State Department Mexico Travel Ban

jlesw

My sister in law lives in PV 6 months every year from October to the end of April and is there right now. NO problems. When I booked my first cruise in 1984 there were travel warnings in Mexico and went anyway. What we found was Military police on every corner and never ever saw any violence. Since 1984 we have been to Mexico at least 50 times and they still have military present. Mexico want tourism and the citizens depend on it for survival. For us in the US we have cities everywhere that are not safe but we go into them anyway. The news was comparing a catholic country to Yemen this morning. The same newscaster who was vacationing in Cabo over New Years. There are a lot of Americans who live in Mexico and Cabo is more American than Mexican.

Exactly- It's been that way for years and the government has done little to fix the situation.

Add Jamaica to the banned list as far as I'm concerned.

On October 2017, there was a mass shooting in Las Vegas, 59 people death and 546 injured.

Should we stop going to Las Vegas or the US in General?.

Its a highly dangerous situation that in any place you could be shot, including one of the most touristic places in the US!.

Edited by princessfanboy

And remembering.... there were also a shooting at FLL airport, just on December 2016(one year ago), so we should not go to Fort Lauderdale.

And there was also an other shooting at A night club in Orlando, Florida, I’m gonna miss Mickey Mouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There's more to Florida than Mickey Mouse.

On October 2017, there was a mass shooting in Las Vegas, 59 people death and 546 injured.

Should we stop going to Las Vegas or the US in General?.

Its a highly dangerous situation that in any place you could be shot, including one of the most touristic places in the US!.

I get promotions all the time to go to Las Vegas. Cheap flights, cheap luxury hotel room, free food, free tickets to shows. Cheap vacation - no thank you. I can't stand walking down the street and every 5 feet there's someone in your face handing you post cards of naked women. Nothing can be done about it because it free speech and free press.

And remembering.... there were also a shooting at FLL airport, just on December 2016(one year ago), so we should not go to Fort Lauderdale.

And there was also an other shooting at A night club in Orlando, Florida, I’m gonna miss Mickey Mouse.

Oh and that poor child who got ate by an alligator. We must not forget about that tragic incident.

I get promotions all the time to go to Las Vegas. Cheap flights, cheap luxury hotel room, free food, free tickets to shows. Cheap vacation - no thank you. I can't stand walking down the street and every 5 feet there's someone in your face handing you post cards of naked women. Nothing can be done about it because it free speech and free press.

Doesn’t change the fact, that there is Quite a lot of crime in the US, Las Vegas is just an example, what about all the shootings at US schools, all around the US, not just some states, areas.

The world should make some travel alerts for the US, like the one that Britain have, or more countries.

Jalisco (home of PV) is not on this list. San Jose Del Cabo is a different city than Cabo San Lucas and San Jose Del Cabo is where there is more risk.

I stayed in San Jose del Cabo last week for business. I walked all over the place, strolled along the beach from the hotel, enjoyed the local cuisine at several restaurants, watched families playing at outdoor children parks. Overall, it had the feel of a quiet, very clean, safe, sleepy town. Not once did I feel unsafe or even remotely like my life was in danger. I enjoyed it so much that I started researching in order to take my family there on a land vacation in the future. A also looked up violent crime and murder rates for that area (and it’s a fraction of most major cities in the US, in fact it’s more dangerous to go on vacation to Minnesota or Vermont). [emoji23]

Just wondering what people are thinking about the safety of going to Stone Island in Mazatlan? We will be there in February and was planning a day trip to the island but not sure if that is a good idea?

Thanks!

Just go to back from Mexico. Aside from Mazatlan, we didn't go with any tours and just traveled on foot and with Uber by ourselves. Can honestly say I felt safer there than in America when a domestic terrorist can hit at any time.

Or as the media calls them, mentally ill lone wolf.

