Oceania Cruises Rolls Out New Lunch Experience to Fleet

LauraS

On our November 2017 cruise on Marina we found that for the first time in our experience, the GDR was often closed for lunch. I posted to our roll call about this and was called in for a "talk".

As it turned out, I accepted the argument that in certain ports they know about how many people will be off the ship at lunch time (which of course does not take private tours or people just walking around into account). When we overnighted in Haifa only 80 people were on board. It made sense not to open the GDR for lunch.

While I was told this has been going on for a while, it was the first time WE had encountered it. And of course it is very possible we never noticed the lunchtime closings because we were not on board ourselves.

But now it seems like this is more and more common ... When we are on board at lunch time we are more likely to try the GDR first than another venue. Sure, if we get back from a tour after the GDR would be closed, we'll go to Terrace or Waves or even use room service.

Personally my feeling is that while it is a valid approach to close the GDR on days when few are on board -- such as can happen with an overnight port stay -- it looks like this is becoming the norm.

And if that's the case, no, we don't like it. It's understandable if not enough people are on board at lunch time to keep a large restaurant open. There are other options. But I'm wondering if O isn't resorting to this option more frequently than it needs to.

Just wondering.

It's not a breaking point for us but it's a factor. We'll see what happens on our port intensive cruise in May on Riviera. I'm guessing based on what I've been reading that the GDR will often be closed.

Mura

We love the GDR at lunch time and were disappointed by the very much reduced number of times it was open on our last Riviera cruise.

One of the speciality restaurants could easily be used if Oceania don't want to open the GDR for a reduced number of lunch time diners. We did suggest this on the comments form.

Whilst Oceania is still our cruise line of choice I wonder if the next "improvement" will be a step too far.

On our November 2017 cruise on Marina we found that for the first time in our experience, the GDR was often closed for lunch. I posted to our roll call about this and was called in for a "talk".

As it turned out, I accepted the argument that in certain ports they know about how many people will be off the ship at lunch time (which of course does not take private tours or people just walking around into account). When we overnighted in Haifa only 80 people were on board. It made sense not to open the GDR for lunch.

While I was told this has been going on for a while, it was the first time WE had encountered it. And of course it is very possible we never noticed the lunchtime closings because we were not on board ourselves.

But now it seems like this is more and more common ... When we are on board at lunch time we are more likely to try the GDR first than another venue. Sure, if we get back from a tour after the GDR would be closed, we'll go to Terrace or Waves or even use room service.

Personally my feeling is that while it is a valid approach to close the GDR on days when few are on board -- such as can happen with an overnight port stay -- it looks like this is becoming the norm.

And if that's the case, no, we don't like it. It's understandable if not enough people are on board at lunch time to keep a large restaurant open. There are other options. But I'm wondering if O isn't resorting to this option more frequently than it needs to.

Just wondering.

It's not a breaking point for us but it's a factor. We'll see what happens on our port intensive cruise in May on Riviera. I'm guessing based on what I've been reading that the GDR will often be closed.

Mura

So if I understand correctly while you were on the ship you made a post and someone in management saw it and knew who you were and called you in to discuss what you had posted?

Was it like a reprimand for doing it or just to justify what they were doing?

We love the GDR at lunch time and were disappointed by the very much reduced number of times it was open on our last Riviera cruise.

One of the speciality restaurants could easily be used if Oceania don't want to open the GDR for a reduced number of lunch time diners. We did suggest this on the comments form.

Whilst Oceania is still our cruise line of choice I wonder if the next "improvement" will be a step too far.

The kitchens fro MDR and specialties are different from each other and several decks apart.

Not sure about the logistics of them being interchangeable

The kitchens fro MDR and specialties are different from each other and several decks apart.

Not sure about the logistics of them being interchangeable

Sorry, you've lost me here:confused:

If Oceania used one of the specialities at lunchtime when they knew there wouldn't be many guests then they could use the attached kitchen, not the one connected to the GDR

So if I understand correctly while you were on the ship you made a post and someone in management saw it and knew who you were and called you in to discuss what you had posted? Was it like a reprimand for doing it or just to justify what they were doing?

Not at all a reprimand. More for explanation and information. It was a pleasant meeting with the restaurant manager and concierge. My post to begin with was asking if others had encountered the same closures we were seeing. Since that cruise I've seen MORE comments about this. Prior to my comment on CC I'd never seen any mentioning of closing the GDR, so we were surprised when it happened several times on our cruise.

