Just off Anthem of the Seas - a few thoughts

So I would just have to download the Royal IQ app, not pay anything, then I can iMessage my husband?

You don't need to download the app, you can iMessage for free without the app and without VOOM, until they fix the firewall.

Nectarologist, thank you for this! The water/ice tip and iMessaging onboard was just what I wanted to know. Can you share what you did at Cococay? I’m trying to decide what to do with my 2 boys (14 and 11) on that day. I’d like a beach day - any recommendations?

Thanks!

How busy was the kids club? Were there big lines for flowrider? We are sailing soon during busy time and will be taking our kids so I would like to know what to expect . Thanks .

Sent from my SM-G935T using Forums mobile app

Hi. The clubs were not too busy, especially considering the high volume of kids on the sailing. I did learn that they limit each area to 50 kids. But I don't think that they ever got to that point. After 10 pm they did combine the 5-7 year olds with the 8-11?? yo. Not sure of the exact ages but those two general ranges where the ones combined.

Thanks for taking the time. I will sail this class of ship someday, but no definite plans. Till then, I'll keep reading these.

Coco Cay - very, very nice. I like it much better than NCL's island (though not as much as Disney's).

If your'e in the mood and have the time, I'd like to hear more on that, just in case ;)

[quote

Lost and found after you leave the ship - of course I left my new sunglasses in my room safe. One call to customer service told me the website they use for lost and found. Super easy. Even if they can't find the glasses it was a nice customer service feature to have this online program.

I had not heard of this before. Can you let us know how it works in the end for you?

You don't need to download the app, you can iMessage for free without the app and without VOOM, until they fix the firewall.

Has anyone experienced texting success via Android os onboard wo voom? I want to be completely off the grid but i would like to use my phone for its camera and finding where the rugrats are?

You did not say if you had traditional or MTD. Other than the 1st day/night ever thing went pretty smooth. We sailed on the Jan. 28th cruise. The first day's breakfast was, a total disaster. Many Paxs, including ourselves, waited some 45 minutes for a table for 2.

When we finally were seated in Chic, we noticed some 3 tables for 2 that were unoccupied and stayed that way for the remainder of our stay. It took an additional 15 minutes for someone to take our order. It seemed as though there was a lowdown in process.

While waiting on line there were quite a few irate Paxs and some of them literally screaming and I thought there was going to be a riot. Only the Host(s) took the brunt and not one supervisor or head waiter around to explain, calm everybody or make exceptions.

Their primary goal, at least initially, was to force Paxs into sharing tables

The second day, we wanted to avoid the fiasco. When asked if we would share a table-- said yes and guess what--we got a table for 2. Go figure.

The other breakfast days, I made sure I was one of the first on line at 7:30am and incurred no problems whatsoever. Loved the breakfast salad bar in the Grande.

Lunch on sea days, we did not find as confusing as breakfast. Enjoyed the Tutti salad bar to go along with the magnificent dessert table.

Dinner, we knew our table # and basically entered the Grande and walked to our table without assistance.

I can't remember the table set up in the Grande on the Quantum, but on the Anthem they have 2 rows of tables for 2s for the entire length of the restaurant. We met some interesting and wonderful table mates.

We had mtd. I think I'd make sure I have a reserved time for the next time. You're right; no managers to help or reassure people they were helping to move things along. I felt bad for the staff. I must say I went to the Solarium the last night for dinner and it was very very nice.

Has anyone experienced texting success via Android os onboard wo voom? I want to be completely off the grid but i would like to use my phone for its camera and finding where the rugrats are?

No reports of free texting from Android devices as yet. Does anyone make an iMessage compatible app for Android? The theory has been that Royal's texting capability for the Royal IQ app somehow uses Apple iMessage technology, so that's why the firewall is open for iMessage.

Is this for all ships? Could you post for future lost and found reference?

Hi. The site is chargerback.com The customer service rep from Royal did ask my ship before directing me to the site so maybe they are not all listed but many of them are if it's not all. Hopefully you won't need to use it :)

I agree with most of your points. Thank you for your review.

I do think Anthem can get pretty overcrowded. We sailed on her twice. Both times it was sold out. Our last cruise was during Thanksgiving.

