, and Meatloaf eat your words!!! Got to love more cutbacks!! Bring your own tablecloth, rabbit ears and now lunchables. Can't blame people for orders before 10pm for late night snacks, might do that myself. The cutbacks don't stop but I bet it's Brilliant!!!

My post was who started it (in this and many other areas)...answer Royal. I am sure you will come back from your next (possibly last?) Carnival cruise loaded with more terrible news..... i for one can hardly wait, I am trying to keep track of the cutback mentions you have but you are going to fast......

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The last Carnival cruise I was on was the 8-day Southern Caribbean....in Curacao when we got back on ship and to the room at 10:30-11pm what were our choices to eat??? Answer, pizza and room service. It's was an easy decision....back to the cabin for room service. That's the exact itinerary I JUST BOOKED last WEEK aboard the Conquest for November.

It was crystal clear to me what was included in my cruise at the time I booked.

Granted....it's not a lot of money but the added fee of room service after 10PM leaves a real bad taste in my mouth, especially considering this 8-day itinerary.