We have not heard of any problems on Stone Island. It is a major spot for tourists and cruisers to spend a day. IF you read the warnings carefully they talk about violence between drug gangs. I'd stay close to the main tourist areas of the city and not go on long bus trips into the interior of those states.

Here is the official government advisory:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html

IF you read down past the list of stage 4 warnings they explain specifics which say that the cities of Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta are not included in these warnings in the tourist central areas/ports/airports etc.

We need to read more than the headlines to understand the true nature of the situation.

This morning I woke about 6am (in my Puerto Vallarta Condo) and put on my exercise outfit. I then "armed" myself with my trusty iPhone so I could listen to Pandora music :). At 6:15 (when it was still pitch black) I left my Condo (right in the old town of Puerto Vallarta) and went for my daily exercise which was a walk to the Marina (cruise port) which is about 4 miles distant. This walk took me through a quiet downtown (Centro) of PV, out past the south Hotel Zone and Hotel Zone, past a 24 hour pharmacy (staffed by a single young lady who stood in the door way and traded Hola's (no security necessary even though there were tons of drugs on the shelves near the door) and eventually walked passed Walmart and Sams to arrive at the Port just as the Island Princess was making her 180 degree turn before docking. At that point it was about 64 degrees, the sky was starting to become light...and I turned around and walked the 4 miles back to the Condo to have breakfast.

I have been doing a similar routine here in PV for the past 12 winters. I have absolutely no fear of concerns walking in town (or out) day or night. Even at 6:30 I will see single ladies out for a walk or jogging...also with no fear. Last night we were out to dinner with friends and walked about a mile back to our condo (after 10:30pm) with no fear or concerns other then whether we should buy some ice cream or crepes (made by a street vendor).

So what is my point? There are few cities in my own country (USA) where I would feel as safe as here (and DW shares in this feeling). Yes, we read the State Department Advisories (which actually exempt PV from most of their warnings) and we see the concerns of some cruisers on PV. There is nothing we can say or do to alleviate folks who have concerns. But, DW and I could choose to live anywhere in the World during the winter months (we are snowbirds)....and despite having traveled extensively to over 100 countries.....this is the place we have chosen (for a dozen years) as our winter home. And I guess I should mention that there are approximately 50,000 other Americans and Canadians that live here around the beautiful Bay of Bandaras.....and most would feel exactly the same :).

Hank

This morning I woke about 6am (in my Puerto Vallarta Condo) and put on my exercise outfit. I then "armed" myself with my trusty iPhone so I could listen to Pandora music :). At 6:15 (when it was still pitch black) I left my Condo (right in the old town of Puerto Vallarta) and went for my daily exercise which was a walk to the Marina (cruise port) which is about 4 miles distant. This walk took me through a quiet downtown (Centro) of PV, out past the south Hotel Zone and Hotel Zone, past a 24 hour pharmacy (staffed by a single young lady who stood in the door way and traded Hola's (no security necessary even though there were tons of drugs on the shelves near the door) and eventually walked passed Walmart and Sams to arrive at the Port just as the Island Princess was making her 180 degree turn before docking. At that point it was about 64 degrees, the sky was starting to become light...and I turned around and walked the 4 miles back to the Condo to have breakfast.

I have been doing a similar routine here in PV for the past 12 winters. I have absolutely no fear of concerns walking in town (or out) day or night. Even at 6:30 I will see single ladies out for a walk or jogging...also with no fear. Last night we were out to dinner with friends and walked about a mile back to our condo (after 10:30pm) with no fear or concerns other then whether we should buy some ice cream or crepes (made by a street vendor).

So what is my point? There are few cities in my own country (USA) where I would feel as safe as here (and DW shares in this feeling). Yes, we read the State Department Advisories (which actually exempt PV from most of their warnings) and we see the concerns of some cruisers on PV. There is nothing we can say or do to alleviate folks who have concerns. But, DW and I could choose to live anywhere in the World during the winter months (we are snowbirds)....and despite having traveled extensively to over 100 countries.....this is the place we have chosen (for a dozen years) as our winter home. And I guess I should mention that there are approximately 50,000 other Americans and Canadians that live here around the beautiful Bay of Bandaras.....and most would feel exactly the same :).