We found Royal Esplanade to be narrow and overcrowded most of the time. We also thought that Schooners bar where nice music is usually played to have a bad location right near Music Hall with very loud music.

We are sailing on her again on Thanksgiving 2018 as overall we liked experience.

Good points about Schooner/Music Hall. I forgot about the Royal Esplanade. It was a bit like a flea market with the tables set up. But people seemed to love it. There was always crowds looking at merchandise. Not my cup of tea and made for unnecessary crowding.

Nectarologist, thank you for this! The water/ice tip and iMessaging onboard was just what I wanted to know. Can you share what you did at Cococay? I’m trying to decide what to do with my 2 boys (14 and 11) on that day. I’d like a beach day - any recommendations?

Thanks!

Hi Jaynice. You'll be able to get tender tickets 2 days before (I think) in the 270 room. I had number 31 and got to Cococay about 10:30 am (10:45 latest). They didn't check the tender tickets so if you get a high number and still want to go early you could. They may check numbers as the crowds get larger but at 10:30 it wasn't crowded to get off the ship.

There were plenty of lounge chairs available when we arrived but by 11:30 they were being used. They rent umbrellas for $25 but it was too windy our day to so they didn't rent them. Our plan all along was to go early and come back early and I'm glad we stuck to that; it worked for us. We left to come back about 2:30/3 pm.

We went to the left as we got off the tender at Cococay. It great for lounging on the beach. Bar and food not too far away. It's where the snorkeling is too. The snorkeling spots are a bit of a distance out in the water so I'd make sure you kids rent and use the snorkel vests. It says mandatory but I don't know that anyone enforces this. I know when I was 11/14 I would think I didn't need it but they will tire quicker than they think so you may want to make that a non-negotiable (plus everyone else has it on).

Thanks for taking the time. I will sail this class of ship someday, but no definite plans. Till then, I'll keep reading these.

If your'e in the mood and have the time, I'd like to hear more on that, just in case ;)

[quote

Lost and found after you leave the ship - of course I left my new sunglasses in my room safe. One call to customer service told me the website they use for lost and found. Super easy. Even if they can't find the glasses it was a nice customer service feature to have this online program.

I had not heard of this before. Can you let us know how it works in the end for you?

Hi. As far as the island comparisons I found NCL's island to have a very rough beach and the coast line where water meets the sand was like ground concrete. I believe it actually was b/c it was the same looking material that was obviously poured casts to prevent erosion on the island. You needed water shoes. Also I felt that there was a lot of walking to get to where we went but this may have just been my own doing of where I picked to go. Coco Cay had great sand (no shoes needed) and you could hit the beach within 100 feet of stepping off the tender. They also have a great hot dog / sausage stand near the tender exit (just to the left). The beach on Coco Cay (at least to the left) was great, especially for younger kids. It was protected on two sides so you didn't have rough waters slamming into shore.

One time w/ NCL we had a cabana that was nice but we had to walk far for it. On Disney they have 2 things going for them. They have a dock (which it looked like Royal is building, yeah!) and they have a tram system. Their walk is long too but the tram takes care of that. Plus their walk is along a boardwalk or paved surface. Also I had a cabana once with Disney and they golf cart you right to the cabana. The cabana itself was head and shoulders above the NCL one. Now we're talking total whiner things to nitpick on. But I want to mention so you and others know (had a great time at both). Disney is also double the price for the cabana so I wouldn't expect the NCL to be the same. Royal's cabanas were sold out as I expected them to be (usually need a suite to score one w most lines). Out of all three islands Disney's was decorated the nicest, though all beautiful. I mean you're on a private island...it's great! DCL's card system was hardwired which made it more efficient to complete purchases (gift shop or bar), no writing of names, room #. Not a big deal but when you're trying to service a couple of hundred people in an hour ever 30 seconds saved helps. Disney was cool in that you could rent bikes and ride a bike path around the island. Also they have Pelican Plunge a permanent structure w/ slides water spouts etc. Seems like other line's islands use giant blow up slides. Royal did have a tram for it's cabana renters.

I will post a follow up to let you know how the process went. One cool thing was you can set up text alerts so they can just text you with updates.

