A Video: What I Hated and What I Loved About MSC Seaside

Spaniel Lover

I take it you are sailing with children? If so, for $1k I’d seriously consider symphony over seaside. Symphony offers infinitely more things for active children (water slide that you don’t get stuck, ice skating, flow rider, Etc...). And for children there are a plethora of included food options in-cafe promenade, sorrentos, wipe out cafe, dog house, etc...

I like the MSc product and think it’s a good value. Typically I can book MSc for about 50% less than voyager, freedom, or oasis class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stand corrected. If you compare balcony to balcony, Symphony is nearly $3K more than Seaside. I was saying I can get Yacht Club Deluxe Suite for $1K more than a balcony on Symphony. The latter looks cool but like I said, probably will be about another $1K in up charges so really $2K more than if we went with that vs Seaside. We can use that money to go Glacier National Park or another fun vacation later this Summer.

Jim, as usual, I loved your review. I was on the Divina, and loved the entertainment, both the shows and lounge bands. The buffet for breakfast and lunch were satisfactory, with plenty of choices. I was very disappointed to see that bands are no longer on board, opera and classical replaced what was played before on the Divina. I was in the YC on the Divina, and am booked in the YC for next December on the Seaside.After seeing your video, I'm really having 2nd thoughts. The shows that you showed were not to my liking at all. All this hubub about it being for Americans is a lot of crap from what I can see. I had no problem with the Divina being European, but they seem to have gone backward instead of forward.

I've been trying to brain storm some life hacks that would alleviate the splashing water issue (maybe packing something for the trip). Any thoughts on this?

Ditto. I was thinking about trying to affix an approximately 5' x 7' piece of plastic with a couple of clips (maybe like the ones used to secure towels to the backs of loungers). Don't think it would be a problem with the existing splash guard, just don't know if it could be attached at the other end. Anyone know if it could be? Thanks.

Doesn’t Fantastica give you 12 beverage coupons AND free mealtime soda, beer, wine and mineral water? An apples to apples comparison with RCI needs to take that into account, in my opinion.

Really?! I thought mealtime drinks and mineral water were not included with Fantastica, but rather with a booking promotion.

If they are, my week just got better! [emoji485]

Anyway, carry on with the debate.

I stand corrected. If you compare balcony to balcony, Symphony is nearly $3K more than Seaside. I was saying I can get Yacht Club Deluxe Suite for $1K more than a balcony on Symphony. The latter looks cool but like I said, probably will be about another $1K in up charges so really $2K more than if we went with that vs Seaside. We can use that money to go Glacier National Park or another fun vacation later this Summer.

Sounds like you have a good plan. We are like you in that we completely enjoy all the activities on the away ships. Just know that MSc experience is an entirely different vacation. My dh is a lot like a kid and I know that MSc is not for him, but as long as you are aware of the differences between MSc and an active ship you’ll have a splendid time.

PS- Glacier national park is awesome!! We camped there several years ago. Did some insane hikes! I’m all for saving cash, especially when it’s diverted directly into another vacation plan :)

Thanks! Guess it depends what you mean by active. Seaside looks like it has just as much for kids as NCL Escape did and they are begging to go on that one again.

I can relate- DH is bugging me for a trip on escape for the beer bar lol.

I can answer this based on my experience (did I mention dh is a huge kid?). We haven’t done escape, but we have sailed epic, breakaway, and getaway. I have not sailed seaside, but have sailed divina and not much seems significantly different in terms of activities with seaside, but please double check reviews.

1) water slides. I admit it, we are both hooked. The zero gravity drop slides on away are a huge rush- tons of fun even for adrenaline junkies. Nearly worth the price of admission alone. The slide on divina was so slow you had to self propel. Beyond lame.

2) ropes course with walk the plank. I’ll let picture speak here.

3) zip line- totally lame on the aways, so seaside wins here.

4) misc activities- pool table- cost on ncl was insignificant. Expensive on seaside. We also play air hockey and have been bowling (once.. hanging head in shame). No air hockey and $65 an hour bowling on seaside. The F1 simulator is not kid friendly. I watched grown adults crash and burn that entire game.

5) As adults, there is soooo much more to do on away ships. Howl at the moon is a great late night option and we spent lots of time in both fat cats and Grammy experience in the evenings. MSc is super tame in the evenings. It’s a great chill ship, and we did yc for a girls trip which was a great choice, but I can’t recommend MSc for the super active.

