Excursions.

markanddawn

Having just booked on Britannia to Norway in July we have just been emailed our personaliser. There is currently no excursions showing to be booked.Does anybody know how long before the cruise are the excursions announced,and when we can book them? Thanks

Having just booked on Britannia to Norway in July we have just been emailed our personaliser. There is currently no excursions showing to be booked.Does anybody know how long before the cruise are the excursions announced,and when we can book them? Thanks

The excursions become available around 12 weeks before you sail.

We are booked on Oceana on April 5th and the excursions only became available on the 2nd January.

If you want an idea of the excursions search for P&O excursions and they give you some idea of what is available.

According to the information I had looked at I was expecting the excursions to be bookable 12 weeks out, have looked at my cruise personaliser for our Britannia cruise leaving 30th September and all our excursions are up (and we have now booked what we wanted to). Really wasn't expecting to be doing that tonight!!!

I was also wondering about our Carribean one in Dec, I know its a long way off but new to Cruising and was wondering what the costs and offerings might be

Remember that you're not tied to the cruise-lines' own excursions.

Many people like the simplicity and security they offer.

Others believe that using local tour operators (easily findable and assessable with the internetty-thingy) offers much better value, often in smaller groups. On all my past cruises, I've joined privately-arranged groups, organised using the Roll Call for the cruise on Cruise Critic.

Stuart

I was also wondering about our Carribean one in Dec, I know its a long way off but new to Cruising and was wondering what the costs and offerings might be

Our first couple of cruises we did a mix of ship's excursions and DIY. Increasingly we DIY because it is so much cheaper and you get a much better experience IMHO. Although I was apprehensive, we were persuaded by info and advice on here to book independently on the Caribbean islands and it was great. Booking was easy by phone or Internet; all the operators were helpful, they went above and beyond, no worries about getting back to the ship on time and between 30% and 50% cheaper than P&O. If you say what your ports of call are, the lovely CCers can advise you on good tour operators for most islands.

Yes, we always DIY. It's great fun doing your planning and searching the internet. An example was Rome. We used a local company for a Rome On Your Own. 19 Euros for the coach, dropped us at a good place. Some people opted for an extra bit with a guide to the Vatican, I think that was 10 Euros more. The ships Rome OYO was £65!!

We are doing a Greek Isles cruise late June on the Oceana and we have just booked our excursions which came up last week on the cruise personaliser so the 12 week rule obviously doesn't apply to all. I would just keep checking.

I have read that the excursions only go up on the CP once all of them have been organised with all the ports on the itinerary - and that some ports take longer to sort out than others.

We are waiting avidly for our cruise with 10 ports.... guess that's why some after ours are already up there.

Done some wonderful private excursions all over the world. Check out on Trip Advisor for companies and don't be afraid not to use ship tours. We are using for the first time Cruise Excursions for our cruise to the Canaries later this year.

If you are going to Ponta Delgada Amazing Tours are great for small groups.

Just remember that if you book an excursion with P&O whether prior to cruise or whilst onboard that they are only acting as "agents" and it is in their boooking conditions that your contract is with the local tour operator. There is an incident recently discussed on P&Os Facebook page about an excursion not being safe and the person taking further legal action and the response from P&O is that you would have to take legal action with the local tour operator and not P&O. Personally think it is another case of P&O trying to wash their hands of any legal responsibility and action against them as cannot see how you could legally sue a foreign tour operator in a UK Small Claims Court.

• 2 weeks later...