Open Bar/Unlimited Beverages

LADENNIS65

We got this package for free when booking our cruise on the Breakaway. Exactly what does that mean, what does it include, and what's the catch?!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ultimate Beverage Package:

https://www.ncl.com/terms/ultimate-beverage-package

Depending on what country you are booking from you may have to pay gratuities on the "free" package" promo.

Ultimate Beverage Package:

https://www.ncl.com/terms/ultimate-beverage-package

Depending on what country you are booking from you may have to pay gratuities on the "free" package" promo.

Booking from the US. I was mainly wanting to hear if anyone's first hand experience with it.

Booking from the US. I was mainly wanting to hear if anyone's first hand experience with it.

The promotion has been around for several years. It works exactly as it’s described. The package pay for the first $15 on any alcoholic or nonalcoholic drink. And it’s very hard to exceed $15. Most people spend their cruise trying all the drinks that they would never order at their local bar. Enjoy your cruise and enjoy the beverage package.

My suggestion is fine a bar that you like, first day of the cruise, ask the bartender if this is their regular bar, and if so, give them a nice big tip day one. You will be front of the line the whole week.

We got this package for free when booking our cruise on the Breakaway. Exactly what does that mean, what does it include, and what's the catch?!

The catch is it will cost you a couple hundred dollars per person in "service charges". Check your itemized total, look for something like "PROMO SVC CHG".

What??

Goodness, read post #3. And I'm not being snarky but EVERYONE needs to read the Terms and Conditions on promos when they book. Consumer Awareness 101.

It's still a good deal though if you have to pay gratuities if you are someone who drinks a good bit.

Enjoy.

Goodness, read post #3. And I'm not being snarky but EVERYONE needs to read the Terms and Conditions on promos when they book. Consumer Awareness 101.

It's still a good deal though if you have to pay gratuities if you are someone who drinks a good bit.

Enjoy.

Well, I just need to know in advance what I'm looking at.

basically you are responsible for a 20% "gratuity" on what would have been the purchase price of the package. I think the unlimited beverage package is normally $89 per person per day. So 20% of that is $17.80 per person per day of the cruise. So if you take the beverage package as a "free perk" you don't have to pay the $89 per person per day, but you still have to pay the gratutity ($17.80 per person per day). That fee is automatically added to your cruise fare once you select that perk option. That's about equivalent to 2-3 drinks per day so still a great deal if you drink more than that. Once you purchase the package, all drinks up to $15 in cost are free (the cost of the individual drink)- any over $15 you just pay the difference. You can have as many drinks per day as you want- no limit.

We had this perk for the first time on our last cruise and thought it was definitely worth it! We arent huge drinkers but you can try all those fun drinks and if you dont like it, get another kind. We enjoyed champagne, wine with dinner, shots of goldschlager poolside during their German party, etc. a couple times my hubby got beers and asked them not to open them (grolsch) and he brought them back to the room to enjoy there. They always allowed us to order 2 drinks at a time so only one of us had to go to the bar. Only thing we felt, there weren’t enough pushy bar servers on pool days. We actually had to go to the bar rather than them trying to sell/push the drinky drinkys lol

Well, I just need to know in advance what I'm looking at.

Ladennis, there is no catch however water, special coffees, bottles of wine, and canned soda are not included.

Fountain soda is includes, wine by the glass is included, ice tea is free also, not sure about fruit juices but I think they are free with breakfast.

And it’s very hard to exceed $15.

There was a bottle of “Louis” at the whiskey bar on the Getaway that was $250 for a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The catch is that you paid a few hundred dollars more for your room for the perk of "free" drinks. Unless you're a hardcore boozehound, you'd pay a lot less with a sailaway rate and buying your drinks as you go.

No catch.....best thing ever. As others mentioned, you do pay the service gratuity up front, but soooo worth it. We drank from morning till night every day with no huge bill at the end of the cruise like my friends have reported they had on other cruise lines. We wouldn't cruise without it!