I wanted to add that the dive shop on board the ship was fantastic. I bought two kids a snorkel set and one goggles. At first I didn't want to spend the $44 for the snorkel set (or $20 for goggles) but I know how much my kids like using them (even just the mask in a pool). I'm so glad I bought them onboard and spent the money. They were high quality. The lady fit all 3 of my kids properly (I would have bought a suboptimal size for 2 of them) and she told me where to go snorkel on Coco Cay and what the two main snorkel spots offered. I also bought two neoprene sleeves for the mask strap for $8 each on Coco Cay in the gift shop. No more pulled hair for my girls!

Edited by Nectarologist
adding about the dive shop

I agree with most of your points. Thank you for your review.

I do think Anthem can get pretty overcrowded. We sailed on her twice. Both times it was sold out. Our last cruise was during Thanksgiving.

We found Royal Esplanade to be narrow and overcrowded most of the time. We also thought that Schooners bar where nice music is usually played to have a bad location right near Music Hall with very loud music.

We are sailing on her again on Thanksgiving 2018 as overall we liked experience.

The Royal Esplanade was always congested during the night when they had their $10 sales tables opened. Other than that, the Quantum class design is good a keeping a feeling of not be crowded even with 4K of passengers.

The Royal Esplanade was always congested during the night when they had their $10 sales tables opened. Other than that, the Quantum class design is good a keeping a feeling of not be crowded even with 4K of passengers.

Agree, love the design of Q class and the decor is gorgeous in my opinion. I never found the Esplanade any more crowded than the Royal Promenade during busy times.

Hi Jaynice. You'll be able to get tender tickets 2 days before (I think) in the 270 room. I had number 31 and got to Cococay about 10:30 am (10:45 latest). They didn't check the tender tickets so if you get a high number and still want to go early you could. They may check numbers as the crowds get larger but at 10:30 it wasn't crowded to get off the ship.

There were plenty of lounge chairs available when we arrived but by 11:30 they were being used. They rent umbrellas for $25 but it was too windy our day to so they didn't rent them. Our plan all along was to go early and come back early and I'm glad we stuck to that; it worked for us. We left to come back about 2:30/3 pm.

We went to the left as we got off the tender at Cococay. It great for lounging on the beach. Bar and food not too far away. It's where the snorkeling is too. The snorkeling spots are a bit of a distance out in the water so I'd make sure you kids rent and use the snorkel vests. It says mandatory but I don't know that anyone enforces this. I know when I was 11/14 I would think I didn't need it but they will tire quicker than they think so you may want to make that a non-negotiable (plus everyone else has it on).

So if I’m understanding you, there’s no need to purchase an excursion. Just head to the beach from the tender. Is that right? Costco has snorkel sets and my kids have vests for kayaking...may think about lugging them along. Thoughts?

Omg, soooo excited!! Thank you!

So if I’m understanding you, there’s no need to purchase an excursion. Just head to the beach from the tender. Is that right? Costco has snorkel sets and my kids have vests for kayaking...may think about lugging them along. Thoughts?

Omg, soooo excited!! Thank you!

Yes, CocoCay is just a glorious beach day. Unless you really want to do something on their excursion list, just make your own beach fun.

If the kids like that kind of stuff, there is a 'waterpark' with an inflated slide and stuff to climb on.

Hi. The clubs were not too busy, especially considering the high volume of kids on the sailing. I did learn that they limit each area to 50 kids. But I don't think that they ever got to that point. After 10 pm they did combine the 5-7 year olds with the 8-11?? yo. Not sure of the exact ages but those two general ranges where the ones combined.

Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Forums mobile app

Good points about Schooner/Music Hall. I forgot about the Royal Esplanade. It was a bit like a flea market with the tables set up. But people seemed to love it. There was always crowds looking at merchandise. Not my cup of tea and made for unnecessary crowding.

You think that was bad, you should have seen the madhouse at the Jewelry store, as they were giving away some "Levian" chocolate diamond piece. On one occasion, the line stretched all the way back to near the theatre.

By any chance did you do any specialty restaurants or was the MDRs good? On NCL, we pick them as one of our free options and have become quite spoiled. We are trying to decide if we want to purchase a 3-4 restaurant dining package on our upcoming cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums