First MSC Cruise - MSC Seaside 12-30-2017 Sailing_Review with Pictures

Tall-Cruiser

Thank you for taking the time to post your thorough review. We saw Seaside while in Miami and are intrigued.

An early post mentioned reciprocity with RCI. How does this work and what are the benefits? We’re Diamond on Royal.

Thank you, again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is no charge to walk around Atlantis. There are some areas that you cannot go into unless you are a hotel guest. Also, in order to visit the Aquarium you have to purchase tickets to do the tour. Access to the water park is also by ticket and the last time I checked it wasn't cheap.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for taking the time to post your thorough review. We saw Seaside while in Miami and are intrigued.

An early post mentioned reciprocity with RCI. How does this work and what are the benefits? We’re Diamond on Royal.

Thank you, again.

joand452 - Thanks for your comments

Like you we are Diamond with RCI. As a Diamond on RCI, MSC will give you a status match of their highest level, Black Card. To get the status match, log into your RCI C&A account and print the page with your C&A status and details. Send this information to MSC. The process goes faster to get a status match if you are also booking a cruise and talking to one of the MSC agents directly. That's how we did it.

They have a lot of good benefits including 5% discount on cruises. See link below for more details.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/MSC-Voyagers-Club/Voyagers-Club.aspx

Good luck.

Thank you, again.

MSC matches your loyalty status - cal customer service and tell them you're interested in booking a cruise and matching your loyalty status with RCI.

OR go to their website https://www.msccruisesusa.com and click on "Voyagers Club" and then "Status Match Program." There you will find all necessary information and can click on links to apply for a match.

As to the benefits, you'll likely be matched to MSC Black.

These are the privileges:

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Assets/16740_43_Griglia_benefit_USA_1.pdf

Hope it helps.

Hi Tall-Cruiser. I've been following this review since you posted it. Thanks so much for taking the time to put together such an informative and unbiased review. And I even learned how to post pics from your review! I was following with interest because you mentioned that you were mainly RCI cruisers before this as are we. We are trying out MSC for the first time this July, not because we don't love RCI but because the price of the YC compared to RCI suite class was too good of a deal to turn down. Anyway, I loved your breakdown of final thoughts at the end but in the end would you say the two lines are similar or is one clearly the front-runner over the other? And I still cannot get over the "elevator" process that you mentioned? How does the elevator even track that since there are also restaurants and pools on Decks 16 and 18?

We were on Divina and the YC elevator over-ride was there also. I guess it's a perk of being in the YC and is the same on all MSC ships. We were in the Yacht Club, so we had no problem with it.;p

I gather from all the comments on no curfew for kids that there were a lot of kids out and about (with or without parents?).

Hope they get to the bottom of the ship smell and fix it.:(

We were on Divina and the YC elevator over-ride was there also. I guess it's a perk of being in the YC and is the same on all MSC ships. We were in the Yacht Club, so we had no problem with it.;p

But how does that even work when there are non-YC areas on those decks too? Is there an over-ride button? How do they track who is going to the YC and who is going to the public areas?

Thank you for the review, I just read it all and enjoyed it! The ship is so beautiful and I appreciate the food photos. We are sailing on the Meraviglia soon so not on the Seaside, but it's all still good to see :)

I'm guessing that the 3 dinner seating is because of European guests and their late dining preference. On our cruise we have been told the early sitting will be around 7pm and the late one 9.30pm. So with 3 sittings they are trying to accommodate both American and European dining preferences. As we are from the UK, the 7pm 'early' sitting is just right for us!

Oh and one last thing, how adorable were those little chocolate ships?! I would definitely never eat those.

But how does that even work when there are non-YC areas on those decks too? Is there an over-ride button? How do they track who is going to the YC and who is going to the public areas?

It doesn't work for all elevators.

Only those elevators that go to the YC area.(only)

You have to insert your card for it to over-ride.

To be honest, we never quiet figured it out....sometimes we got it to work and sometimes it didn't.

It doesn't work for all elevators.