The main problem we had with the GDR being closed was that frequently by the time we got to Terrace for lunch lots of ship's tours people had returned and the restaurant was overwhelmed with too many people in there at once. On at least one occasion I literally could not make my way down to the end of the main course section because people lined up for food at the salads and main course sections totally blocked the way. When that happens, too many people are trying to eat at once. And, of course, it was more difficult to find a table.

We fairly often have had a problem finding a table in Terrace on the "R" ships but never had on Marina.

Rather than opening one of the specialty venues for lunch on these days, what about opening the GDR a little later than the usual opening times? When many of the ship's tours will have returned?

Or we can just accept the new situation!

Mura

Sorry, you've lost me here:confused:

If Oceania used one of the specialities at lunchtime when they knew there wouldn't be many guests then they could use the attached kitchen, not the one connected to the GDR

While it could be done perhaps what Paul is saying is that each specialty restaurant is set up for cooking specific dishes and not generalized like the GDR or buffet kitchens.

Not at all a reprimand. More for explanation and information. It was a pleasant meeting with the restaurant manager and concierge. My post to begin with was asking if others had encountered the same closures we were seeing. Since that cruise I've seen MORE comments about this. Prior to my comment on CC I'd never seen any mentioning of closing the GDR, so we were surprised when it happened several times on our cruise.

The main problem we had with the GDR being closed was that frequently by the time we got to Terrace for lunch lots of ship's tours people had returned and the restaurant was overwhelmed with too many people in there at once. On at least one occasion I literally could not make my way down to the end of the main course section because people lined up for food at the salads and main course sections totally blocked the way. When that happens, too many people are trying to eat at once. And, of course, it was more difficult to find a table.

We fairly often have had a problem finding a table in Terrace on the "R" ships but never had on Marina.

Rather than opening one of the specialty venues for lunch on these days, what about opening the GDR a little later than the usual opening times? When many of the ship's tours will have returned?

Mura

Thanks for the answer, at least we know they're reading CC.

I've noticed the GDR being closed occasionally on our recent cruises, but as our last one was a TA I'm pretty sure it was open most days. Being open is my preference, even in port.

Don't really understand why it's so much work to keep the GDR open for lunch, whether port day or not. They fill the tables by section, so during port days there would be people in the front section near the entrance only. This was our experience on an R ship last summer on a 12-day cruise with 10 port days, and we hope that this isn't going to be an adopted measure.

Thinking about the cruise more, I think there might have been a couple of days that the Currents advised that the GDR would be closed for lunch the next port day, but fortunately they were for ports that we were not going to return to the ship before 4 p.m. anyway.

Maybe the on-board menus are different than the sample menu that ShopperfiendTO helpfully provided in post #4 but it certainly doesn't look boring to me.

Starting lunch with tiger shrimp, salmon tartare, poached leek salad, egg mimosa or warm duck, chicken liver patty is not my usual lunch time fare.

and then

Salad Nicoise with a choice of grilled tuna, halibut, salmon

croque-monsieur

lemon sole fillet

Free-range chicken fricassee

gilled five-peppercorn beef sirloin steak

breaded veal scallopini piccate

or seafood stir fry of fish, seafood, coconut-mango sauce or meat tortellini with butternut squash, italian sausage, cheese sauce

How is a zucchini-wrapped chicken breast with tomato-olive stuffing, kalamata jus uninspired?

Maybe I just have to get out more.

Don't really understand why it's so much work to keep the GDR open for lunch, whether port day or not. They fill the tables by section, so during port days there would be people in the front section near the entrance only. This was our experience on an R ship last summer on a 12-day cruise with 10 port days, and we hope that this isn't going to be an adopted measure.

Thinking about the cruise more, I think there might have been a couple of days that the Currents advised that the GDR would be closed for lunch the next port day, but fortunately they were for ports that we were not going to return to the ship before 4 p.m. anyway.

I agree that this should be manageable, and provided. I saw a little while back the same complaint on the Regent board. I haven't followed it and don't know if there have been any further confirmations or changes.

I have gone for lunch to the GDR on a sea day once and it was pretty empty. It was a beautiful day and everyone was out on the pool deck. I guess they did not want to make the effort to change clothes. Waves was packed with a long line up and people trying to eat sitting on the pool deck loungers. Terrace Café was full as well. I'm not a big fan of Waves, I know there certainly are and I respect their choices, though on our last cruise I did have a Ruben that had improved 200%. In fact others who saw the sandwich commented and ordered one themselves (so there is hope).

