AngryKing

No more 'Cocktail of the Day' on Princess?

I'm not sure if this topic has been covered yet, but I just recently went on my 4th Princess cruise and I discovered something very disturbing on this last one. NO MORE COCKTAIL OF THE DAY..... or Mocktail, or Shooter of the Day.

According to a bartender aboard the Sapphire Princess on my cruise, she said that Princess did away with the Drinks of the Day. Who remembers when Princess had the Cocktail of the Day for $3.75? Well, this is now a thing of the past. You'll pay anywhere from $4.50 to $6.50 for a small cocktail on Princess ships. Back when Princess was still offereing the Cocktail of the Day, I was buying about 15 or so drinks every cruise! This past cruise, I only bought 1 drink!

Princess also got rid of their Hurricane Promotion. Where you'd purchase the Rum Punch in a plastic hurricane glass and you'd receive a sticker to put on your ship card, and with that sticker, you'd get the Cocktail of the Day for ONLY $3.25! This was a great deal that led to future cocktail purchases.

C'mon Princess! Why did you get rid of those promotions? I can easily say I won't be partying as hard on Princess Cruises anymore.... well only if I bring my own alcohol on board.

I'd love to hear from some other recent Princess cruisers about this on other ships - if it is something that's happened throughout the line, it will be very disappointing indeed. Definitely will have to save room in the luggage for our own bottles I guess.

Gene

We were on the Star 2 weeks ago and the same was true- no drink of the day and no sticker specials. There is now a suggested drink for the day at no discount price. I was very disappointed!!

When we were on the Golden in October - the drink of the day, the mocktail of the day were also gone...... I don't drink but loved the price of the mocktails - very cheap. This has been briefly covered in September/early October because I was aware of it before my cruise.

The Daily Patters were also changed. For some reason - I assumed the 2 were tied together but not sure.

Cruising is definitely changing.

I'm curious....how did they change the daily patters?

Janine

A new format, new style, new colors....

Ours looked pretty bare (lots of white space) - my guess is that they were still getting used to the new format. I believe I read that our CD was leaving soon - maybe he just didn't put much time into it but it does have a new look and feel.

There is no longer a special drink of the day. The Patter calls out a daily drink from the regular bar menu, and there is no price break.

Also ... Princess stopped the "Bar Hopping" cards were you could go to all the different bars on the ship for a cocktail and get your card punched. When the card was filled you could redeem it for a real nice T shirt, or ball cap.

We enjoyed the new look of the Patters...seemed nicer to us. But weren't impressed by the elimination of the drink specials. Seems they were replaced by the half-yard special. If I recall, it was any half-yard cocktail for $6.00.

As I saw people roaming around with those long glasses, it reminded me of the people going back to the ship in Cozumel with bags full of the half-yard glasses. I thought it was tacky, but that's just me.

We were on the Star 2 weeks ago and the same was true- no drink of the day and no sticker specials. There is now a suggested drink for the day at no discount price. I was very disappointed!!

We where on the Star last week, I thought they had the drink and the Martini Of the day??

JC:D

There is no longer a special drink of the day. The Patter calls out a daily drink from the regular bar menu, and there is no price break.

Also ... Princess stopped the "Bar Hopping" cards were you could go to all the different bars on the ship for a cocktail and get your card punched. When the card was filled you could redeem it for a real nice T shirt, or ball cap.

Thats a bummer about the bar hopping card! My 78 yr old mother was so looking forward to that!:(

Thanks for the heads up, I will put in extra overtime at hard work to pay for the increase in drink cost. Yuck!

We just returned from the Grand and although it was my first Princess cruise, I was disappointed with no drink of the day as I had heard that it was a great promotion from friends that had cruised before.

With drinks that expensive, it seems like they should do something to offer a discount.

I didn't know about the bar hopping program but would have loved to have done that. I mean, I'm on vacation and I like to enjoy a few drinks but on Princess it just felt "boring."

Don't get me wrong, I LOVED our cruise.

