Room Service!

khewston

I think this can save several tens of thousands per week per ship which will go directly to the bottom line.
It is impossible to say that this will go "directly" to the bottom line. It will go directly to the middle line, reducing expense, perhaps. But we don't know to what extent this is happening in concert with other changes such as a fare increase for 2019 that is less than it otherwise would have been absent this, and other, cost reductions. Managing a pricing and service model is far more complicated than you're making it out to be, by refusing to acknowledge that there are more moving parts than the one that you're choosing to focus on.

That said, I have booked three future cruises with Carnival, and included was 24 hour complementary room service. How will Carnival roll out this new policy to avoid FTC problems for persons already booked?
Again: What paragraph of the contract are the violating?

Well they made us (yes made us) bring rum runners, now we have to bring food runners. Geez Carnival.
Geez repo-cruiser. This is a really scurrilous rationalization for your own decision to engage in inappropriate behavior - nothing more.

There have been changes to service like this made by cruise lines regularly over the years. While this is very disappointing for us passengers, the cruise line is doing nothing wrong. And even if they were, nothing here warrants you as a passenger doing something wrong.

Let's be disappointed - even upset - but not absurdly transgressive.

Carnival is a business. And I bet they know more about what will bolster and what will hurt their business than you do.

So Carnival knows better what I want than I do. ??? Not likely.

Read what I wrote more carefully and with an intention to understand its meaning rather than just to have something defensive to say in response.

Carnival knows more about what will bolster and what will hurt their business than you do.

Even if you don't like what they do.

Edited by bUU

Don't forget the other ones Carnival raised just recently. Cheers program and gratuity on fun shops. That's 3 increases in 4 months ? When I booked these weren't there and I expected them at the price of when I booked

Sent from my SM-G950W using Forums mobile app

They gave fair warning of the price increase of Cheers and there was time to purchase it ahead of time at the lower price.

All these things are optional. No one is forcing you to buy them nor do you need them in order to cruise at the price you booked. That’s locked in. Prices of things change all the time. That’s life.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2534896&highlight=coffee+pot

Here is a thread I started about this very topic. It sure would be nice

While it would be nice, do you think Carnival would spend the extra money to have guests trash them? Heck they even had to get rid of the sheer curtains in the OV cabins because people were ripping and tearing them down and it was costing too much to keep replacing them. It’s a sad fact that many people that cruise Carnival just don’t care enough to respect property.

Have you ever walked by when the room

stewards have doors propped open and seen the cabins completely in shambles with clothes and trash strewn about?

While it would be nice, do you think Carnival would spend the extra money to have guests trash them? Heck they even had to get rid of the sheer curtains in the OV cabins because people were ripping and tearing them down and it was costing too much to keep replacing them. It’s a sad fact that many people that cruise Carnival just don’t care enough to respect property.

Have you ever walked by when the room

stewards have doors propped open and seen the cabins completely in shambles with clothes and trash strewn about?

I agree, Maybe it's something they can "offer" at booking time. Wont ever happen, but I can dream..lol

Yes, I seen some cabins wrecked while walking by. I guess when certain people are on vacation all cares go out the window.

I thought the concern there was the safety of such devices vis a vis fire. Don't some cruise lines confiscate small coffee makers that passengers may carry aboard?

I'm sure that's just one of a few factors why they don't have them..

I thought the concern there was the safety of such devices vis a vis fire. Don't some cruise lines confiscate small coffee makers that passengers may carry aboard?

Yes but some cruise lines do have them. Carnival was supposed to be offering Kuregs as part of the suites, or at least that what I remember hearing, but that never came to fruition. The difference of having the cruise line provide the equipment vs guests bringing their own is that Carnival can inspect and make sure the equipment is in good working order to minimize the risk of fire. Much like the irons in the laundry room.

So Carnival knows better what I want than I do. ??? Not likely.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Didn’t say anything about knowing more about YOUR wants, it said Carnival knows more about bolstering/hurting bottom line than you do.

Huge difference!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't think it's so much a safety issue as it is a combination of the cost and mess. Like someone above said, some CCL cruisers seem to like to trash their rooms. I've also passed by those rooms that look like a cyclone has gone off in them. NCL has coffee makers in balcony cabins and above. I doubt they'd do that if there were a fire risk.

Anyone notice that in the last year room service has gotten extremely slow. This was a plan by Carnival for a long time now in my opinion. Half the food waste they are referring to is because I got tired of waiting for my order and just gave up.

My Daughter ran into this on the Paradise last month. Dad, I ordered fries an hour ago and no one has delivered and I don't want to miss the thing at somewhere. Well call and cancel the order. I tried, no one has answered the phone for half an hour.

I don't think it's so much a safety issue as it is a combination of the cost and mess. Like someone above said, some CCL cruisers seem to like to trash their rooms. I've also passed by those rooms that look like a cyclone has gone off in them. NCL has coffee makers in balcony cabins and above. I doubt they'd do that if there were a fire risk.

If fire was their true concern, no one would be smoking on the ship. I have seen several people on the lido deck smoking area flick their cigarettes off the side. On my cruise on the dream, I kept finding cigarette butts on my balcony and they were either coming from above or the sides.

I can understand why this is happening. In the past I’ve ordered room service at night and it takes so long to get delivered that I’m ready to go to bed and not in the mood to eat anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I get that. Once we stayed at an AI and ordered room service kind of late (maybe 10:30 or so). DH had been drinking and I was very newly pregnant (when you are tired all the time) so we both fell asleep waiting for it. They had those little sliding tray door things (dumbwaiter maybe) so it was there, waiting for us in the cabinet. Opps. Other than that, we always make it a point to stay awake.

