Alternate Bermuda Destination if Hurricane?

GradUT

We are thinking of taking the Carnival Pride from Baltimore to Bermuda for a 3-day stay this summer (hurricane season). While I know hurricanes hitting Bermuda are not common, I was wondering what alternate destination there could be if a hurricane were headed that direction. In the Caribbean, there are always other islands that can be substituted (we’ve had that happen), but there’s no place near Bermuda.

Have you ever encountered this and what did the cruise line do?

not on a 3 day from Baltimore, I doubt if you could make it to the Bahamas and back in 3 days. The ship can only makes 500 miles a day. Unfortunately your options are very limited

It's 3 days in port in Bermuda on a 7 day cruise not a 3 day roundtrip race to Bermuda from Baltimore. Alternative ports in Bahamas are very likely in the scenario posed by the OP.

it's 985 miles, so 2 days down and 2 days back, yes in 7 days it's doable. I would think the sea state, I am a Captain, would be marginal at best if a hurricane was headed up the east coast. Bermuda is 600 miles off the coast, too close for a comfortable ride

it's 985 miles, so 2 days down and 2 days back, yes in 7 days it's doable. I would think the sea state, I am a Captain, would be marginal at best if a hurricane was headed up the east coast. Bermuda is 600 miles off the coast, too close for a comfortable ride

Who are you addressing, please?

Thats the current Pride itinerary now....so easily done Then again if Bermuda is in warning zone...won't be pretty for other stops....Limited options

We are thinking of taking the Carnival Pride from Baltimore to Bermuda for a 3-day stay this summer (hurricane season). While I know hurricanes hitting Bermuda are not common, I was wondering what alternate destination there could be if a hurricane were headed that direction. In the Caribbean, there are always other islands that can be substituted (we’ve had that happen), but there’s no place near Bermuda.

Wouldn't Canada/NE be an option as well ?

I believe a Pride sailing got rerouted to CA/NE during Matthew in 2016, so that's a possibility.

I think it has happened other times as well. A storm may lie on the ship's course even if it does not impact Bermuda.

I think the alternative ports would likely be Canada and New England.

I think it has happened other times as well. A storm may lie on the ship's course even if it does not impact Bermuda.

I think the alternative ports would likely be Canada and New England.

Perhaps, but we went to the Bahamas and it was late October just after the traditional fall color cruise season so it just depends.

Thanks for the info, folks. I've done both the Bahamas and Canada/NE, so I wouldn't be wild about doing either again (although I'd prefer Canada/NE). So, I'll just keep my fingers crossed that Bermuda is, indeed, outside of the hurricane zone this year.

Bermuda is my favorite island hand down!!! DH and I have done a cruise to Bermuda about 8 times, always in September and once in October. I also traveled there many times prior to the cruises and stayed at a guest house and again, no hurricanes. One cruise in 8 years we had to leave the island a little earlier due to a hurricane. You're correct; hurricanes don't hit Bermuda a whole lot. Many of the hurricanes form closer to the Caribbean, and Bermuda is in the Atlantic. It's sub-tropical, but sometimes humid. It's beautiful. I think you would be fine going in the summer (June, July?). I think once people were diverted to Canada...while Canada is lovely, if I was planning for Bermuda I would have been a little sad. Just be prepared..You know the saying..never, say never. I hoping to jump onto the Pride in October for a Bermuda cruise. Have fun if you decide to go.