Hank

Frankly, I believe that the "point" of these travel advisories is not that "YOU WILL BE KILLED!!!". Far from it. I worked in several embassies over my time in the Military with the last being Moscow in the middle 80s. A Travel advisory is telling Americans to be "advised" that they are traveling to an area where the risk of danger is elevated.

As an American abroad, you, the traveler (basically) have no backup. True, there is an embassy. Good luck with that. It is telling the perspective traveler that once in a particular country where the advisory has been issued - you are (for the most part) on your own. If the traveler is fine with that - and accepts personal responsibility, then go for it and "hopefully" you'll have a good time.

Moscow in the early 80s was as dangerous a city as I have ever been in, including Da Nang in the 60s. However, I was highly trained and carried a weapon every time I left the compound. Try that in Mexico and if you get picked up by the Police - you will "most likely" never see America again.

These advisories say specifically that government workers are allowed in the cities I have cited that are NOT part of the ban. They are not telling people that all of Mexico is out of bounds nor are they telling people they are "on their own" in that country!

Not sure where you are getting your INcorrect info??

Hank

I'm so jealous. Do you stay in the romantic zone? That's my favorite part of town. I can't wait to come back and eat at my favorite places, drink at Players, CYC and the Sun Devil bar and bask in how I feel so comfortable in PV. I can't wait to winter there when I retire.

I'm so jealous. Do you stay in the romantic zone? That's my favorite part of town. I can't wait to come back and eat at my favorite places, drink at Players, CYC and the Sun Devil bar and bask in how I feel so comfortable in PV. I can't wait to winter there when I retire.

Yes, we live in the Romantic Zone (aka the southside, Zona Romantica, Old Town, or Viejo Vallarta) right on top of the Sea Monkey :). We are very familiar with CYC.

As frequent international travelers (we are out of the US about 6 months a year) we are well aware of our State Department Warnings and do commend their efforts to keep us all well informed. But fifty years of extensive travel experience has taught us that they tend to paint countries with too broad of a brush. If they were issuing travel warnings for the USA they might say something like "Chicago is a very violent city with daily shootings" instead of telling folks that most of that city is quite fine...but there are certain neighborhoods to be avoided. It is the same in Mexico where it is estimated that more than 1 Million (yes, 1 Million) Americans happily reside in numerous safe places.

The funny thing about living in PV is that we do not know of any neighborhood where we would be afraid to go during the day. After dark we would avoid some areas outside of PV....because we would likely get lost :). On the other hand, there are a few basic rules for even PV. It is wise not to walk around wearing expensive jewelry...and one should always beware of pickpockets (this is true in nearly every tourist city on earth). And why do we love it here so much? Our city has some of the best food in the world (from cheap tacos to expensive French), the weather is amazing during the winter, the people are among the friendliest anywhere, and to truly know this part of Mexico is to love it.

Hank

Hello,

Mazatlan:

It appears that the only place not under a Level 4 Advisory in Matzatlan area are the Zona Dorada and the Historical Center at the south end of the peninsula, (the lighthouse is located at the very end of it). This includes the direct route to and from the cruise ship terminal.

From the US Gov Website : https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html

• Mazatlan: U.S. government travel is permitted only in Zona Dorada, the historic town center, and direct routes to and from these locations and the airport or the cruise ship terminal.

Just to be safe, our group will be limiting our Matzatlan visit to those two areas.

The only thing Im worried is the people coming up to selling their souvenirs when your trying to relax at any beach restaurant or walking. In Mazatlan they are relentless but not as bad as Jamaica. I remember seeing the Mexican military policing the tourist areas riding in open jeeps holding machine guns. Mazatlan is my least favorite port I wouldn’t mind skipping it.