Doing some Math. Question on crew size and tipping.........

zdad59

It was just idle math on a cold Pennsylvania day. I can't golf so I had to do something. :D

And I happily pay the suggested rate and in fact add to that substantially directly to staff.

Know the feeling, escaped PA winters to be here in the Philippines where it's too hot and humid to do anything except sit in front of the fan and read your mental exercises. Fellow overtipper, know how a lot of cruise employees live.

Correct....I'm not trying to start a fire and certainly not trying to start a campaign against the mandatory tips. Actually, I don't believe in tipping, I believe in over tipping.

As noted in the original post, my first pass at the math was rough. I guess if anything it shows that the auto tip amount we pay really aren't a lot at the end of the day.

We overtip as well, never had a bad experience.

Karma baby.

I don't know the percentage of cruisers who don't tip or tip less than the recommended amount, but I did want to post what the breakdown of tips comes out to. It is NOT just the wait staff and stewards as some would have you believe.

This is from a gentleman from Mr. Bayley's office:

Please see the breakdown for the gratuities collected below on a per day basis.

Stateroom Attendant: $3.55 Previously $3.45

Dining Room: $6.25 Previously $6.10

Other Hotel Services: $4.70 Previously $3.95

Total Standard Staterooms: $14.50 Previously $13.50

Stateroom Attendant: $6.20 Previously $6.10

Dining Room: $6.25 Previously $6.10

Other Hotel Services: $5.05 Previously $5.05

Total for Suites: $17.50 Previously $16.50

I did want to know where the "other hotel" monies went so he replied with:

The other hotel services include the persons who wash the bed linings as well as whoever cleans balconies or restocks the mini bar. Other hotel services include any additional person other than the stateroom attendant that may attend to any stateroom need.

I did think it was interesting that the person restocking the mini bar gets part of the money as the mini bars are now empty, or at least the ones we've had on Allure were, so no one was restocking. I do know some people may ask for it to be stocked, but I don't know anyone that has had Royal Caribbean fill the mini bar.

I find it interesting their math does not add up, and their explanation of other hotel services contain spelling errors. You would think they would have a standard answer to this question.

Are you sure you got this from them?

Tips are not evenly distributed.

BTW, $70 may sound like a big amount but the crew works a 12+hour day...

$70 per day, 7 days per week, so $490 per week, for a 6 month contract is $12,740.

Hmmm, not bad when the salary is maybe $600 per week.

I find it interesting their math does not add up, and their explanation of other hotel services contain spelling errors. You would think they would have a standard answer to this question.

Are you sure you got this from them?

I noticed the spelling errors as well. I am sure it came from Mr. Bayley's office as it answered the questions I asked. I had to ask the question about the "other" hotel services a second time as he didn't answer my question the first time. I also asked him, specifically, and didn't receive an answer, if Royal Caribbean keeps some of the "other" monies to use for parties for the crew etc. I read that someplace and felt if there were parties for the employees, they should be at Royal Caribbean's expense.

I didn't pay any attention to the suite previous amounts as normally, we don't stay in suites.

$70 per day, 7 days per week, so $490 per week, for a 6 month contract is $12,740.

Hmmm, not bad when the salary is maybe $600 per week.

Are you saying that you think the worker's salary is $600/week before tips? If so, you are sadly mistaken. Tipped employees are probably making more like $25-$50 week from the cruise line, similar to how waitstaff in your hometown restaurant are probably earning $2.15/hour from the restaurant, with the vast majority of their income from tips.

DW asked our cabin stewards on our last two cruises and the response was 19 both times. We were in a non-suite section with balcony and inside cabins.

This is ONLY a comment on the MATH

Listed above is room attendant 3.55 per day and I am assuming ONLY double occupancy, 7 day cruise

3.55 x 2 x 7 x19 = $944.30 a week for room steward

I was reading tipping information on the Princess website and came across an interesting tidbit. It stated all tips collected were distributed fleet wide which I took to mean the ships crew did not get all the tips left for a particular cruise. This was explained to be caused by the constant revolving of the crew. i.e. Crew members are coming and going at every port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is ONLY a comment on the MATH

Listed above is room attendant 3.55 per day and I am assuming ONLY double occupancy, 7 day cruise

3.55 x 2 x 7 x19 = $944.30 a week for room steward

When we were on Allure a couple of weeks ago, our steward had an assistant to help with cleaning etc. So, if that is the case, no way would the steward make over $900 a week. Every cruise I have been on for years has had 2 stewards with one being the main and the second the assistant.

Additionally, I don't care how much each steward, waiter etc. makes as it's none of my business. I just wanted to know where the tips went, not how much each person on the ship was making. They don't ask me how much I make and I don't ask them.