Room Service!

khewston

Does that translate into other patterns that differentiate the regular cruisers of one cruise line from the regular cruisers of another cruise line? (Without commenting on what those differences might be, I think we have to admit that...) logically, it would.

Definitely.

However, humans are rarely logical. I have found, as a whole, that the amount of money spent on anything does not mean that the person acts any different than any one else.

However, humans are rarely logical. I have found, as a whole, that the amount of money spent on anything does not mean that the person acts any different than any one else.
What about other mechanisms? If two different companies do the same thing, but have radically different ways of promoting their products and services - one highlighting fun and one highlighting elegance, let's say - why wouldn't you expect that to stratify the customers between the two companies in some substantive way?

Thanks for posting the new menu. The complementary items are boring.

Maybe the new diamond perk will be free room service for an entire cruise - one-time. That and the one-time specialty restaurant make me want diamond.

What about other mechanisms? If two different companies do the same thing, but have radically different ways of promoting their products and services - one highlighting fun and one highlighting elegance, let's say - why wouldn't you expect that to stratify the customers between the two companies in some substantive way?

There is be some, yes. I am just speaking from experience. I have worked in many high end resorts and hotels that promote elegance over fun and have seen just how much “fun” they have had.

Just because someone spends hundreds, even thousands, of dollars more or less for a room and have trashed it, while others have left it in a better condition then when they rented it.

Here's the way the room service choices were when I booked my cruise for November 2018:

Room-service-menu-744x754.jpg

This is what we saw in Dec on the Magic, some items you had to pay for some not!

A remedy to those 'if' it is something new we didn't experience, and you eat late,,,,

Grab a guy's burger before 6, and leave it in your room for later. I can eat guy's burgers cold, no problem!;p

Grab some bacon, and bread at breakfast, and bring it back to your room for a late nite snack.

Ask the restaurant for something off the menu to go, my wife took 2 bowls of her favorite soup back to the room, cause she liked it cold too. I grabbed a couple deserts.;)

There's plenty of food options in the buffet you can take back to your room for a later/late nite snack.

We always get extra muffins with our AM room service, we like the chocolate/banana/and lemon ones, and they are good for a late night snack!

As far as the plates in the hall, as long as they aren't in front of my door, I care less!

As far as waste, they've been recyling food leftovers to pig farms for years! Enjoy your BBQ!-))

There is be some, yes. I am just speaking from experience. I have worked in many high end resorts and hotels that promote elegance over fun and have seen just how much “fun” they have had. Just because someone spends hundreds, even thousands, of dollars more or less for a room and have trashed it, while others have left it in a better condition then when they rented it.
But firemanbobswife and I are talking about preponderances - not anecdotal people nor anecdotal incidents. And I was specifically talking about friendliness and conviviality: So, if you are trying to tell me that you think that, let's say, there are just as many regular Holland America cruise passengers who are as friendly and convivial as Carnival, then I'm sorry but I don't buy that for a minute. On the basis of preponderances, there are differences in the customer base.

But firemanbobswife and I are talking about preponderances - not anecdotal people nor anecdotal incidents. And I was specifically talking about friendliness and conviviality: So, if you are trying to tell me that you think that, let's say, there are just as many regular Holland America cruise passengers who are as friendly and convivial as Carnival, then I'm sorry but I don't buy that for a minute. On the basis of preponderances, there are differences in the customer base.

I am simply saying that not every person that spends more or less for something has the same friendliness or conviviality. While the base as a whole may be 1 way or the other, that does not mean each person.

I am simply saying that not every person that spends more or less for something has the same friendliness or conviviality. While the base as a whole may be 1 way or the other, that does not mean each person.
I agree completely. The reason why I've belabored the point is that firemanbobswife's message might have gotten lost in talk about "not every person". Her point was, "But there is an obvious difference in clientele and atmosphere on other lines." She didn't say that every person was the same. And her point was important because it is the preponderance that governs things like what we're talking about in this thread. The fact that a few passengers are different isn't going to matter much with regard to the guest experience. The guest experience is going to be affected mostly by the nature of the typical guest.

I agree completely. The reason why I've belabored the point is that firemanbobswife's message might have gotten lost in talk about "not every person". Her point was, "But there is an obvious difference in clientele and atmosphere on other lines." She didn't say that every person was the same. And her point was important because it is the preponderance that governs things like what we're talking about in this thread. The fact that a few passengers are different isn't going to matter much with regard to the guest experience. The guest experience is going to be affected mostly by the nature of the typical guest.

Very true, when I think of Holland I think of sleep, when I think of Celebrity I think of nose in the air, when I think of Royal it is more of meh and when I think of Carnival I smile .

I am a simple person and enjoy simple things.

I read some of the comments on his Facebook site. Talk about shooting the messenger! I feel really bad for him. While it may be his job to relay info to the public, he doesn’t deserve to be disrespected. Some people could really benefit from a Netiquette class.

The man needs to be respected.I really do feel bad for him.

The man needs to be respected.I really do feel bad for him.

His Schtick is to be buddy buddy with everyone then drop bad news on them. He doesn’t need to do either, Carnival can put out a press release like all the other companies. I do feel bad that some people are so belligerent towards him, it’s a bit much, but he has designed his role to be the persona of the company.

