Inspectors caught Carnival crew hiding dirty conditions

TwizzlersAddict

Gross. Only reason why I have a Carnival cruise booked in April is because is the only cruise that fits my birthday schedule and from home port of L.A.

Other than that I tend to not chose Carnival as my primary choice. I used to but not anymore. Not even the Horizon appeals to me. Stuff like this just pushes me away more on top of all the cutbacks and now additional room service charges.

We were on The Breeze Dec 3-10th , Our whole group came down sick 12 people , I mentioned it here on CC the falling week along with a link ,that The Breeze had failed the inspection for that week ,, I was flamed here on CC for believing the link ,and that we all got sick ,..

Gross. Only reason why I have a Carnival cruise booked in April is because is the only cruise that fits my birthday schedule and from home port of L.A.

Other than that I tend to not chose Carnival as my primary choice. I used to but not anymore. Not even the Horizon appeals to me. Stuff like this just pushes me away more on top of all the cutbacks and now additional room service charges.

Cutbacks and room service charges are on other cruiselines as well... It's across the industry.

Cutbacks and room service charges are on other cruiselines as well... It's across the industry.

Actually just off a 22 day Holland America cruise and not once did I have to pay for room service even at 1AM. So while yes there is cutbacks and fees on other lines there's also no.

You can find the scores for all cruise ship inspections on the CDC website: https://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionSearch.aspx

Just from a very quick review of the "big" cruise lines (RCCL, NCL, Princess, etc.) I didn't see any other failures other than Carnival's 3 failures, although Freedom of the Seas only passed by one point and MSC had one that barely passed as well.

Hmm. I'll stick with NCL. No carnival for me.

Actually just off a 22 day Holland America cruise and not once did I have to pay for room service even at 1AM. So while yes there is cutbacks and fees on other lines there's also no.

Having priced Carnival vs HAL in the past, I'm pretty sure you paid for your RS. Probably a lot more than what Carnival has recently started charging.

:cool:

I agree. We have been sailing Princess in recent years. Chose this next cruise because our home port is also LA. Couldn't find a short cruise this time in January on Princess.

I couldn't agree with you more.... an 86 just seems like way too much leeway. Not happy about that

Sent from my iPhone

When you know that the inspections encompass far more than simply food safety, you would understand why the score is such. Record keeping infractions like not having a pool chlorine chart for every single day over the last year (lost, perhaps?) can result in a 3 point (or about 20% of the mark for a failing score) deduction. Does your local restaurant have to buy special equipment that is fitted with special screws holding it together, since the USPH does not consider slotted or Phillips screw heads to be sanitary?

I never make a mess so I don't care if they never clean the ships. I didn't even know salad was an option so who cares if it's covered in fruit flies. Good for Carnival for not cleaning that buffet, it led to so much waste!

Just using people's logic on other cutbacks to justify this news.

We are booked on the Vista for May 5, 2018. Does anyone know what kind of steps are taken to fix the problem when this happens? I wonder if it’s reason enough to cancel without penalty? Just curious

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As you may have seen in other related threads, the ship tries to get re-inspected ASAP - within a month or two. When that happens, invariably the inspection shows a vast improvement, because someone got their act in gear and got the crew doing their jobs (maybe by adding crew, if needed).

My guess would be that a ship after a failed inspection is likely to be cleaner/better for quite a few months than one that recently passed, and whose crew is feeling complacent...

I never make a mess so I don't care if they never clean the ships. I didn't even know salad was an option so who cares if it's covered in fruit flies. Good for Carnival for not cleaning that buffet, it led to so much waste!

Just using people's logic on other cutbacks to justify this news.

Ha! Love it! :cool:

As you may have seen in other related threads, the ship tries to get re-inspected ASAP - within a month or two. When that happens, invariably the inspection shows a vast improvement, because someone got their act in gear and got the crew doing their jobs (maybe by adding crew, if needed).

My guess would be that a ship after a failed inspection is likely to be cleaner/better for quite a few months than one that recently passed, and whose crew is feeling complacent...

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I knew about the Breeze's failure, and discussed it on a previous thread. I was not aware of the Vista's.

What disturbs me most about the Breeze, since any of those non-conformities could happen on any ship at any time, is the repeated nature of some items (poorly cleaned warewashing machines), and the obvious lack of knowledge of the staff in their duties and procedures under the VSP. This indicates a systemic lack of training and supervision onboard that is far more serious than individual items.

With the Vista, this becomes truly disconcerting. The fact that the inspectors called out an "organized effort" to hide things from the inspectors by placing it in crew passageways and cabins. This is very bad, and resembles the case of the Silver Shadow a few years ago, where a similar occurrence happened. In that case, the inspector took the unprecedented action to pour bleach on the potentially hazardous food found, to keep it from being reused.

The Vista shows a complete failure by onboard staff to comply with the VSP, and a conscious effort to get around it. This shows a complete lack of respect for passenger health and safety. While in the Breeze case, I didn't feel that "heads would roll", but that senior management onboard needed a reprimand and oversight from corporate for a year or so, the Vista shows that much of senior management onboard the ship, from Captain, Staff Captain, HD, F&B Manager, Sanitation Supervisor, and Executive Chef need to be replaced. This kind of thing could not be going on without all of the above knowing and allowing it to happen. This call out by USPH/CDC inspectors is a disgrace for Carnival.

Hiding things from CDC inspection is disgraceful. Any member of management complicit in this should be summarily fired.

Having three ships within a single fleet fail so close together would indicate a severe problem to me, not just random coincidence. As it is, modern ships failing the inspection these days is pretty rare, and to have three ships fail within one cruise line sure does send up the red flags.

Perhaps this stems from the corporation shoreside? Maybe too much pressure is placed on Carnival's senior shipboard staff to reduce cost and streamline efficiency (read more work, less staff). In any case, it certainly warrants a hard look from the shoreside senior management and a change in current procedures. Just the fact that crew felt compelled to hide certain things from the authorities does not indicate a good corporate culture, certainly not open and transparent. What else are they hiding?

Question for you (since you are the most knowledgeable person on the board about these inspections) is ever inspection a top-to-bottom 100% every time or is a spot inspection that may cover some percentage of the "list"?

Yes, every inspection covers every aspect of the ship's operation. From food safety (a major area with many sub-areas, both in operation and equipment maintenance) through pool chemistry records and equipment, medical records, potable water records and equipment, child care center, air conditioning equipment, lighting, ventilation, pest control, housekeeping procedures, down to inspection of the backflow preventers that are fitted on every shower on the ship. The inspections will typically take a full port stay of 8-10 hours for 2-3 inspectors, and are required to have a meal service during the inspection so the inspectors can observe procedures under the stress of a meal service.