And to comment on the new patters and another poster that mentioned a lot of white space, ours were jam packed full of information and activies.

So sad to hear about this! We enjoyed the drink of the day on our last (and at that point only) Princess cruise. It was nice to have the incentive to try something different each day - some of the drinks I never would have ordered off a menu, but were pretty good once I tried them.

DH and I will miss this on our upcoming Grand trip. We'll mention it to the bartenders (notice I did not say complain:D ) so they have some feedback about it!

Happy cruising to all!

Bummer about the drink of the day! We recently sailed on RCCL and they don't have it either! Ask you TA's for a coupon book that contains the "buy one drink and get one free." We use those.

All I have to say is, there will be alot of acohol packed in bubble wrap for our future cruises!

I was on the CB two months ago, and here is some info I posted regarding the cocktail of the day (and the new "signature collection" drink):

I've noticed a few changes since my last cruise aboard the CB... The Princess Patters have a slightly different look to them.

Also, there is no longer a "drink of the day"... Instead the have a "Signature Collection" drink, which is basically a highlight of one of the drinks (no discounted price tho)... and there no longer is a "shooter of the day".

In the past, on the back page of the Princess Patter, they had a section in which they would list a Drink of the Day, and a Shooter of the Day.

The drink was different each day, such as a Banana Daqueri, and the price was slightly lower for that particular drink, for that particular day.

On this new format, they list several specials going on thoughout the ship.

First they list their Signature Collection Drink (which they called a Premium Cocktail), which as far as I can tell, is NOT a discounted price. For example, they listed the Rasberry Fizz for $6.50 (On another day, they listed the Mojito for $6.50).

Under the Signature Collection drink, they than list a different "specials" going on that day... Most days it was a "1/2 Yard Special" in which you can buy a 1/2 yard of any blended drink for $6.

Under the 1/2 yard special, they list a sale of DosXX beer... buy four, get one free.

Then they listed if there was a special at a certain bar for a certain time (for example, you could get a Bloody Mary in 4 different bars for $3.25 between the hours of 9am-noon).

So they definitely have specials still... but they don't list a drink (or shooter) of the day for a discounted price.

My favorite special is all the free booze available during the cruise:

Free champagne served at least twice during a 7-day cruise at the art auctions.

Free drinks served at the Captains Welcome Aboard parties the first formal night (you can ask for a mixed cocktail -- be politely assertive - most waiters don't know this fact) -- there are two of them. No invitation required so hit them both!

Free drinks served at the Captains Circle party the second formal night (you can ask for a mixed cocktail -- be politely assertive - most waiters don't know this fact).

Free champagne served at the champagne waterfall starting around 11:00pm the second formal night.

Believe me, there's a reason why after applying the automagic tipping charges and shipboard credits, our cruise bill generally averages around 37¢. They don't call me frugalist for nothin'. :)

P.S. - Don't even get me started on the free ice cream that's available 7½ hours a day, every day.

This is a mistake for Princess. Greedy IMO. Even at the "special" prices there is a huge profit margin. Their bar staff will pay too in a reduction in tips. The 1/2 yard idea is a bit tacky too. I will "comment" as well.

Their bar staff will pay too in a reduction in tips.

Somehow, I just can't believe that people will drink less because there is no "drink of the day".....and if what I suggest is true, then bar staff will see the tips increase.

Are you going to stop cruising because your drinks are going to cost you an extra $5 per day? $35 for a week?

Would you rather be charged a "fuel surcharge" instead?

It really does amaze me what people get so worked up about.....

We were on the Dawn in Oct they had "drink of the day" still ...unless it is a recent change they also had Martini and shooter of the day as well

I was on the CB in Sept and on the Sapphire in Nov... and there was no "drink of the day" on either...

However, the "Bar Hop" was alive and well!!!

Just returned from Sapphire last week.....

There was no drink or shooter of the day, just a highlight from the normal menu, as others have mentioned.