I vary between ncl and rcl when sailing with dh. In truth, he’d say rcl is an even more active ship than ncl (which is why i initially suggested you reconsider symphony). The Flowriders are great fun (not for me, I just face plant). I did go rollerskating and did I fly on anthem- both considerably active adrenaline experiences. Of course, oasis class has the ice skating too (not for me, I face plant there too).

MSc is largely how cruising used to be 20 years ago. When I Think of MSc, i think opera- refined sophistication and totally relaxing. When I think of ncl or rcl I think rock and roll- dancing, let your hair fly in the wind, fun party atmosphere. It’s not that you can’t have fun on MSc, it’s just that ncl and rcl are better at it.

I hope that helps. Again, these are just my opinions and should be reinforced by reading lots of reviews. I’d recommend not just reading here on the forums or on “fAn” pages because people are discouraged from posting negative reviews.

In the end, we are some of the very fortunate who get to make these decisions. Your children are lucky to have parents exposing them to travel. You can’t go wrong with either.

Thanks. The District Brewhouse was one of the highlights of the Escape for me. If you get a large balcony cabin (or any cabin) on deck 9, it's short walk down the stairs to grab a beer for the balcony. Its funny but that or one of the huge balcony cabins (minisuites) on 8 would be my preference (unless we tried the Haven for a reasonable rate) because of the proximity to the Brewhouse. The other was the aqua racer tube slide. Not sure of any other line that has a tube slide than Disney? Kids went down it about 100 times and fun for adults too as they were allowing us to race two at a time often. Sometimes they wouldn't let us though. Weird.

Anyway, if you have decent pools, slides and an arcade, my kids are set. Ice skating and bumper cars and all that are definitely cool. But they are typically ready to read a book or play some Minecraft on the ipad after the first three aforementioned activities. I like that the Seaside looks like it has some cooking classes and other unique activities for kids too. My daughter loves to cook and bake. And my son could have someone show him how to make something other than cereal for himself. lol. Also, if they have bingo, my 10 year old will be in heaven. She won close to $500 on our first Escape cruise and begs to play several times each cruise. Ha.

Laid back suits us more generally for overall atmosphere. We went up to the top deck for the White Hot Party or whatever you call it on NCL and it was so damn loud and obnoxious that we had to leave after 5 minutes. My wife was in tears laughing asking the kids if they saw the disgusted look on my face. lol.

I think what we will likely do is go on Seaside this next spring break and either the Harmony or Symphony the following break. And you are right, we are very fortunate to have these choices.

I can relate- DH is bugging me for a trip on escape for the beer bar lol.

I can answer this based on my experience (did I mention dh is a huge kid?). We haven’t done escape, but we have sailed epic, breakaway, and getaway. I have not sailed seaside, but have sailed divina and not much seems significantly different in terms of activities with seaside, but please double check reviews.

1) water slides. I admit it, we are both hooked. The zero gravity drop slides on away are a huge rush- tons of fun even for adrenaline junkies. Nearly worth the price of admission alone. The slide on divina was so slow you had to self propel. Beyond lame.

BermudaBound, I just read through this post and noticed you have not sailed Seaside yet!?! From all of your negativity concerning this ship I had assumed it came from first hand knowledge. Why do you feel it necessary to criticize so strongly? Just curious?

I mentioned this on another post. But I'd rather have a dozen (or two dozen) really well done food choices than 80 "OK" ones with just a few great ones sprinkled in I have to hunt and peck for. I have no idea what Seaside is like. Looking forward to trying it. BUT, I am just saying, more is not always more. The great (lol) Gordon Ramsey always asks these wayward restaurant owners why the BLEEP do you have 100 choices on your menu? Focus on doing a handful of dishes GREAT. If you want a lot of food options and are OK with it being palatable enough fine. But the reviews I read about the Seaside are the burgers are great, the pizza is great, and so on. Then its, but the options are limited at the buffet and you have to sit down to eat a truly great dinner. Well, then, it's not for you. Head over to Carnival or another line that gives you that.

To Jim's point, it's not for HIM. And perhaps he's advising the majority of his viewership not to sail MSC. But to say its not for Americans is not accurate. I'm as American and Midwest as they come but I LOVE a good 2 hour dinner relaxing and socializing (with my wife and kids). And my kids have been trained to put up with it or they can stay home vs going on vacation. : )

BermudaBound, I just read through this post and noticed you have not sailed Seaside yet!?! From all of your negativity concerning this ship I had assumed it came from first hand knowledge. Why do you feel it necessary to criticize so strongly? Just curious?

