How strict is Carnival with boarding times out of Tampa?

CPAYNE1997

We are sailing on Carnival Paradise April 5th and it completely slipped my mind to do online check in early. When I remembered to do it the available boarding times were all after 2pm. Our flight arrives into Tampa at 8am so we will be at the port extra early but will we honestly have to wait until 2pm to get into the building? I would completely do FTTF but we have two cabins and its only a 4 day (1 port) cruise. We are literally 6 days away from Platinum:rolleyes:! Not to mention my son is having knee surgery 2 weeks prior and might still be on crutches. I am so frustrated....I do not know what to do!:(

We are sailing on Carnival Paradise April 5th and it completely slipped my mind to do online check in early. When I remembered to do it the available boarding times were all after 2pm. Our flight arrives into Tampa at 8am so we will be at the port extra early but will we honestly have to wait until 2pm to get into the building? I would completely do FTTF but we have two cabins and its only a 4 day (1 port) cruise. We are literally 6 days away from Platinum:rolleyes:! Not to mention my son is having knee surgery 2 weeks prior and might still be on crutches. I am so frustrated....I do not know what to do!:(

If I’m not mistaken if you do the airport transfer you get to skip the line at the port similar to having Fttf or a suite if I’m wrong someone will correct me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just was on the Paradise out of Tampa and had FTTF. On line it said 11:30 to 12. Sat in the FTTF row for almost an hour waiting for the camera crew set up. Got on board at 11:50 and was going to go to our cabin, they had the doors closed to get down the hall and I told the cabin steward we had FTTF and he let us in the cabin early. Was going to be 2pm. And I landed at the same time you did.

I just was on the Paradise out of Tampa and had FTTF. On line it said 11:30 to 12. Sat in the FTTF row for almost an hour waiting for the camera crew set up. Got on board at 11:50 and was going to go to our cabin, they had the doors closed to get down the hall and I told the cabin steward we had FTTF and he let us in the cabin early. Was going to be 2pm. And I landed at the same time you did.

You do know most Carnival ships don't start boarding until 11:30am.... This includes FTTP/Platinum and Diamond. Based on your time estimates.....looks like you just got there early and was waiting for boarding to commence.

You do know most Carnival ships don't start boarding until 11:30am.... This includes FTTP/Platinum and Diamond. Based on your time estimates.....looks like you just got there early and was waiting for boarding to commence.
No I didn't know that since it was my first CCL cruise, but do now and thanks for making sure I knew it.

Following....our boarding time is 1:30 - 2:00

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

The check-in time is NOT the same as the boarding time. If the ship begins boarding at 11:30, and you have a check-in time of 1:30, you'll be able to board right after you check in at 1:30. However, if you arrive at the terminal earlier than your check-in time, even if the ship has already begun boarding, you will not be allowed to enter the terminal until your check-in time, unless you have Priority status, such as Platinum, Diamond or FTTF. The staggered check-in times were implemented to reduce crowding in the terminal. Unfortunately CPAYNE, if your flight arrives at 8:00 a.m., and you can't get a check-in time earlier than 2;00 p.m., and you don't have FTTF, you'll have to find something to do to kill about 5 1/2 - 6 hours.

First, the Carnival shuttle does not get you in front of earlier check in times. There are posts from cruisers who have gotten on board before their time, but would not count on it. Carnival runs the program very strictly. There is not much you can do.

I'm not sure how long it takes to recuperate from that but if he is not able to walk well, you should probably contact special needs department.

My friend had a stroke and I should have done that because it was very difficult for her. Also during muster, there will be a special place for your son to go rather than with everyone else.

Call and arrange it before you go.

Happy cruising. :):)

The check-in time is NOT the same as the boarding time. If the ship begins boarding at 11:30, and you have a check-in time of 1:30, you'll be able to board right after you check in at 1:30. However, if you arrive at the terminal earlier than your check-in time, even if the ship has already begun boarding, you will not be allowed to enter the terminal until your check-in time, unless you have Priority status, such as Platinum, Diamond or FTTF. The staggered check-in times were implemented to reduce crowding in the terminal. Unfortunately CPAYNE, if your flight arrives at 8:00 a.m., and you can't get a check-in time earlier than 2;00 p.m., and you don't have FTTF, you'll have to find something to do to kill about 5 1/2 - 6 hours.

