Bottled water package?

Unless you fly. Most airlines charge $25/checked bag (Southwest and Jet Blue are the only exceptions I know), making your $3 case of water cost $28. :)

Jet Blue is no longer an exception, They charge for the first bag now.

• 2 months later...
When does the pre-cruise option to buy water show up in one's Personalizer? Nothing offered now, but still outside 75 days for 18 Aug Seattle sailing.

This is where I found the water package in my Cruise Personalizer for cruises a year from now.

• Onboard Reservations
  • Beverage Packages

Bottled Water Package $6.90 for 12 (500 ml) bottles

• 12 (500 ml) bottles of water conveniently delivered to the stateroom. Price includes service charge.
    For pre-purchase ONLY through Gift Guide or Cruise Personalizer

When does the pre-cruise option to buy water show up in one's Personalizer? Nothing offered now, but still outside 75 days for 18 Aug Seattle sailing.

Normally there available straight away. We've just booked for Feb 2020 and it's available to book.

This is where I found the water package in my Cruise Personalizer for cruises a year from now.

-Onboard Reservations

• Beverage Packages

Bottled Water Package $6.90 for 12 (500 ml) bottles

• 12 (500 ml) bottles of water conveniently delivered to the stateroom. Price includes service charge.
    For pre-purchase ONLY through Gift Guide or Cruise Personalizer

It is exactly like that on our personalizer right now. I'm glad you reminded me. Just ordered two 12 bottle cases. We sail Nov. 23rd for a month. Before our last cruise in Jan & Feb I ordered one case which I thought was 24 bottles, guess I was wrong as they only offered 12 bottle cases. Anyway, there was a 12 bottle case in our cabin when we arrived but it was free. Due a special package benefit or something they said. About half way through the voyage I ordered another case, they said I couldn't do that, it had to be a pre-order? Any water from then on was to $2.00 per bottle.

No big deal, but I'm concerned that they might start doing this with wine and spirits. In other words, everything from cabin service for cabin consumption must be pre-ordered.

We ordered 10 cases (120 bottles) for our last cruise, 10 day Alaska. They were all in a stack in our room when we boarded. We had 36 bottles left when the cruise was over; we gave them to our room steward (they have to pay for bottled water as well). We have 15 cases ordered for our next cruise, 15 day Hawaii. The expense is so minor that I would never consider trying to carry cases to the ship, but that is just me.

I’m not risking injuring my back to lug a 40 bottle case of bottled water from anywhere. ;)

The cost difference for the few bottles of water we purchase is insignificant to the total cost of a cruise. Several weeks ago there was a big uproar here when a temporary computer glitch made the water package unavailable. Apparently they bombarded Princess about the elimination so we’re not alone in wanting the water package.

Although I will bring some of our preferred wine to enjoy during our cruise but that’s in our wheeled carryon bags. :wine-glass:

There are different ways to define no brainer and mine is to not take a large case of water. ;)

Actually the uproar was not really about the removal - it was Princess putting it back out for almost $24 for those 12 bottles we'd previously been buying at $6.90. That only lasted about a day (and yes, a lot of people either called, emailed or posted to FB about the outrageous increase). Ooops - computer glitch says Princess. Yeah, right. I called Princess when the package disappeared and they said they were making changes to it. I think it was the next day when it reappeared at the higher cost. It all ended well when they said they'd refund difference if anyone paid the $24 and then there it was - back up for $6.90. I immediately ordered for all upcoming cruises as did quite a few others.

We drive to a lot of our cruises & I'm with the others who don't want the hassle of lugging water onboard. :cool:

Actually the uproar was not really about the removal - it was Princess putting it back out for almost $24 for those 12 bottles we'd previously been buying at $6.90. That only lasted about a day (and yes, a lot of people either called, emailed or posted to FB about the outrageous increase). Ooops - computer glitch says Princess. Yeah, right. I called Princess when the package disappeared and they said they were making changes to it. I think it was the next day when it reappeared at the higher cost. It all ended well when they said they'd refund difference if anyone paid the $24 and then there it was - back up for $6.90. I immediately ordered for all upcoming cruises as did quite a few others.