Hello Jaco5NC,

Your questions is very interesting to me. The short answer is, what about my input do you find negative (as opposed to constructive criticism)?

I do appreciate the civility of how you have asked this question though. So many people are name calling lately. Because you may genuinely be interested in a more detailed response, read on... If not, I totally understand :)

My perspective is from someone who has sailed on MSC twice (both fantastica and 'Yacht Club). Many of the complaints about Seaside have been mirrored in the reviews since Orchestra first came to Florida, and certainly most recently with Divina. Drawing parallel conclusions seems reasonable especially since I've experienced them myself with the MSC product. In other words, nothing (except the sewage smell and inadequate dinner buffet) are new criticisms of Seaside and certainly not unique to my perspective. One only needs to read cc reviews, facebook, etc.. to realize that my criticisms are actually quite mild compared to many.

For the record (and I've said this over and over); I actually like the MSC product and will most likely sail with the company again because it is an exceptional value. I acknowledge that the MSC experience comes with all the cost cutting measures one would expect on a budget line. Does referring to MSC as a budget line make me negative? Does sharing my personal experience with MSC that identifies where I have identified cost cutting measures make me negative? I would certainly hope not. Expecting champagne on a beer budget is far from reasonable. Isn't it better for everyone (including MSC) if people sail with reasonable expectations? Perhaps I can change my wording to 'value line' cruise rather than 'budget line' to get less emotional reactions from posters.

I considered sailing Seaside next month on Seaside but have pretty much ruled that out due to the sewage smell. If acknowledging that there is a unique sewage smell problem on Seaside makes me negative, I'll wear that badge proudly. To dismiss this issue is, quite frankly, the epitome of digging your head in the sand. To claim there is no problem is ludicrous given the evidence is overwhelming.

I continue to gather data on Seaside because my girlfriends are pushing for another MSC trip in Yacht Club for our annual girls trip this June. They also acknowledge that there were many shortcomings with the MSC product (and YC), but we all feel YC is a great value. When we travel as a girls group (think spa days) we have different needs and desires than when I travel with DH, or choose to use a cruise as a transportation vessel. For the girls and I, MSC YC is a very good match (especially considering it's more than 50% of the cost of the nearest competitor).

However; the lack of a proper dining room dinner buffet IS something the girls and I are concerned about. We simply do not enjoy 2 hour meals each and every night and sometimes prefer buffet. That doesn 't make us primitive or uncultured. Sometimes we want to make a nice quick salad and then move onto other activities. Does informing future cruisers of the fact that MSC had deviated from the norm of nearly all mainstream line in their dinner buffet make me negative or is this information worthy of sharing? Negative or constructive?

Another topic that people seem to take offense to is MCS's lack of clarity, communication, and service. There was even a poster who claimed that MSC communicates as effectively (or better?) than the other mainstream lines. All I can say to this is to please read all the reviews and make your own choice and share your own personal experiences before judging those of us with MSC experience. Even the most loyal cheerleaders of MSC identify this as an area of concern.

I fully admit to offering constructive criticism because MSC is, after all, a company with room to improve. Instead of being labeled negative, I'd prefer to be labeled a realist. I do realize that those who have yet to sail on MSC don't have any prior knowledge to make that distinction, but without the prior knowledge it baffles me why so many people appear over emotional to those of us who acknowledge that MSC has room for improvement.

Most of my postings are indended for those who have yet to commit to MSC and I do acknowledge that perception is key. Those who read my contributions as negative may be reading from the lense of a future MCS customer and therefore overly sensitive. Fair enough. However, I don't at all believe that negative is a fair or accurate description of my contributions to the fourm. I"ve stated many many positive aspects of MSC including, but not limited to, two live threads.

OP: sorry that was so long winded, but you posed a question that I have been contimplating myself lately and we all know I have a tendency to go on, and on, and on... :).

BB ... Hate to correct you but Deck 16 is not the Dinner Buffet! it is more of a snack Cafe/Buffet.

Actually deck 16 is in fact the dinner buffet.

MSC expects that the majority of people of guests will be eating in the MDR so the smaller buffet on 16 is the only one open at dinner. The larger buffet on 8 is closed as the dining area is use as a MDR for Bella passengers.

The annoyed JimZim because him and his wife don't like sitting together very long and have nothing to talk about after 35 years of marriage and as a result never eat in the MDR.

After 9pm the 16th deck buffet has more of an evening snack or dessert layout. We would often take the kids there for a little snack before bed.