I should have worded by question differently. I am aware that boarding and check-in times are completely different. I was basically trying to figure out if we would be allowed to enter the terminal building prior to our scheduled time of 2:00pm. From what everyone is saying it’s probably not likely. I wasn't sure how much the check-in times were enforced. We went ahead and purchased the FTTF for both cabins and at the suggestion of another poster I will also contact the special needs department. Thank you all for the suggestions and clarification. :)

Edited by CPAYNE1997

I'm not sure how long it takes to recuperate from that but if he is not able to walk well, you should probably contact special needs department.

My friend had a stroke and I should have done that because it was very difficult for her. Also during muster, there will be a special place for your son to go rather than with everyone else.

Call and arrange it before you go.

Happy cruising. :):)

Thank you for the suggestion. I will definitely do that!

True! I was also told by a Carnival employee to keep checking the website that earlier slots could open up.

With FTTF...You are "priority" status.... the times are irrelevant. You can enter the terminal once it opens and FTTF will board the ship once Diamond, Platinum and Suite passengers have boarded and before they begin boarding by time slots.

If it's anything like our boarding process with Miracle in Tampa last month, the special needs (those in wheel chairs, elderly with walkers, scooters, etc....) and guests with them we're fast tracked through check in so as to not need to wait in the long lines. In fact we we're brought to front of FTTF and all other fast tracker's. Therefore, based on the surgery, do the special needs/wheel chair assistance boarding and refund the FTTF

If it's anything like our boarding process with Miracle in Tampa last month, the special needs (those in wheel chairs, elderly with walkers, scooters, etc....) and guests with them we're fast tracked through check in so as to not need to wait in the long lines. In fact we we're brought to front of FTTF and all other fast tracker's. Therefore, based on the surgery, do the special needs/wheel chair assistance boarding and refund the FTTF

I would keep FTTF to have the cabin ready at embarkation.

True! I was also told by a Carnival employee to keep checking the website that earlier slots could open up.

CPAYNE, now that you have FTTF, there are two things you'll need to keep in mind. When you print off your luggage tags, check to make sure that the "FTTF" logo is on the upper right-hand corner of the tags. 99.9% of the time, there won't be a problem. But, on rare occasions, the logo is missing. If there is a problem, just contact you PVP or Carnival to have it corrected. Also, when you get to the terminal, as the porter is about to take your bags, make sure he puts an orange "Priority" tag on each piece you're checking in. Most porters are pretty good about it, but there are a few that are a bit lax about it.

Make sure you check in at the airport, that will really shorten your time when you get to the terminal. Follow the signs to ground transportation, when you come down the escalators you should see the giant Carnival check in area.. Will make your life much easier when you get to the terminal. You can also get on the shuttle to the ship there.

If your son is on crutches still, he will need to use the elevator to get into the terminal, rather than the escalator. It is to the right of the valet parking kiosk. You should consider wheelchair assist, as knee surgery can be a b*****. (From a mom who has had to deal with a son with knee surgery.) I think that wheelchair assist starts at the elevator. They will take you through check-in and all the way to the atrium.

You might want to consider renting a wheelchair, as crutches get very tiresome after awhile. They aren't very expensive and that way you will have one if he should need it. Handicap muster is in the main theater. If he is in a wheelchair, they will let you in a little early. The theater is also used as muster station A and is packed like cattle, from the front row to the back, as close as you can sit. He will not have to walk up the stairs to get to the lifeboat if he is not able. If you have "registered" with Handicap Services, his name will be on their list as needing assistance. If you have not registered, it is no problem to stay in the theater after all the others leave to go the lifeboats. They can add him to the list then.

Not knowing his age, I know that my 19 yo would never have been able to make it on crutches 2 weeks after his MPFL. He was all tough and thought it was going to be a piece of cake. Turns out one of us had to help him get onto/off the bed/couch as he could not use his thigh muscles to lift or lower his leg. Took him about two weeks to be able to get around more easily, but it was still painful. So....don't forget his pain meds just in case.

Good luck and enjoy your vacation!