Valuables at the beach

jerseymermaid

I would like to ask all you cruisers out there, when you go to the beach what do you do with your valuables (camera, phone, cc, cash etc). thank you.

I have a waterproof camera that stays strapped to my wrist. Don't take my phone (who am I going to call/text?). Credit cards, ships's cards, and driver's licenses, as well as cash, can get wet - they go in a pocket in my swimsuit.

I would like to ask all you cruisers out there, when you go to the beach what do you do with your valuables (camera, phone, cc, cash etc). thank you.

What do you do when you go to the beach at home?

If we are with friends, then we rotate watching each other’s stuff.

If just us and the kids, we rotate.

If snorkeling off of a boat, we rotate.

If on our own, we rotate.

Well, since renting an alligator to protect your stuff is out of the question, how about just leaving the valuables (like your iPhone) locked up in your cabin? Get a waterproof case, either on line or at the ship's gift shop, to put your credit card and a few dollars in. If you must have a camera, purchase an inexpensive disposable camera prior to your cruise. Make friends with your beach neighbors and offer to watch their stuff while they're swimming and ask if they'll do the same for you.

In the past we haven’t brought much (definitely no iPhone), have waterproof cameras, and take turns watching for each other. This year, I’ve bought a lockbox safe that I can attach to a heavy or immovable object. I know that it’s not foolproof, but it will be a major deterrent. A thief would either have to have cable cutters or steal the chair/table/umbrella I will attach it to. Both would draw attention to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Putting stuff in a safe will deter the opportunist thief, but I would have thought it would attract the "professional" thief - a random carrier bag probably has nothing valuable in it; a safe certainly has something valuable. Unless the object it's attached to really is immovable, I can well imagine them picking up the chair and taking it away.

We bring a baby’s diaper. Wrap up our items and place them on our beach chair. No one has ever touched our belongings.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Or use something inconspicuous, such as a Pringles can, a Tampon box, or some other ordinary everyday item that wouldn't look out of place in your beach bag. There are some videos on Youtube with helpful ideas.

Don't bring my cellphone and have a waterproof camera that goes in the water with us. Credit cards, cash, ship's card, ID all go into a Witz Surfsafe case that is in my swimsuit pocket or around my neck

Thanks for the tip! Just ordered a Witz Surfsafe case. Last year on our cruise, we didn't feel our belongings were safe on the beach while we were swimming, so we took turns watching our stuff along with another couple. For Septembers cruise, you can find us in the water with no worries!

Sent from my iPad using Forums