They did have the Bar Hop cards. We completed them, and are now the proud owners of 2 T-shirts that said "I completed the Princess Bar Hop". Only Medium T-shirts were available, so they may be clearing out stock.

I am glad they are getting rid of the Bar Hopper cards!

Do you know how dangerous it is to hop on a bar on a moving ship? You could fall and really hurt yourself -- especially if you have been drinking! :D

I don't dare telll Karen about this developement. On several cruises, she has been referred to by the bar staff as the "drink of the day lady."

Jim

Somehow, I just can't believe that people will drink less because there is no "drink of the day".....and if what I suggest is true, then bar staff will see the tips increase.

Are you going to stop cruising because your drinks are going to cost you an extra $5 per day? $35 for a week?

Would you rather be charged a "fuel surcharge" instead?

It really does amaze me what people get so worked up about.....

1st, I am not worked up. Yes, I would rather be charged a fuel surcharge. If for no other reason it is paid prior to my sailing. Actually a fuel surcharge makes more sense. If fuel is the reason thing like this are happening than they should have a surcharge. Also, it is a mental thing for me. I dont want to step up and buy 2 drinks and sign for a $15-$20 tab. We will probably drink little less. Some people do cruise with a budget. I am just saying it is a bit greedy on their part IMO.

Maybe everyone should write or e-mail princess about this. It's been known to change their minds.

I know i'm always saying how I like "Princess drink of the day" when i'm on other cruises.

I was looking forward to it on our next 19 day cruise on the Coral.

Maybe with some gentle persuasson (sp) they might change back to the drink of the day!!!:)

I am sad to hear this. My DH and I are not drinkers but we do like the Chocolate monkey and the Pina Colada drinks on a cruise. We bought the hurricane glass on our honeymoon and it sits proudly in our room to this day. We even use it to save money for our future cruises....

What a sad thing to hear!!!! It was always something we would look and see when we got the patter--what the cocktail of the day was, even if we didn't get one. And the bar hopping card, etc, were just fun...

I hope Princess will come to their senses and reinstate this...too many negative changes and people will look elsewhere for their vacation..because it won't be princess like anymore anyway. :(

Two weeks ago on the Dawn we had the option of purchasing each glass of a set of 4 for an additional $5.00 only when purchasing the drink of the day. Martini or Shot glass was available.

They did have a "barhopper promo" running also.

Just returned from Sapphire last week.....

There was no drink or shooter of the day, just a highlight from the normal menu, as others have mentioned.

They did have the Bar Hop cards. We completed them, and are now the proud owners of 2 T-shirts that said "I completed the Princess Bar Hop". Only Medium T-shirts were available, so they may be clearing out stock.

You are lucky. I was on the Sapphire in late Sept (the repo cruise from Vancouver down to Los Angeles) and when I completed the bar hop I got a t-shirt that had the Miller Lite logo on it. It had nothing to do with Princess or the bar hop. I think it was leftover from some sort of promotion. I was so disappointed. I thought I'd get something with a Princess logo, even if it was only a cheap key chain.

I am leaving on the Sun Jan. 07, 06 and my wife just love those drinks.

Personnaly I buy a bottle of rhum on the boad (10.00 apr) and do myself some rhum and coke! much cheaper!

They shoul have the real all inclusive cruise.

Like when you go to an all inclusive hotel!

Anyway it is book but I will still send them a message to Princess to express my desapointment about it.

If no one do so, they wont know our opinion.

Best

Francois

I probably won't miss them... Most seemed to be some rum thing which did not excite me.. I still think Princess has the best price for drink size we have experienced. It is nice having the choice of three sizes. The HAL drinks were a joke for what we paid. And X was not much better.

But the bar is nice to have .... but not high on the "gotta be the best to cruise this line" list... :)

I just got off the Sun on Dec 8th, a wonderful cruise! :cool: I have a Patter right in front of me now. It has more color but seems the same basic format of my other Princess cruises. On the last night they still give you a Log of the Cruise which gives you all sorts of statistics, I enjoy that. I was also disappointed at no drink of the day. All I see on my patters is Signature Collection at mostly $6.50 and Martini of the Day at mostly $5.25. I was never interested in the Signature drinks so just ordered pina coladas or BBC's when I was out by the pool. They no longer had a small size drink, only medium and large, I had the mediums, can't remember the prices but they were more than previous cruises...didn't stop me from having they though, prices are up all over! Also on a few occasions I had a martini but the one I wanted wasn't the special of the day so I just got what I wanted. For me the lack of a small size was more upsetting than not having the drink of the day. It didn't spoil my cruise and I still drank what and when I wanted just like the other cruises, (I am not a big drinker). I would much rather the drink prices go up than to have a fuel charge added, (that would hit my pocketbook a whole lot harder). :eek: I have always found the free drinks to be rather watered down, would rather pay for one I enjoyed and if I couldn't afford it would drink coffee or iced tea! Seeking out everything that is free is rather tackey to me!

On Celebrity in Apr. they still had the drink of the day but no prices listed. They also had 2 for 1 drinks in different areas of the ship. At that time they were more than Princess but I was then comparing the price to Princess drink of the day. As I recall I paid about the same for drinks I had on both cruises. The free drinks on both were both watered down. The martini I like on X was over $10, on Princess was a little over $5 and a little better on X but the BBC was better on Princess.

When I go on a cruise I notice the changes but just accept them as I love to cruise and will do so as long as I am able! The prices haven't gone up as much as our gas prices and I still have to drive every day....no work, no pay, no cruise!!!!

Carol

Bummer about the drink of the day! We recently sailed on RCCL and they don't have it either! Ask you TA's for a coupon book that contains the "buy one drink and get one free." We use those.

All I have to say is, there will be alot of acohol packed in bubble wrap for our future cruises!

I don't know how recently you cruised on Royal Caribbean but last October the Cruise Compasses on the Jewel of the Seas touted 'drinks of the day' every day of our 10 night cruise.

On my cruise in mid-December, they still had the Princess Bar Hop cards and they were still giving away the "I Completed the Princess Bar Hop" t-shirt. Looks like they may phasing out that promotion too.

I definitely think it's a great idea to send Princess a friendly email expressing thoughts and feelings regarding this issue. It couldn't hurt.:D

On my cruise in mid-December, they still had the Princess Bar Hop cards and they were still giving away the "I Completed the Princess Bar Hop" t-shirt. Looks like they may phasing out that promotion too.

I definitely think it's a great idea to send Princess a friendly email expressing thoughts and feelings regarding this issue. It couldn't hurt.:D

I`m all for sending an email, this is a real dissapointment.:( Can someone give me an email address to send to?

They dont have the @mail! only a fax 661-284-4747.

Why I have that is that today I called princess in order to get my liter of rum in my room at arrival; as I am use to.

The gentlement that aswered me advised me that you can not anymore have a liter or you favorite alcool to your room.

Only small 375ml with soft drinks.

Very desapointing. I am thinking to bring my own rum aboard.

Best

I knew it would just be a matter of time... :(

No drink of the day, no booze for the cabin, guess the Carnival ingestion of Princess is almost complete. :rolleyes:

I was on the Coral princess from 12/14-12/24 and they did not have the drink of the day but did have the signature drink for $6.50 as some others have said. They did have 5 beers for the price of 4 also. I was also unhappy to hear that there would no longer be a drink of the day because it was a good way to pay less and get to try something different. Someone else posted that people would probably not drink less due to this but I will tell you that I did and will continue to drink less but mainly due to the fact that the drinks I had were lacking alcohol. I think the only thing to due is stick with wine or beer. I was also told I could not get a virgin chocolate banana drink, which was probably not the truth. I think Princess has made a mistake with doing away with the drink of the day (alcoholic and non-alcoholic).

Heck I just like to try the drink of the day to experience something new and different-that's just me though-oh well .......