His Schtick is to be buddy buddy with everyone then drop bad news on them. He doesn’t need to do either, Carnival can put out a press release like all the other companies. I do feel bad that some people are so belligerent towards him, it’s a bit much, but he has designed his role to be the persona of the company.
It is the role Carnival has given him. He has made it his, but he is not doing any of this without Carnival overseeing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Wait a minute - it's not about being lazy. I am far from it. Thank you very much.

At 9 pm I am in the piano bar having a blast. So let me leave my seat (that I won't get back) and lose my momentum with my friends and walk to the lido and take that food back to my room. Or go back to my room and order, wait for it and then leave. Oh sure I'll have it when I get back at 2 am or 3 am but I lost some of my "fun time" on the ship doing something I didn't have to do before. It's vacation. I don't want to be looking at my watch to see what I time I need to leave one activity so I can plan for when I will eat later.

I think those of you who are not upset are stuffy old boring people who are in bed at 9 pm on your vacation anyway. Gotcha didn't I? See....didn't that feel nice for me to stereotype ya'll like that. No....what's going on here is too many people thinking that the way you cruise is the way the rest of us cruise - and it's not. We don't come back to our cabin drunk and order 25 things. We come back to our cabin at 2 or 3 am and order A sandwich. Guess I'll pack my peanut butter and loaf bread......

Oh quit being so dramatic. You can still order your milk and sandwich. Except now it’s going to cost you a few bucks. Drink one less drink in the piano bar and it all evens out.

Or - if you want to eat at 2 or 3 a.m. after having fun around the ship and you don't want to take advantage of the free option (pizza), you will have to be willing to pay out $2 - $5.

I don't think that everyone ordering after 10:00 p.m. are a bunch of drunks - I've ordered a sandwich numerous times after midnight - but I know that in my experience, the few times I cruised with family and there were teenage boys along - OMG, they ordered Room Service every night & ordered many items each just because it was free. Considering there are many teenagers on every cruise - I guarantee you my experience wasn't unusual. Hell, if I were a teenager, I would be doing the same thing.

So, will charging a fee mean less waste - probably. Is this the reason behind the decision - I doubt that it was the main reason. BUT, I also don't think this decision is going to stop very many people, if any, from sailing on CCL ships.

Personally, if it will make room service between 10 p.m. - 6 a.m. faster because the staff is not running around all over the ship schlepping out free food - I don't mind paying extra and the expanded menu looks pretty good.

We all have to make decisions as to what is important to each of us and if a company is not providing what is important to you, choose another company. But to expect everything to stay the same is a little unrealistic. All businesses will do what they need to do to better their profits - prices go up or services go down at times to meet this need.

Exactly. Great post!

Oh quit being so dramatic.
While I agree with you that ricew001's grievance does not have much merit, I don't think it's because it is "dramatic". What ricew001 said actually works against that grievance: "....what's going on here is too many people thinking that the way you cruise is the way the rest of us cruise - and it's not." ricew001's grievance only holds water if what ricew001 said wasn't true. The fact is that it was true ... different people cruise differently ... and so the fact that this change is a big deal to ricew001 doesn't mean it is necessarily a big deal in general.

There is no question that some (very) small number of passengers will decide never to cruise on Carnival again (until they do) based on this change. There is no question that some more, but still a small number of, passengers will be critically disappointed. However, what Carnival evidently has determined that the number of passengers so disappointed, and the general depth of disappointment, will be much lower than the up-side they're going to gain from the change.

Maybe they can have Shaq deliver the 'bad news' from now on instead, and people won't get as upset. [emoji6]

Am I the only one that's unhappy that it seems like they got rid of the veggies and dip on the new menu?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Oh quit being so dramatic. You can still order your milk and sandwich. Except now it’s going to cost you a few bucks. Drink one less drink in the piano bar and it all evens out.

Excellent!!!!! Most of us here get it. I’ll. always be amazed that people dish out thousands for the cruise and drinks but come here to complain about a $5 meal after 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Excellent!!!!! Most of us here get it. I’ll. always be amazed that people dish out thousands for the cruise and drinks but come here to complain about a $5 meal after 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think it’s BECAUSE they’ve dished out thousands.

Bummer for me. Late night isn't an issue. I daily request coffee before 6:00 am from room service.

I know it's usually not available at Lido buffet areas because I have tried that route. I have tried many times and am very familiar with little signs saying sorry, coffee machine is being cleaned.

Eliminating early morning free coffee from room service is pathetic.

That's interesting, because I typically am up at 5am, heading straight to the Lido deck for coffee and have never not been able to get it. Just providing another perspective.

Cheers!

That's interesting, because I typically am up at 5am, heading straight to the Lido deck for coffee and have never not been able to get it. Just providing another perspective.

Cheers!

It’s been a couple years but before speciality coffees were included in Cheers I would get Lido coffee around 6am with no problem .

f078f1d543305fb46362172be5457b9b.jpg

Here is the new menu

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for posting this. It clarifies things. I was thinking that items like the peanut butter and jelly sandwich that were free during the day, would cost a few bucks after 10pm, but that is not the case, it's not even on the Late Night menu. Same with the cookies. So even if you were willing to pay more for cookies and milk at midnight delivered to your cabin, you can't.