Room Service!

khewston

The "outrage" (and there is a lot of it on that other site) comes from the death-by-a-thousand-cuts strategy Carnival has adopted.
Carnival and every other similarly affordable supplier of discretionary products or services.

The "outrage" (and there is a lot of it on that other site) comes from the death-by-a-thousand-cuts strategy Carnival has adopted. I shamelessly lifted this list of changes from someone else:

*Staggered Check In Time

*Sample of amenities in bathroom removed

*No tablecloths

*No trays to hold plates

*Chocolate on pillows removed

*Turndown option

*No lobster on cruises with less than 5 days

*Bottle water increase

*Camp Carnival hours/fees

*Fee for Room Service

*Now No room service w/o a fee from 10-6

It's getting ridiculous and people are fed up with things being taken away and service being cut. All in the name of keeping the base price in the "value" range. When you start adding on all of these extra fees and a la carte price increases, Carnival might be MORE expensive than a competing cruise line.

Personally, I'm done. I have a 7 day this May on Carnival and that's it. Later in the year I'm booking another cruise for the family and we're going with RC. It might be better, it might be the same or worse than Carnival. But I'm voting with my wallet and trying something new.

And people keep saying RC charges $7.95 for room service. Fine with me, because that includes all you can order. In my situation, where I only order room service at night, it's going to be cheaper on RC versus paying for every darn item with Carnival.

Staggered check in is a huge improvement.

Samples were given by the specific companies, not Carnival. It was fun while it lasted. Celebrity doesn’t have those either.

No tablecloths. Not an issue for many.

No trays can be a PITA but again, it was because people would pile on too much food and waste it. It still does happen, but at least you can only waste what you can pile on one plate. If they were smart they would make the plates smaller to further cut down on it.

Chocolates were gross and many of them ended up behind the bed or even under the pillow. I woke up to a melted one once. Another non issue for me.

Lobster thing, OK maybe. Don’t know the reason behind that.

Bottle water I think may still be amongst the cheapest of all the cruise lines.

Camp Ocean I think has some decent hours. At least they did when my kids were little. Don’t they allow you to leave your kids there while in port? Some other cruise lines may not. But I can’t be sure. It seems like Celebrity didn’t when we went on them.

It’s 8 hours mostly in the middle of the night for a fee and they will have some other new items that aren’t an option now. I would rather have it free during the majority of the time than pay $8 all the time. Again, it’s an option. Don’t use it if you don’t want to pay. Not everyone utilizes certain things so I’m glad they didn’t add it in the cost of the cruise.

If you want to talk about nickel and diming, wait until you have to pay for a Johnny Rockets burger on RC. I hear they have a lot of for fee stuff and in most cases their cruise prices are higher.

Edited by firemanbobswife

I agree 100%. I could have sworn that 24 hour a day complimentary room service was included with my cruise when I booked and paid for it! :(:(:(

It WAS! I JUST booked a cruise after not cruising on Carnival for a few years. Looked at the menus before booking....two sections to room service menu....one included section and one section for extra fee. Now this...

I also feel that it is truly about curbing waste. Will that by itself increase profits? Sure. But if it was all about the money then why not increase the fares by a couple bucks? No one would know. There is a different mindset when one has to physically pay for something vs it being free. That’s true for many things in life.

Make your kids spend their own money on an item they want and they may just take care of it better. Same with food. If you have to come out of pocket a couple bucks per item, you are less likely to order things that you may not be able to finish. It’s the same concept at a restaurant. You don’t order everything that looks good without the intent of eating it because you have to come out of pocket.

So while it will increase their profits, it will also reduce food waste which I hope no one would have an issue with.

I also feel that it is truly about curbing waste. Will that by itself increase profits? Sure. But if it was all about the money then why not increase the fares by a couple bucks? No one would know. There is a different mindset when one has to physically pay for something vs it being free. That’s true for many things in life.

Make your kids spend their own money on an item they want and they may just take care of it better. Same with food. If you have to come out of pocket a couple bucks per item, you are less likely to order things that you may not be able to finish. It’s the same concept at a restaurant. You don’t order everything that looks good without the intent of eating it because you have to come out of pocket.

So while it will increase their profits, it will also reduce food waste which I hope no one would have an issue with.

