Using RCCL transfers to/from cruise port when flight is a day before or after

kac0426

I am planning a Norwegian fjord cruise out of Southampton this summer. The plan is to fly into London a couple of days early to see London. We plan to stay at a hotel near Heathrow and would like to utilize the RCCL transfer to Southampton on the morning of embarkation for convenience. Since we will be flying in two days early, how do I arrange this transfer? I imagine RCCL will want my flight information, thinking I'm flying in that morning, but that won't be the case. Will the transfer give the option of leaving flight information blank?

Similarly, at the end of our cruise, we plan to do the Stonehenge excursion with RCCL and take advantage of the drop off at Heathrow. We plan to stay at the same airport hotel that night and will fly home the next day. I, again, imagine that RCCL will need my flight information for this excursion, but if I put that it's the next day, will that mess things up?

I've never done post-cruise excursions or used a cruise line transfer when not flying in the day of embarkation/disembarkation.

I've never had RC ask for flight information for post-cruise excursions. No experience with pre-cruise transfers.

Seems to me if they do ask for flight info, you could pick something appropriate

I do know it is easier to enter a flight number and time the day of and just show up at the airport the workers there only really check to see if you paid for the shuttle. Booking with royal 90% of the time they won't book it unless you give them some false information. On the excursion experience I haven't done it yet, looking at that option when in Copenhagen but I'm not for sure if the luggage rides with you or they actually take it separate and check it in for you.

Sent from my H1611 using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the replies. When I've done post-cruise excursions in the past, they've never checked my luggage in for me. So unless that's something new, I don't think that would be a problem. With all of the customs regulations, I'm really surprised they are even allowed to do that.

We did a Norwegian Fjords cruise in 2016 and LOVED it. We used the National Express bus from Heathrow to Southampton for about $24 per person. It was a nice ride, and got us close enough that we just walked to the port. If you have lots of luggage, I would suggest a taxi though.

On the return trip we used International Friends and toured Stonehenge, Salisbury Cathedral, and Windsor Castle before airport or hotel drop off. We really enjoyed this tour and felt like it was a great value. Enjoy your cruise!

We are arriving in Copenhagen a day early and staying at an airport hotel. I wanted to book a transfer to the ship the next day and was told it is only available if you fly in the same day as the cruise. Not sure why it should matter but the rep read me the rules and wouldn’t book the transfer.

I am not sure the Transfers will handle a pre cruise arrival, I could be wrong. Thought it had to be on the day of the cruise.

KDOG687 in regards to Copenhagen, we did the Copenhagen TA this past August and unless your a large group going from the Hotel, I would take a cab. We stayed at the Bethel right on the Canal. We had around 30 so one of the ladies organized a bus shuttle the morning of the cruise. Cabs are expensive going from Airport to Hotel so depending on where your staying they do have a train that leaves from the airport and drops you off at one of the stations city Central. You would need to check the closest station to your Hotel.

That is really surprising. You would think RCCL would be happy to make the extra money. I guarantee they charge more for a transfer than what it costs them to transport someone. What if I just found a flight coming in the day of the cruise and said I was on that flight? How would they know the difference?

I appreciate the suggestions of taking a taxi, but my understanding is that a taxi from London to Southampton would cost an exorbitant amount of money. I'm trying to find another, less expensive option. I've also read horror stories about trains getting delayed and I definitely don't want to miss the ship.

What if I just found a flight coming in the day of the cruise and said I was on that flight? How would they know the difference?

They won't know the difference. I often book a flight home before their recommended time and just fudge the departure time when I do my Set Sail pass. Same thing for arrival, just find a flight that arrives in time and give them that info, this will put you on their list. They won't know if you just got off a plane or out of a taxi.

They won't know the difference. I often book a flight home before their recommended time and just fudge the departure time when I do my Set Sail pass. Same thing for arrival, just find a flight that arrives in time and give them that info, this will put you on their list. They won't know if you just got off a plane or out of a taxi.

That was my thinking too. The only way I could see this getting messed up is if the flight I put down is cancelled or delayed!

We did a Norwegian Fjords cruise in 2016 and LOVED it. We used the National Express bus from Heathrow to Southampton for about $24 per person. It was a nice ride, and got us close enough that we just walked to the port. If you have lots of luggage, I would suggest a taxi though.

On the return trip we used International Friends and toured Stonehenge, Salisbury Cathedral, and Windsor Castle before airport or hotel drop off. We really enjoyed this tour and felt like it was a great value. Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you for this. Did you do the 8-day Norwegian Fjord cruise with RCCL? If so, I may have additional questions for you! :) How do you define "lots of luggage." I'm thinking a backpack and normal sized week-long suitcase for me.

• 3 months later...

Has anyone done an excursion on disembarkation day in London? Or anywhere in Europe really? I've done post-cruise excursions in Ft Lauderdale and New York and both times, my luggage was on the same bus as me and they dropped me and my luggage off at our flight terminal when the excursion was over. I assume that's how it's done all over but I don't want to book the Stonehenge excursion if my luggage is going to be sent to the airport ahead of me.