Firstly sometimes I feel like a slower lunch and relaxed conversation and the GDR is perfect. Plus they have some great but not well known "ice cups" (Sundaes with maybe meringue, or fruit or ...).

I can understand operationally wanting to close the restaurant not just for the floor service staff but the galley. That said, I don't think either require a lot of staff and particularly in the galley they could be performing prep perhaps.

It's only for a couple of hours anyway and I think closing it to save that labour cost is counter to what is expected from and upper premium cruise line.

Maybe if it were better patronized when it is open they would notice. I wonder if the Hotel Manager makes this call based on each cruise.

Yesterday, we sailed into Saigon arriving just prior to noon. They did open the GDR for lunch yesterday from 12:00-13:30. For those of us whose cruise hobbies include sightseeing, all of the ship tours and well as most private tours departed by 12:30, making lunch in the GDR impossible for us. For the others, the GDR was open. Today, we were in port all day and the GDR was closed for lunch.

Last night several large contingencies of us went into Saigon for dinner. We had an exciting pedicab ride to and from dinner. Dinner was at a wonderful Vietnamese Restaurant.

So the GDR does open on an irregular basis on port days.

I really hope that this is the Jacques Bistro options plus Taste the World plus standard menu......

My favourite restaurant on Marina/Riviera is Jaques, but found the Jacques bistro concept flawed on a recent Sirena voyage (possibly the worst interpretation of a croque monsieur I've ever seen!), offering minimal options other than the fixed menu.

Love Taste the World, particularly the Indian and Lebanese selections.

Just wanted to hop on and say that the wording of Oceania's press release (combined with the existing situation on Sirena) initially confused us about the new menu, but we've since clarified with the cruise line and updated the original news item. The new menus rolling out will be The Bistro (French, Pepin) plus Taste of the World -- but NOT any other regular menu in the Grand Dining Room at lunch.

I really hope that this is the Jacques Bistro options plus Taste the World plus standard menu......

My favourite restaurant on Marina/Riviera is Jaques' date=' but found the Jacques bistro concept flawed on a recent Sirena voyage (possibly the worst interpretation of a croque monsieur I've ever seen!), offering minimal options other than the fixed menu.

.[/quote']

My feelings exactly. I couldn't believe that Jacques really thought that this is what croquet monsieur should really look and taste like.

We only went there once for lunch and went to Waves or Terrace the rest of the time.

We had an exciting pedicab ride to and from dinner. Dinner was at a wonderful Vietnamese Restaurant.

You think that was an exciting cultural immersion...you should have tried the XO tours "foodie tour" we went on almost to the day last year. It went through six districts of Saigon on the back of motorbikes driven by women wearing ao dai's. For some reason my husband kept giving me looks of "what in the hell did you get me into" from the back of his bike.:eek: Food at the four or five local restaurants was just ok but the experience of zipping through Saigon at night on the motorbikes was fun (once you got used to it).

Just wanted to hop on and say that the wording of Oceania's press release (combined with the existing situation on Sirena) initially confused us about the new menu, but we've since clarified with the cruise line and updated the original news item. The new menus rolling out will be The Bistro (French, Pepin) plus Taste of the World -- but NOT any other regular menu in the Grand Dining Room at lunch.

Well that's a little disappointing, as I sometimes like the regular menu. My wife frequently orders the Taste of The World, but it's not always to my liking, so I get something from the regular menu. I'm sure I won't go hungry though.

Mura

We've only sailed once on Oceania, Insignia to Cuba this past December, but it was our experience that the Terrace and Waves was ALWAYS crowded: in the morning before we left on a tour, at lunchtime ALWAYS, and the one time we went to the Terrace to have a light dinner before we left for our evening tour in Havana. It was nearly impossible to walk between the two serving sides - especially carrying a plate of food. This was not the elegance I was expecting from Oceania.

Now, it may be that because this cruise went only to Cuba (and with all the uncertainty what you can and can't do and with whom) passengers may have been reluctant to try eating ashore, thus causing a crowding situation on the ship. I don't know for sure - its just speculation on my part.

DH and I have discussed what we liked and disliked about Oceania, aside from the destination. The crowding in the Terrace was definitely a negative.

Thanks for the clarification Erica.

Oh well it's 👎👎👎 from me!

• 3 months later...