Only those elevators that go to the YC area.(only)

You have to insert your card for it to over-ride.

To be honest, we never quiet figured it out....sometimes we got it to work and sometimes it didn't.

Gotcha! Thanks! I don't know if I would ever do that though....

Thanks again CC family

69699f85fbefb95fe9486f91c30eb3b0.jpg

Thank you, TC!! It takes a lot of time and effort to put a good review together - this one is fantastic! Well done. I'm sure it will offer very valuable insights to anyone booked, or considering booking, Seaside.

Hi Tall-Cruiser. I've been following this review since you posted it. Thanks so much for taking the time to put together such an informative and unbiased review. And I even learned how to post pics from your review! I was following with interest because you mentioned that you were mainly RCI cruisers before this as are we. We are trying out MSC for the first time this July, not because we don't love RCI but because the price of the YC compared to RCI suite class was too good of a deal to turn down. Anyway, I loved your breakdown of final thoughts at the end but in the end would you say the two lines are similar or is one clearly the front-runner over the other? And I still cannot get over the "elevator" process that you mentioned? How does the elevator even track that since there are also restaurants and pools on Decks 16 and 18?

Lovetocruise - Thanks for your comments and following the review.

MSC vs RCI? Wow! I am inclined to say that even though both companies are in the cruise business it's hard to put them side to side as apples to apples. Why do I say this? For me (key word "me"), the Oasis Class ships have set a high bar in cruising that you cannot compare offerings and other things to any ship currently out there. If I had never sailed the Oasis Class my view would be different. With MSC building more ships and tweaking things the gap may narrow.

MSC ships including Seaside are beautiful and the pricing is great. Every time I get a RCI email with the latest sales, it's a joke (to me). With their current pricing, I will probably never see the inside of a Grand Suite on a Oasis or Freedom Class ship because of how high it is. On the other hand, MSC offers good pricing and even for their highest level, YC (which I will try next time).

There are certain things that RCI does better or differently but, as MSC adapts to changes requested by its constomers things will imporove a lot. One can argue that, if my initial exposure was MSC my perspective would be different because that's what I would be use to and like.

With respect to the elevator issue (I think only the forward elevator on Seaside), I don't fault any YC person. That's how MSC decided to do things and YC people are entitled to enjoy the offerings they purchased. I would not feel comfortable erasing everyone else's button on the elevator. That's just me :)

Lovetocruise - Thanks for your comments and following the review.

MSC vs RCI? Wow! I am inclined to say that even though both companies are in the cruise business it's hard to put them side to side as apples to apples. Why do I say this? For me (key word "me"), the Oasis Class ships have set a high bar in cruising that you cannot compare offerings and other things to any ship currently out there. If I had never sailed the Oasis Class my view would be different. With MSC building more ships and tweaking things the gap may narrow.

MSC ships including Seaside are beautiful and the pricing is great. Every time I get a RCI email with the latest sales, it's a joke (to me). With their current pricing, I will probably never see the inside of a Grand Suite on a Oasis or Freedom Class ship because of how high it is. On the other hand, MSC offers good pricing and even for their highest level, YC (which I will try next time).

There are certain things that RCI does better or differently but, as MSC adapts to changes requested by its constomers things will imporove a lot. One can argue that, if my initial exposure was MSC my perspective would be different because that's what I would be use to and like.

With respect to the elevator issue (I think only the forward elevator on Seaside), I don't fault any YC person. That's how MSC decided to do things and YC people are entitled to enjoy the offerings they purchased. I would not feel comfortable erasing everyone else's button on the elevator. That's just me :)

That makes total sense when you put it that way. So would you say that Seaside is more of a freedom ship? Would that be a closer comparison? I completely love Oasis class. Sailed every one so far and the only reason that I looked to Seaside in the first place was because Symphony is still in Europe this summer. But I am looking forward to trying Seaside and will go with an open mind.

And I don't think I could over-ride everyone either [emoji4]

But how else would you get "home."

If your YC cabin was on Deck 18, and the elevator only goes to 18 if you have a card in, what would you do?