OK...let's do the same with the buffet, MDR, Guys, etc. Charge for every item. How do you feel about that? It's reducing food waste. You shouldn't have an issue with it.

It’s just fact. I’m 35 so, for my age group, sailing on Celebrity would probably be my next choice if I wanted a better experience and were to pay more but still sail with people close in age. Sailing with Celebrity I will pay more for better quality. But, I’m pay a **** ton more. Carnival is a budget cruise line, and the only way to remain a budget cruise line is to have small cutbacks. Sure there have been a lot of small cut backs but, for the cost of a carnival cruise it’s still the best value on the sea. Price out other cruise lines and see what policies (cutbacks) they have implemented in the last few years. For the value, Carnival is still the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I compared celebrity for the next cruise we are planning on taking (basing carnival price on the year before since they haven't released it yet) and celebrity was like 700/900 more per person for a balcony. I only checked because I knew my husband would be mad about the changes since last we cruised. Still cheaper to pay the extra fees on carnival, and so far we still really enjoy carnival.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

OK...let's do the same with the buffet, MDR, Guys, etc. Charge for every item. How do you feel about that? It's reducing food waste. You shouldn't have an issue with it.

They have already cut down on the buffet waste by not having trays. Smaller plates would take that a step further.

Guys Burgers are handed to you one, maybe 2 at a time so they have control of that. MDR once again you are served. If at any point they feel you are being ridiculous it’s easy to cut you off. You are promised food to eat at no additional charge in your fare. Specialty things like the Steakhouse, etc cost money. Room Service, one could argue, is also a specialty item. You can still get it free just not for 8 hours late at night through the wee hours of the morning. If they wanted to cut down waste even further, they should charge for it all the time. But they aren’t. Not yet anyway.

I have never used room service. Why eat in the room when there are restaurants an elevator ride away. There is nothing better than being the sole passenger on the deck at 4am looking at distant coastal lights, stars, or occasional passing ship. The usual light breeze, warm Caribbean air, while drinking lemonade and eating a whole pizza prepared just for you.

You & I are going to have company now..

Shhhh:)

Staggered check in is a huge improvement.

Samples were given by the specific companies, not Carnival. It was fun while it lasted. Celebrity doesn’t have those either.

No tablecloths. Not an issue for many.

No trays can be a PITA but again, it was because people would pile on too much food and waste it. It still does happen, but at least you can only waste what you can pile on one plate. If they were smart they would make the plates smaller to further cut down on it.

Chocolates were gross and many of them ended up behind the bed or even under the pillow. I woke up to a melted one once. Another non issue for me.

Lobster thing, OK maybe. Don’t know the reason behind that.

Bottle water I think may still be amongst the cheapest of all the cruise lines.

Camp Ocean I think has some decent hours. At least they did when my kids were little. Don’t they allow you to leave your kids there while in port? Some other cruise lines may not. But I can’t be sure. It seems like Celebrity didn’t when we went on them.

It’s 8 hours mostly in the middle of the night for a fee and they will have some other new items that aren’t an option now. I would rather have it free during the majority of the time than pay $8 all the time. Again, it’s an option. Don’t use it if you don’t want to pay. Not everyone utilizes certain things so I’m glad they didn’t add it in the cost of the cruise.

If you want to talk about nickel and diming, wait until you have to pay for a Johnny Rockets burger on RC. I hear they have a lot of for fee stuff and in most cases their cruise prices are higher.

Looking for the like button

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They have already cut down on the buffet waste by not having trays. Smaller plates would take that a step further.

Guys Burgers are handed to you one, maybe 2 at a time so they have control of that. MDR once again you are served. If at any point they feel you are being ridiculous it’s easy to cut you off. You are promised food to eat at no additional charge in your fare. Specialty things like the Steakhouse, etc cost money. Room Service, one could argue, is also a specialty item. You can still get it free just not for 8 hours late at night through the wee hours of the morning. If they wanted to cut down waste even further, they should charge for it all the time. But they aren’t. Not yet anyway.

That's not what I asked you so stop deflecting. Room service is not "specialty". It was an included "free" service, just like the buffet, MDR, Guys etc. Room service could also institute a limit.

