Inspectors caught Carnival crew hiding dirty conditions

TwizzlersAddict

Speaking for myself, I think it would be the right thing for corporate to come out and admit failings, say they are reviewing all their processes and procedures, they will provide whatever equipment is necessary to their crew going forward, empower onboard management to make the right choices, and make a sincere commitment to the paying guests and do the best possible job to prevent this from happening again.

I think that's smart business and something that we deserve.

I agree, the question is how they would do that. I doubt a press release but more of a fireside chat with their " community'.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree, the question is how they would do that. I doubt a press release but more of a fireside chat with their " community'.

Just have John Heald address it in a video. And then put a transcribed version on their website. It's not much to ask them to make a public commitment to health/safety/cleanliness.

Can we stop with the personal bickering?

While I can understand the desire to have a "zero" score, it does not make any difference. To the USPH/CDC, a zero is the same as an 84. The only time the inspectors will issue a "no passenger" decision is if they feel there is a "serious and direct threat to public health". Pretty much anything short of finding rotten food in the walk-ins, or spoiled food on the serving lines, or roaches crawling on food isn't going to get the ship shut down. The only one in recent memory is the Empress of the Seas which failed its initial inspection as it returned to RCI from Pulmantur, and required the entire galley areas to be torn out and redone.

Further, just like your teachers in school, they can't give a score on a multiple choice test (since there are separate categories of inspection, with a grade for each, it is a similar situation), lower than the number of correct answers, even if you still end up failing. In other words, the ship gets positive points for areas where they do meet requirements. Anything other than that takes it from objective to subjective and emotional response.

Just have John Heald address it in a video. And then put a transcribed version on their website. It's not much to ask them to make a public commitment to health/safety/cleanliness.

It deserves more than a John mention. Christine is the right person, ultimately it falls under her, and it is her watch.

Can we stop with the personal bickering?

While I can understand the desire to have a "zero" score, it does not make any difference. To the USPH/CDC, a zero is the same as an 84. The only time the inspectors will issue a "no passenger" decision is if they feel there is a "serious and direct threat to public health". Pretty much anything short of finding rotten food in the walk-ins, or spoiled food on the serving lines, or roaches crawling on food isn't going to get the ship shut down. The only one in recent memory is the Empress of the Seas which failed its initial inspection as it returned to RCI from Pulmantur, and required the entire galley areas to be torn out and redone.

Further, just like your teachers in school, they can't give a score on a multiple choice test (since there are separate categories of inspection, with a grade for each, it is a similar situation), lower than the number of correct answers, even if you still end up failing. In other words, the ship gets positive points for areas where they do meet requirements. Anything other than that takes it from objective to subjective and emotional response.

Once again, the voice of reason in a sea of Chicken Littles.

Further, just like your teachers in school, they can't give a score on a multiple choice test (since there are separate categories of inspection, with a grade for each, it is a similar situation), lower than the number of correct answers, even if you still end up failing. ...

I don't want to draw this out, but this example is poor. Teachers can and do assign a zero score to tests of any kind when a student is caught cheating.

CDC has its inspection and reporting protocols and I'm sure they followed them to the letter. I have no problem with that. I just believe (this is an opinion and not intended as a criticism) there should be an exception when there are attempts to subvert the process.

I don't want to draw this out, but this example is poor. Teachers can and do assign a zero score to tests of any kind when a student is caught cheating.

CDC has its inspection and reporting protocols and I'm sure they followed them to the letter. I have no problem with that. I just believe (this is an opinion and not intended as a criticism) there should be an exception when there are attempts to subvert the process.

Even if you discount my example, to what end is a "zero" score? The inspection is rated as "acceptable" and "unacceptable". What is the difference between a zero "unacceptable" and an 85 "unacceptable". To go back to the school example, you have two grades on your test: "A" and "F". How the teacher came to those grades, or how you scored within those grades, is basically irrelevant.

Speaking for myself, I think it would be the right thing for corporate to come out and admit failings, say they are reviewing all their processes and procedures, they will provide whatever equipment is necessary to their crew going forward, empower onboard management to make the right choices, and make a sincere commitment to the paying guests and do the best possible job to prevent this from happening again.

I think that's smart business and something that we deserve.

They did this when their PR person responded to media inquiries, in this case, The Miami Herald.

To later send out another Press Release when things were corrected... "In case you hadn't heard, or were just starting to forget about those failing health grades we got.... we're sending this Press Release out to remind you as we also tell you that we've fixed the issues..." Carnival wants to move on... fix it... go back to thinking about other cuts.