Maybe have more late night options available besides room service or pizza. I am not sure exactly what they have because we usually are not hungry before we are sleepy due to a substantial dinner and drinks after, but sometimes I would not mind a little snack- like tacos, sliders, chicken strips etc. You know- bar or after bar type food. Does Carnival have any of that? If not, then maybe they should.

To anyone who really believes that charging for late night room service due to food waste is the real reason for this' date=' I know of a very nice bridge,hardly ever used, over the Hudson River that is for sale at a very reasonable price.[/quote']

So true!

I guess dollar store to the rescue for a tray to balance out our coffee to our room on our last morning. We've always looked forward to that pot on debarkation morning. It gave us a chance to finish the packing and all that good stuff. Bags packed, room inspection for forgotten goods.

I guess dollar store to the rescue for a tray to balance out our coffee to our room on our last morning. We've always looked forward to that pot on debarkation morning. It gave us a chance to finish the packing and all that good stuff. Bags packed, room inspection for forgotten goods.
The no breakfast on debarkation morning is the part I like the least, but understand the most. I'd prefer to be able to get breakfast in my room while I finish packing, getting ready, etc. and not have to schlep around all of my bags to a dining room or to the Lido.

On the other hand, I can see where that is extremely time-consuming and making a lot more demands on the crew to have to deliver breakfast on the changeover day. Plus, I'm sure it prompts more people to stay in their rooms longer than if they had gone to breakfast.

We usually pick up our son at 10 p.m. from the kids club, then get a snack or dessert. We only used room service once or twice on our last cruise for this, because there were still options on the Lido to grab on my way down to our room. That said, I hope they do expand what is available at that time for self service if room service is a charge option now. I'd actually rather grab it myself than have to wait an hour and fight falling asleep or have my son disturbed because he's already out.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

The no breakfast on debarkation morning is the part I like the least, but understand the most. I'd prefer to be able to get breakfast in my room while I finish packing, getting ready, etc. and not have to schlep around all of my bags to a dining room or to the Lido.

On the other hand, I can see where that is extremely time-consuming and making a lot more demands on the crew to have to deliver breakfast on the changeover day. Plus, I'm sure it prompts more people to stay in their rooms longer than if they had gone to breakfast.

We usually pick up our son at 10 p.m. from the kids club, then get a snack or dessert. We only used room service once or twice on our last cruise for this, because there were still options on the Lido to grab on my way down to our room. That said, I hope they do expand what is available at that time for self service if room service is a charge option now. I'd actually rather grab it myself than have to wait an hour and fight falling asleep or have my son disturbed because he's already out.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

A double edged sword for us. Coffee in our room saves us time to clear the room sooner, plus saves us from lugging things around. But they save manpower not delivering. We don't take advantage of the room service any other times . Usually one of us runs upstairs for the coffee, but the last morning is hard to do.So I'm thinking grab creamer/sugars and sitters the night before, skip the tray, maybe bring our travel mugs and fill them (with their cups of course)

One of my concerns about having to go to lido to get coffee on debarkation morning is the elevator service, it's hard to get an elevator to get to the meeting place for your debarkation. So now if you are a coffee drinker you will have to get an elevator to lido, get coffee and/or danish, get elevator back to room, get last minute things done, then get elevator again to get to your meeting place. Not my choice for "Choose Fun". The rest of the room service change doesn't bother me, but the coffee does.

If fire was their true concern, no one would be smoking on the ship. I have seen several people on the lido deck smoking area flick their cigarettes off the side. On my cruise on the dream, I kept finding cigarette butts on my balcony and they were either coming from above or the sides.

No one is to smoke on their balconies or in their cabins. This is a policy that Carnival has had for a very long time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually the contract says “ordinary ship food” does not include room server per say.
Precisely. This is one of those things that the cruise line can change without notice and without being expected to offer compensation.

I'll flame you too. If you can't afford to tip, don't order room service. Get your happy PJ'ed butt out of the room and go get your own food for free.

This is like people who don't tip the pizza delivery driver because they have to pay a delivery fee, even though that fee is not passed on to the driver.

:rolleyes:

Wow man!

Can't you just feel the love here? :D

NCL and RC charge for room service too.

I'm sorry but I'm still not understanding the "outrage" over having an 8 hour window of room service still being available albeit with a menu of surcharged items. Especially during a time when a large portion of people are asleep for the majority of the "pay window".

The "outrage" (and there is a lot of it on that other site) comes from the death-by-a-thousand-cuts strategy Carnival has adopted. I shamelessly lifted this list of changes from someone else:

*Staggered Check In Time

*Sample of amenities in bathroom removed

*No tablecloths

*No trays to hold plates

*Chocolate on pillows removed

*Turndown option

*No lobster on cruises with less than 5 days

*Bottle water increase

*Camp Carnival hours/fees

*Fee for Room Service

*Now No room service w/o a fee from 10-6

It's getting ridiculous and people are fed up with things being taken away and service being cut. All in the name of keeping the base price in the "value" range. When you start adding on all of these extra fees and a la carte price increases, Carnival might be MORE expensive than a competing cruise line.

Personally, I'm done. I have a 7 day this May on Carnival and that's it. Later in the year I'm booking another cruise for the family and we're going with RC. It might be better, it might be the same or worse than Carnival. But I'm voting with my wallet and trying something new.

And people keep saying RC charges $7.95 for room service. Fine with me, because that includes all you can order. In my situation, where I only order room service at night, it's going to be cheaper on RC versus paying for every darn item with Carnival.