I asked you: If you're worried about food waste, how do you feel about charging for every item at the buffet, MDR, etc? You said you hoped most people wouldn't have an issue with it. Do you have any issue with it?

It WAS! I JUST booked a cruise after not cruising on Carnival for a few years. Looked at the menus before booking....two sections to room service menu....one included section and one section for extra fee. Now this...

There is NOTHING in the contract that says room service is included. In fact, the only food included is “ordinary” food, in which room service is not.

That's not what I asked you so stop deflecting. Room service is not "specialty". It was an included "free" service, just like the buffet, MDR, Guys etc. Room service could also institute a limit.

I asked you: If you're worried about food waste, how do you feel about charging for every item at the buffet, MDR, etc? You said you hoped most people wouldn't have an issue with it. Do you have any issue with it?

It is not included, as it is not considered “ordinary ship food” and hence the reason it can have a charge. Also, it is only a charge during certain hours, with the exception of foods that were added before that have a cost.

You better calm down. I’m not deflecting. It still IS included free for 16 hours of the day. Again, as far as food waste, I explained how that is less likely to happen with the other food and why. If they charged for every item everywhere then that defeats the purpose of cruising and I wouldn’t. I would go to a land resort. Where did I say I hoped most people wouldn’t have an issue with it? You need to get your stuff straight before making accusations. What I was referring to was not about paying for things, it was about not wasting food. Do you know anyone that is against wasting food? THAT is what I don’t think people would have a problem with.

Originally posted by chill6x6

There is NOTHING in the contract that says room service is included. In fact, the only food included is “ordinary” food, in which room service is not.

Where did chill say anything about the " contract " ? Everyone talks about the " contract " I'm sure most if not all of you saw a , say , $2500 TV you wanted on sale for $1500 and then paid for it online and then when you went to get it they told you that sorry " new stock " so now you have to pay $2000 you would be jumping up and down.

It's what we read at time of booking and paying for in good faith that pisses people off when it's changed. It doesn't matter if it's $2 or $500

Now a little planning will be required. Go by the deli before getting ship-faced and stick a couple sandwiches in the refer for my midnight snack!

But see this isn't ideal. 1) I"m on vacation. I'm an obsessive planner at home and in life in general. I don't want to be on my cruise!

2) Get and take it to my room. Well, let's see. Let me just stop the fun I'm having at karaoke, or the piano bar, or in the show or where ever, go to the deli, wait to place an order and wait to get it and then walk to my room to take it to the fridge. See how much of MY PAID FOR vacation has been spent getting food that used to come to my room free.

We spend a lot of money on drinks and we close down the entertainment at the ship. We get back to our room and order us 2 sandwiches and 2 milks for our bedtime snack. It was a nice little indulgence. I think they should bill the rooms who abuse it. Not those of us who respect it.

I have kept my mouth shut on all the CCL changes until this one. I'm not pleased at all about this one.

(However, I will continue to tip. I was a waitress before my Master's degree and nice job so I get it. Too bad everyone else doesn't..)

I think it reasonable to assume that that's where the economy cruise lines are heading - and must be heading - because consumer purchasing behaviors reward them for going in that direction. There are other cruise lines available that offer a more all-inclusive experience so why cruise on Carnival instead of, say, Seabourn? To a great extent, the reason is Price. And customers will continually reward Carnival for keeping their fare increases lower than they would have been otherwise, even though Carnival is rationalizing keeping fare increases lower by cutting costs through service reductions.

As an aside, all-inclusive is not really a benefit to anyone but over-users. We talk about this on other forums with regard to Internet service. A few people get all worked up over data caps and such, but who's really upset? Mostly the people who either come close to or exceed the caps, and that's a very small portion of the customers. Most customers are actually using just a fraction of the cap (we typically use less than 20% of the cap), but they're paying the same as those who are using practically all of the cap. People using four times as much service as I am paying the same as I am; shouldn't they be paying at least 50% more if not 100% more? (They should not be paying 400% as much - there are economies of scale and fixed costs.)

To some extent we are already paying a prorated amount for our staterooms based on how much room our staterooms take up (that is one of several factors that go into determining the rate). We're surely paying a prorated amount for alcoholic beverages. While heavy users would prefer everyone pay one price, light users are getting shafted in the process. It would be fairer if we paid for our meals separately, and based on what we order and how much we eat. It would be fairer if there were charges for the entertainment rather than everyone paying for the entertainment enjoyed by some.

