What is there to do for a couple days in Ft. Lauderdale?

moki'smommy

Yes, I'm researching this on line too. We just booked a sort of last minute cruise (ok, 60 days out). We are coming from 2 different cities and meeting up in FLL. BUT....for one place, flights are sold out for the day before and VERY costly for 2 days before the cruise. So...if we come in 3 days early, we can get great rates. For the other location it isn't quite that tight, but still a savings of $500+ on that ticket. So, that gives me a chunk of money which I'll have to spend no matter what; either on air or on having fun in FLL.

SO, what is there to occupy us for 3 days. I know you guys will have some great ideas in addition to what I find on line.

I suggest an all day water taxi pass for at least one of the days. You will be amazed at how much of this town (and its mansions) is available only on the cuts and canals along the intracoastal waterway. You can also take it down to Hollywood Beach which has an amazing boardwalk, nostalgic vibe and lots of art deco. It is like a several decade throwback.

We did a Segway tour near the beach front area that took us to a nearby park and had a great time. In fact we had my DW’s parents with us and they really enjoyed it also.

We did a second one in Rome last year and it was even better.

Start by checking out the tourist bureau's official website: http://www.sunny.org.

Other websites that you might find helpful are:

You can also do research on the Florida Departures Board. What to do in Fort Lauderdale comes up frequently.

We thoroughly enjoyed the water taxi. We stayed at Embassy suites on 17th St. We took the $1 Sun Trolly down to the water taxi but ended up walking back to the hotel. You can get on and off of the Water Taxi at the different stops with an all day pass. They narrate along the way pointing out the gorgeous homes of the rich and famous...

Depends on how much you want to spend. I'd stay at a resort on the beach and just hang out. Like Margaritaville in Hollywood. Maybe go visit Sawgrass Recreation via Uber and do an airboat tour/zoo. Or I'd rent a car and stay at a hotel in the upper keys, go sport fishing in Islamorada. Or go see all the stuff in Miami.... I don't know, there is a million things to do!!!!

I drove to the Everglades National Park and Biscayne National Park. If I were to do it again, I'd start from a hotel closer to the parks (I think Hollywood???). I've always wanted to do the Keys but not sure this is a good time. Plus there are so many tolls to get there and back.

You could spend an entire day at the Everglades from Coast to Coast.

I did not find Fort Lauderdale very exciting.

Ft Lauderdale and area is a great place to visit even without a cruise attached, but pre or post cruise, I enjoy these things in the area; water taxi, beach, and las olas blvd areas. Also, a bit north of there is Lauderdale by the sea, a nice beach area, for a quieter, less active stay. Just my experiences. But love the area, and love to tack on a few days after a cruise, because it makes getting off the ship a little less depressing!:)

Ft Lauderdale and area is a great place to visit even without a cruise attached, but pre or post cruise, I enjoy these things in the area; water taxi, beach, and las olas blvd areas. Also, a bit north of there is Lauderdale by the sea, a nice beach area, for a quieter, less active stay. Just my experiences. But love the area, and love to tack on a few days after a cruise, because it makes getting off the ship a little less depressing!:)

That's why we live here! My dad was here on vacation long ago and never went back to Iowa. Lol.

There are several good suggestions here. My question would be what would you be interested in doing? And when are you coming? If it’s the end of March then the weather should be ideal for some outside activities. I would always put an Everglades airboat tour high on the list. You could pair that with a tram tour at Shark Valley, which is a couple hour tour on a paved road on the north side of Everglades Natl. Park.

If you like shopping the the Sawgrass Mills idea is a good one.

If you want to see South Beach in Miami there are hop on hop off bus tours. I have never done it but others have given it good reviews. And the water taxi in Ft. Lauderdale is also a good way to see the sights.

And there is always the beach if you want sun, ocean and relaxing.

Hope you enjoy your stay and your cruise.