We drive to a lot of our cruises & I'm with the others who don't want the hassle of lugging water onboard. [emoji41]

Yep...if you had seen my posts on the various discussions about the situation you explained you’d know that I agree with you. [emoji4]

Although there was an uproar when the water packages were briefly removed.

Edited by Astro Flyer

[/i][/font][/color]

No big deal, but I'm concerned that they might start doing this with wine and spirits. In other words, everything from cabin service for cabin consumption must be pre-ordered.

Don't be concerned. The pre-ordering for the water is just for the special pricing. You can get all the bottled water you want on board, just for the regular Princess price.

A little history:

The pre-cruise water package has only been available the last two or three years. Before Princess offered it, Carnival started offering their version of it.

The reason Carnival started offering it is because Carnival started prohibiting bring aboard any bottles of water or other beverage, either at embarkation or at a port stop. Their rules do not even allow you to bring a Carnival supplied bottle of water back from a port stop. The reason for doing all this was to prevent passengers from bringing alcohol beverages aboard disguised as bottles of water or soda.

Some felt that when Princess started offering the pre-cruise water package it was in preparation for also prohibiting bottled water or other bottled beverages from being brought on board, but, so far at least, that has not happened.

The convenience at <$7/case is a bargain in my book. We are booked for a 14-njight cruise in August and immediately order 2 cases. You can still drink the ship water, but having the bottles available is well worth the money and certainly out weighs have to buy it at Costco then lug it aboard with you just to save a couple of bucks. When you arrive on board the water will be waiting for you in your cabin, but this deal is only available prior to the cruise. On our last cruise we only purchased 1 case and asked after sailing if we could buy another and was told "no". If you don't pre-order before you cruise you may be faced with buying single bottles on board which will cost you a great deal more.

As far as we are concerned it is one of the best bargains on board.

Thank you for this question. I've wondered about it too. I've bought 2 cases for our upcoming 15day to Hawaii. Dh and I are driving to the Crowne Plaza and keeping our car there. It's worth it to me to not lug around heavy water when the cost will only come to $14. I was THRILLED to see that Princess now offers this service. :D

I know the cabin has a refrigerator, but does it have a freezer in it as well? I'm hoping to freeze a few bottles on the cruise to take out when visiting ports.

At home, when I go fishing or we go out to the lake or river, I freeze about 3 or 4 (or more) bottles of water per person going on my boat. I'll then use the bottles as the ice in my cooler where our lunches and/or snacks are. If I need some water, I'll take it out and it melts pretty quickly in the sun, but there's always enough to quench my thirst by the time ice melts.

We alternate Princess and Royal Caribbean. In April we sailed on Serenade of the Seas. We bought Walmart’s Great Value water which is dirt cheap, in case we never saw it again. We put as many as we could into a large tote bag, tagged and checked it.

Our previous cruise was on Coral. I ordered three cases and they were stacked in the closet when we arrived.

As little hassle as bringing our own water was on Serenade, I think having it waiting for us on Coral was priceless. And we didn’t have to worry about stuffing that bulky tote bag into our luggage.

And that cheap water tastes exactly the same as Dasani and Fiji.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

+1 +1 +1

Spot on!!

Even when we embark in the port of SF, right out our back door, we still like the convenience of just having the bottled water brought to our stateroom. It is much easier for us to pack light if we don't have to lug a case of bottled along with us.

Thanks for being the voice of choice and reason. $7 for a case of water is not going to kill us, but lugging it in our luggage just might. LOL!

For those who fly in we use to take a Uber/Lyft to the nearest convenience/grocery store if you can convince your driver to wait 10 minutes while you run in and out. 3.99 case of water and some soda plus $10-20 dollar ride service fee, the water bought on the ship and grab a case in juneau or ketchikan is worth just ordering on the ship and not hauling a case of water around.