Don't get me wrong: I think that would be going too far (at least today). However, the way we consumers behave, and the way the business is, means that an incremental movement toward more and more of a pay-your-own-way and less and less of a pay-one-price model is appropriate.

Where did chill say anything about the " contract " ?
Someone mentioned the FTC getting involved. That means "the contract" since the FTC has to follow the law, and the law says that when there is a written contract it prevails in such matters.

My disappointment is that this lessens the bang for the buck, again. What brought me to Carnival was affordability. For the cruises I book, Carnival is now more expensive than its competitors, and doesn't offer anything more or special for the extra cost. My next cruise is Carnival, but I've booked on a competitor for the following one, which in addition to being less expensive, included what I would pay extra for on Carnival.

bUU I don't see your name on my post so please don't put words in other people's posts.
This is an open discussion. Folks will reply to comments posted whether they're directed at them or not. Cruise Critic deliberately does not offer a private messages facility.

The "outrage" (and there is a lot of it on that other site) comes from the death-by-a-thousand-cuts strategy Carnival has adopted. I shamelessly lifted this list of changes from someone else:

*Staggered Check In Time

*Sample of amenities in bathroom removed

*No tablecloths

*No trays to hold plates

*Chocolate on pillows removed

*Turndown option

*No lobster on cruises with less than 5 days

*Bottle water increase

*Camp Carnival hours/fees

*Fee for Room Service

*Now No room service w/o a fee from 10-6

It's getting ridiculous and people are fed up with things being taken away and service being cut. All in the name of keeping the base price in the "value" range. When you start adding on all of these extra fees and a la carte price increases, Carnival might be MORE expensive than a competing cruise line.

Personally, I'm done. I have a 7 day this May on Carnival and that's it. Later in the year I'm booking another cruise for the family and we're going with RC. It might be better, it might be the same or worse than Carnival. But I'm voting with my wallet and trying something new.

And people keep saying RC charges $7.95 for room service. Fine with me, because that includes all you can order. In my situation, where I only order room service at night, it's going to be cheaper on RC versus paying for every darn item with Carnival.

I'm happy to see a dissatisfied customer (finally) voting with his/her wallet. All these posters who continually slam CCL but still give them their hard-earned money baffle me. Thankfully, none of the "cutbacks" really affect me - or at least not enough to go elsewhere. As far as businesses cutting back - it's either that or raising prices. I don't expect things to stay the same - just like I expect a raise every once in awhile from my employer, I expect businesses to need more to keep up with inflation too.

FYI, the cost of doing business for cruise lines (and pretty much all other businesses) increases and to expect the same perks without cost is a little naïve.

Again, the cuts haven't really been an issue for me - but if and when they do become an issue, I will seek other forms of vacation. Right now the cuts are preferable to large cost increases. AND YES I KNOW THERE HAVE BEEN SOME PRICE INCREASES, but nothing more than I would expect to see.

I didn't mention a contract. I haven't cruised on Carnival in a while so I looked at Carnival's site(and CC too) and read up on basically everything Carnival before booking an 8-day aboard the Conquest in a GS. Checked the room service situation in particular which I decided I could live with which was some good items included in the price delivered ANYTIME. For me there are really only three times I really need room service...coming in after a port day, late at night, and early in the morning. So this cuts into two of those three times...

As a side note consider I have never paid extra for room service for 15 cruises over 5 cruise lines.

I can definitely see why no more room service the morning of debarkation. This way people have to get out of their cabins if they want to eat (and hopefully will do so early and then leave right from Lido deck), and a lot less mess for the Room Stewards to clean up when turning over the cabins. With less manpower, any way they can streamline the process, the better. It should help them to be able to work more efficiently and get the cabins ready sooner. Well one can only hope. I never understood why they allowed room service that morning anyway. There's so much going on already. Now you have delivery people running around, and more dirty dishes and food to clean up. I think it makes perfect sense.

I agree!

And then he wants us to tip them one to $2 in addition. I know I'm going to get flamed for this and I don't care. I guess the tip money will be going to food now.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

So is your name Addison and did you write to John Heald or is this another example of him reading things here and making fake letters?