Dogs on board?

leos037

I just read in 2 reviews that there were numerous dogs on board. on the last sailing. I saw none 2 weeks ago. I was dubious but photos were provided. I doubt that a Pomeranian is service dog. And another person was licked by a poodle in an elevator. Is "doggygate" upon us?

But seriously WTH?

dog.jpg.92e866e24832c81879d5d3f12c841e66.jpg

Service dogs today, come in all sizes, and breeds, and for many different services. It used to be just for visually impaired people, then for others, and now, there are several diffent types of service dogs. I think we all have to move forward in this day to accept change in many ways, and this is one of those changes.

I have heard the same argument about the wheelchair sign in cars, and people say, that the person who just parked there with that sign in the window, did not look like they were in need of it. Well, we just dont know why they have it, nor should we be making judgements in that regard, not knowing.

I just read in 2 reviews that there were numerous dogs on board. on the last sailing. I saw none 2 weeks ago. I was dubious but photos were provided. I doubt that a Pomeranian is service dog. And another person was licked by a poodle in an elevator. Is "doggygate" upon us?

But seriously WTH?

Seen non service dogs on RCL also, they say they are therapy dogs.

Therapy dogs can be a very important tool to help those who need them. Unfortunately, the travel industry is having to deal with some of the negative side effects. http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/delta-air-lines-emotional-support-therapy-animals-flights-new-rules-a8168726.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Therapy dogs can be a very important tool to help those who need them. Unfortunately, the travel industry is having to deal with some of the negative side effects. http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/delta-air-lines-emotional-support-therapy-animals-flights-new-rules-a8168726.html

Yes I have been on several cruises where there have been service dogs on board in various breeds and sizes.They are never a problem and quite frankly they are better than some of the rude passengers and sometimes unruly children on board. So yes, let it go to the dogs

Yes I have been on several cruises where there have been service dogs on board in various breeds and sizes.They are never a problem and quite frankly they are better than some of the rude passengers and sometimes unruly children on board. So yes, let it go to the dogs

Amen!

Properly trained service and therapy dogs are a godsend for those who need them. As such the animals are unobtrusive.

It is the 'pet' that is untrained, such as barking, growling, and/or biting, and their owners that need to be left at the first port after inappropriate actions (or never allowed on board in the first place)!

But seriously WTH?

Believe it or not its a new scam in America. You just go to doctor you know well, and tell him you dog is your comfort dog and you cannot sleep without it, and boooom you have your letter that this dog is service dog and you don't need to pay for Dog Hotel any more. Never mind they take it TO ship, they have guts to take it around ship to restaurant and pool.

Because its not even close to therapy dogs or service dogs. I know people who just have fake letter to be able to keep dog out of cage in time of flight, and I saw on person in Miami Port telling his friends how smart he is to make doctor to give him this letter,and now his dog always with him on board. Its very popular scam in Florida . I am a dog lover and I have a dog myself but I don't think I can bring it to restaurant and let him lick my plate ( I saw it as well on X cruise)

Service dogs today, come in all sizes, and breeds, and for many different services. It used to be just for visually impaired people, then for others, and now, there are several diffent types of service dogs. I think we all have to move forward in this day to accept change in many ways, and this is one of those changes.

I have heard the same argument about the wheelchair sign in cars, and people say, that the person who just parked there with that sign in the window, did not look like they were in need of it. Well, we just dont know why they have it, nor should we be making judgements in that regard, not knowing.

True, but abuses happen. There was a scandal not long ago in Washington, DC involving transit employees using reserved handicapped spaces when the person with the disability wasn't even in the car (which is required by law). The employees involved were fined for abusing the ordinance. Not saying this is happening with comfort animals, but it's certainly a possibility.

I doubt that a Pomeranian is service dog.

FYI - I post this not be flame you or anyone. Just so we maybe aware of why some may travel with a dog or certain breed of dog.

http://www.diabeticalertdogsofamerica.com

We personally know and have cruised with an individual who has diabetes and has a small Pomeranian.

Diabetic Alert Dogs are trained to alert diabetic owners in advance of low (hypoglycemia) or high (hyperglycemia) blood sugar events before they become dangerous. That way their handlers can take steps to return their blood sugar to normal such as using glucose sweets or taking insulin.

If you were to talk about people who have handicap stickers, then I can say we know many who really should be ashamed to have one. That is one area that should be reviewed! JMHO!

Because its not even close to therapy dogs or service dogs. I know people who just have fake letter to be able to keep dog out of cage in time of flight, and I saw on person in Miami Port telling his friends how smart he is to make doctor to give him this letter,and now his dog always with him on board. Its very popular scam in Florida . I am a dog lover and I have a dog myself but I don't think I can bring it to restaurant and let him lick my plate ( I saw it as well on X cruise)

I have zero problems with service/therapy dogs, but unfortunately I think you are right that in recent years it has become seriously abused. Not sure what can be done on the part of the cruise lines. It's the doctors I blame for over "prescribing" them to keep their patients happy. Fortunately the dogs themselves are generally well behaved!!

FYI - I post this not be flame you or anyone. Just so we maybe aware of why some may travel with a dog or certain breed of dog.

http://www.diabeticalertdogsofamerica.com

We personally know and have cruised with an individual who has diabetes and has a small Pomeranian.

Diabetic Alert Dogs are trained to alert diabetic owners in advance of low (hypoglycemia) or high (hyperglycemia) blood sugar events before they become dangerous. That way their handlers can take steps to return their blood sugar to normal such as using glucose sweets or taking insulin.

If you were to talk about people who have handicap stickers, then I can say we know many who really should be ashamed to have one. That is one area that should be reviewed! JMHO!

Whatever happened to personal responsibility and checking your blood glucose 3 or 4 times a day?

Whatever happened to personal responsibility and checking your blood glucose 3 or 4 times a day?

Do you have that problem or condition?

Sorry, I'm not a doctor to answer your question.

Google may help you to answer your question.

Happy Cruising!

But seriously WTH?

That's one wierd looking mutt, it looks like a cyclops!

Some people game the system and register lapdogs as therapy dogs.

A quick Google came up with 8 sites selling fake service dog documents, and 2 reports on the problems of fake service dogs. This was all on the first page.

Some people have a condition where their blood sugar can suddenly drop or climb. The dogs are very useful in those cases as we don't currently have a way to constantly monitor blood sugar accurately.

Some are also trained for epileptics. They can sense when one is coming on often sooner than the person and also are often trained to assist by activating life alert calls, retrieving the person's phone, guarding them and if needed stimulating them post seizure to help them recover faster. I have a friend who would not be able to live alone without the aid of her Seizure Alert trained dog.

I don't care if there are dogs on board as long as they're well trained and kept under control. The cruise line is well within their rights to remove dogs who are not behaving.

Dear WhiskyTangoFoxtrot

As a mother of a diabetic son and also a diabetic nephew, you know not of what you speak so please do not make blanket statements like “what happened to taking responsibility and monitoring” Please educate yourself regarding what diabetic,s go through with sudden drops and spikes in their blood sugar levels.