As I said on Divina sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. We'd put our card in and either it went directly to the YC or it stopped along the way.

It probably had something to do with us not doing it right.:o

Great review did you have any problems with sewage smell from your room?

I gather from all the comments on no curfew for kids that there were a lot of kids out and about (with or without parents?).

Hope they get to the bottom of the ship smell and fix it.:(

William. Thanks for your feedback. There was no sewage smell in or near our cabin. Most of the smell came from the area between the forward and aft elevators. On my review of day 2, I mentioned during the Meet and Mingle that a Senior Officer told us about the problem. Part of it as he said had to do with how the ship was constructed, piping, angles of pipes and the toilet paper being used. Yes they had to find a place to source special toilet paper to help with this problem.

Mafig - Yes the elevator thing took me by surprise. I cannot and will not fault any YC person. They should enjoy all the benefits they were given :). It's the system of how it works that I think need to be considered.

Kids - Yes there were lots of kids around late night with no adults around. There were times we saw very young kids in the elevator by themselves late in the evening.

Smell - They are aware and working on it. By the way, we did not even ask, the Officer volunteered the info.

Thank you for the review, I just read it all and enjoyed it! The ship is so beautiful and I appreciate the food photos. We are sailing on the Meraviglia soon so not on the Seaside, but it's all still good to see :)

I'm guessing that the 3 dinner seating is because of European guests and their late dining preference. On our cruise we have been told the early sitting will be around 7pm and the late one 9.30pm. So with 3 sittings they are trying to accommodate both American and European dining preferences. As we are from the UK, the 7pm 'early' sitting is just right for us!

Oh and one last thing, how adorable were those little chocolate ships?! I would definitely never eat those.

Thanks very much for your feedback and comments. I see your point about accommodating European guest. For some reason I did think they would enjoy a 9:45PM dinner. There were days, those of us that where in the second seating of 7:45 felt rushed. When the lights went off and on a few time, well time to get your desert and coffee and leave. Still not a reason not to cruise. Since now we know, we can plan better next time.

The Chocalate ship is in our refrigerator. Like you, I can't bring myself to eat such a beautiful thing. :)

Thank you, TC!! It takes a lot of time and effort to put a good review together - this one is fantastic! Well done. I'm sure it will offer very valuable insights to anyone booked, or considering booking, Seaside.

Bea - Thanks very much for that and it means a lot coming from you. I have followed and appreciate your posting, objectivity and knowledge of MSC and cruising. So thanks for all the Intel you keep passing along to us.

But how else would you get "home."

If your YC cabin was on Deck 18, and the elevator only goes to 18 if you have a card in, what would you do?

As I said on Divina sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. We'd put our card in and either it went directly to the YC or it stopped along the way.

It probably had something to do with us not doing it right.:o

The problem is not the elevator going to 18 but the override erases everyone else. Maybe the YC person gets the express treatment, but don't erase everyone else's choice. I think that's fair?

Trust me I'm staying in a YC next time but, not because of the elevator :)

Thanks so much for all the time you spent on this review ! The information and pictures are invaluable !

I am concerned about the nasty smell . When we cruised the Divina last year , they had plumbing issues from the aft pool that saturated the Black and White Lounge carpet and the carpets just outside that near the bank of elevators . Although they claimed it was only water , the smell was atrocious ! And the stench lasted for 4 days and wafted clear up to our deck on 13 ! Do you think the situation on the Seaside is something they can address ?

Again , thank you for your help and your willingness to answer our questions . I love Cruise Critic and the good folks like you !

That makes total sense when you put it that way. So would you say that Seaside is more of a freedom ship? Would that be a closer comparison? I completely love Oasis class. Sailed every one so far and the only reason that I looked to Seaside in the first place was because Symphony is still in Europe this summer. But I am looking forward to trying Seaside and will go with an open mind.

And I don't think I could over-ride everyone either [emoji4]

Yes a better comparison would be Freedom Class.

Go ahead and try Seaside with an open mind. You are lucky that there are lots of reviews coming out which will help you to decide cabin and category.