Viking River Cruise Attire

Judy1985

Hello I was wondering what would be too dressed up for the Captain's dinner or the Welcome Aboard Dinner? I would like to wear a long dress, but do not want to be the only woman wearing one. Also, are people wearing athletic walking shoes when touring? This is the first cruise for my husband and I and would appreciate any help. Thanks

There is a strong probability that you would be the only one in a 'long dress', but it is not unusual to see 'cocktail dresses' or similar sparkly attire...

When touring, wear whatever you find most comfortable.

Not to make things too complicated, but we did see some long dresses in the current maxi-dress style, more like a sundress that happens to be long. If by long dress you were leaning more to the formal end of things, I think that you most likely would be the only one wearing one.

The typical dress code is casual to very casual. The Captain’s dinner can best be described as business casual. No jackets, no ties, no formal ware

Footwear is whatever you are comfortable in. A lot of the tours involve cobblestone streets so make sure you bring appropriate shoes. I usually bring athletic shoes for the walking tours and deck shoes for other activities on the ship.

I appreciate the information. Have you been on a Viking river cruise?

Yes, we have cruised the Danube with Viking, from Budapest to Nuremburg, with their extension in Prague. Would do a river cruise again with them in a heartbeat. The only reason we haven't done another one yet is that we tried our first ocean cruise with them and love that too. We have two more ocean trips booked and will get back to the rivers in the future.

In general, dress tends toward the casual rather than the dressy and business casual or country club casual is a better descriptor than elegant casual.

This is what Viking says about the dress code (taken from the FAQ):

Dress during the day is casual including shorts (if the season is warm), trousers or jeans and comfortable shoes for walking tours. There are no “formal nights” and recommended evening dress is “elegant casual” such as a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse for ladies; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. Ties and jackets are optional. We suggest you pack comfortable walking shoes, dressier shoes, a collapsible umbrella/lightweight rain gear; items you can layer like lightweight jackets/sweaters; sunglasses, a sun hat/visor, sunscreen; and toiletries including a travel-sized hand sanitizer. Depending on the season and destination, you may also want to add a warm coat, gloves and water-resistant footwear.

With around 200 people from several different countries on the cruises I've been on, there's been quite a variation in the clothes people wear for dinner.

I can understand why those in full-time work who are required to wear ties and jackets take a break on vacation.

On the reverse side I like the opportunity to wear dress up a bit for dinner. The wait staff are smartly uniformed, the ship officers are in uniform and I wear a collar, tie and jacket. I've never been the only one, but at a table you will find all sorts of dress choices and no-one feels out of place.

Wear what you are comfortable in, and enjoy your holiday.

During the day you will be walking on cobblestones and pavement. I alternated between grey hiking shoes and black flats.

Evenings on Viking are not dressy. Only one lady on my cruise got dressed to the nines for dinner. Everybody else just cleaned up a bit, if there was time after returning to the ship.

With around 200 people from several different countries on the cruises I've been on, there's been quite a variation in the clothes people wear for dinner.

I can understand why those in full-time work who are required to wear ties and jackets take a break on vacation.

On the reverse side I like the opportunity to wear dress up a bit for dinner. The wait staff are smartly uniformed, the ship officers are in uniform and I wear a collar, tie and jacket. I've never been the only one, but at a table you will find all sorts of dress choices and no-one feels out of place.

Wear what you are comfortable in, and enjoy your holiday.

I share your opinion. At home, I work in an environment where most everyone wears jeans every day. On vacation, I enjoy a chance to wear something nicer, so that's what I do. It makes the whole thing seem more special. However, I enjoy people who are good company, no matter what they choose to wear!

Previous posters have said it well and I can only add that our experience was smart casual in the dining room in the evenings.

From what I noticed most of the men wore collared shirts, either button-up or golf type. I didn't noticed anyone in tie or jacket. However it was June in France and really really warm. The women wore skirts or semi-dressy trousers with a nice top. One or two had lovely summery full length dresses..the swishy type. I don't recall any wearing formal wear even on the first night.

During the breakfast and lunch it was jeans or capris for ladies and jeans and casual shirts for the guys. We were out touring all day and there was often lots of climbing hills, up and down steps or around vineyards so comfy clothing and shoes were the order of the day. We will pack the same way for our upcoming cruise at the end of May.

I will admit I had packed a couple of "just in case" dresses but truthfully they never came off the hangers. Happy cruising and enjoy!

The Captains Dinner has a grand menu and the boat's captain sits at one of the tables* but otherwise it's much like any other dinner.

I think people dress much the same as any other evening

*unless there's some tricky navigation that needs him** in the wheelhouse.

**only had male captains so far

(my philosophy is when in doubt that's its better to be smartly dressed than sloppily

With many people complaining about the difficulty packing all their stuff into 50 pounds (and it was 44 on my last trip because of inter-Asian flights) I don't understand why anyone would want to bring something that would only be worn once on the trip, and might require additional accessories. Just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Forums mobile app