I am not sure how it works in Europe, but we recently has this problem in the US. We called Royal and they have an option called pick up and drop off where you do not need to enter the flight number to schedule a transfer from the airport. I would call to see if they have something similar .

Cancel the hotel at Heathrow which is at least 50 mins by tube from central London.

Book a hotel in central London

Catch the direct train from London Waterloo to Southampton.

You seem to be making it very tricky just to get a “free transfer. The money and time you will spend on the tube going backwards and forward to Heathrow would far better be spent enjoying yourselves in London.

JMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We are cruising this summer on a different ship and are also flying in the previous day. Our flight home is later in the day of our arrival back in port and I was told we can not get transfers from RCCL either day. I guess we'll just use Uber or a taxi.

We are cruising this summer on a different ship and are also flying in the previous day. Our flight home is later in the day of our arrival back in port and I was told we can not get transfers from RCCL either day. I guess we'll just use Uber or a taxi.

Uber is probably about to lose their licence to operate in London.

London to Southampton is 90 miles. It would be very very expensive by taxi.

The train goes direct from London Waterloo to Southampton Central.

Cancel the hotel at Heathrow which is at least 50 mins by tube from central London.

Book a hotel in central London

Catch the direct train from London Waterloo to Southampton.

You seem to be making it very tricky just to get a “free transfer. The money and time you will spend on the tube going backwards and forward to Heathrow would far better be spent enjoying yourselves in London.

JMHO.

This 100%

OP you really do not wanting to be staying in a hotel near Heathrow for two days. Its not a particularly nice area, it will be expensive and you are a long way from the centre of London.

I would recommend staying in central London for all the sights and get the train to Southampton, much easier.

If you are absolutely set on the transfer with Royal from Heathrow then I would get the tube back out again in the morning to the airport for the transfer. There is no good reason IMHO to stay near Heathrow for two nights.

I live in UK and am from London. I agree with others :

a). Don't book a hotel near Heathrow. Book one near the centre of London with tourist attractions. Look out for Premier Inn or Travelodge for a comfortable but budget stay. One near Waterloo might suit. An alternative is Holiday Inn Express which tend to be quite reasonably priced.

b). Shop around for transfers outbound transfers. Plenty of options when you google. I don't believe RC offering will be the cheapest or most convenient.

c). For return trip, I would spend more on a private trip back to London instead of a ship organised excursion. Stonehenge simply requires a stop off en route. Problem with excursion is that it will be quite rigid in terms of departure time, amount spent on tour and drop off.

If uber have not lost their license by the time you travel, then I would recommend this is the best way to get around London.

The National Express Coach www.nationalexpress.com, is a coach (bus) that goes fron LHR to Southampton Coach station (this is the station you need) then a short taxi (under £10) to the ship’s dock. Sometimes you can get a price of £5. The National Express Coach also goes from London Victoria Coach station to Southampton Coach station. Southampton is about 2 1/2 hours from London.

The cruise lines London transfer is from London Victoria Coach the same station that the National Express Coach uses, the only difference is the cruise line goes direct to the ship no taxi needed.

International Friends www.internationalfriends.co.uk, a coach only goes on embankment and disembarkment days only. They pick up from LHR, certain LHR hotels and Southampton dock and drop off at certain London hotels, LHR and certain LHR hotels. They have tours that stop at Stonehenge or Salisbury, Windsor and Stonehenge. This is a great way to see other sights along the way to LHR or your London hotel.

I really appreciate all of the replies, everyone. One other reason why I was leaning towards staying hear Heathrow was the cost. $90 per night versus about $300 per night. But it sounds like maybe there are some less expensive hotel options in London that I haven't found yet. I'll keep looking. I definitely see what you are saying about it being much more convenient to stay in central London. I've read a few horror stories about trains and coaches being delayed and I guess I thought the ship's transfer the morning of embarkation day would be more "guaranteed."

I am planning a Norwegian fjord cruise out of Southampton this summer. The plan is to fly into London a couple of days early to see London. We plan to stay at a hotel near Heathrow and would like to utilize the RCCL transfer to Southampton on the morning of embarkation for convenience. Since we will be flying in two days early, how do I arrange this transfer? I imagine RCCL will want my flight information, thinking I'm flying in that morning, but that won't be the case. Will the transfer give the option of leaving flight information blank?

Similarly, at the end of our cruise, we plan to do the Stonehenge excursion with RCCL and take advantage of the drop off at Heathrow. We plan to stay at the same airport hotel that night and will fly home the next day. I, again, imagine that RCCL will need my flight information for this excursion, but if I put that it's the next day, will that mess things up?

I've never done post-cruise excursions or used a cruise line transfer when not flying in the day of embarkation/disembarkation.

While I have not checked recently, in the past RCCL has charged about $100/person/transfer for their transfers. At that rate, I would look into a private car service which charges for the type of car not per person. For my last cruise out of Southampton, I paid a total of 248£ which covered Heathrow to Central London, Central London to Southampton and Southampton back to Heathrow. Each segment is priced individually. I use Blackberry Cars (blackberrycars.com) and use them every time I am flying into London.

You have nothing to lose by asking for a quote.

Patti