Bringing beverages aboard on Embarkation

LollipopLollipop

This is my last comment on this subject, since people are blasting my thoughts (and me personally), as I predicted.

Firstly, I'm not talking about a couple of bottles of water or two cans of coke when you come back from a port stop. I'm talking about cases of water and soda bringing brought on to the ship.

I apologize for believing that soda was available in the buffet. I genuinely believed that was accurate. I don't often drink soda unless it's used as a mixer for alcohol. It was an honest mistake, but I was inaccurate and I am sorry for misleading anyone.

Obviously, following the 'rules' is a choice. Celebrity's rules are above in Post #8. Everyone can make their own choice freely.

But remember that there are other rules that many posters complain about when Celebrity doesn't enforce - smoking on balconies, cigar smoke permeating other areas, people wearing shorts in the MDR at dinner,children with diapers in the pool, etc.

I just look at it another way: If you break one rule, I can't understand why people feel that they have the justification to complain about others who break rules. To me, that's hypocritical. Plain and simple.

I bet you're fun to travel with.

I just happened to have spoken with Celebrity earlier this evening, and was told that you can bring "as much as you can hand-carry" of nonalcoholic beverages on-board, along with two bottles of wine per cabin. I forgot to clarify whether there was any distinction between cans and bottles. (Carnival will allow sodas only in cans.) The cut-and-paste posted earlier indicating that non-alcoholic beverages are prohibited must be an outdated policy. IMO Celebrity needs a new webmaster as their website leaves much to be desired.

Hm, good to know! I saw the policy from the website too... but wondered since I've heard of so many other cruisers bringing water, etc...

Curious, water is a necessity, so does the ship provide tap water?/ is it not recommended to drink?

Hm, good to know! I saw the policy from the website too... but wondered since I've heard of so many other cruisers bringing water, etc...

Curious, water is a necessity, so does the ship provide tap water?/ is it not recommended to drink?

Yes, one can drink the ships 'tap' water in abundance and without additional charge. Even fill up a personal water bottle for consumption.

Some passengers prefer bottled or something else and not something from the beverage package for their own reasons.

There have been several recent reports of a ship or two with water which was felt to be not potable so bottled water was the preferred method of attaining it.

bon voyage

I bet you're fun to travel with.

Well said. They just can't stop themselves. Besides if they would check their facts they would find out that it is not against the rules to take soda and water on board (looks like post #8 was copied from a 2017 post)

Here is the updated list - alcohol is listed under a separate heading as it talks about what can be brought aboard, drinking age,etc....

Q.What items are prohibited on board?

A.Items with Heating Elements or Open Flames

Certain items that generate heat or produce an open flame are not permitted on ship. This includes clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. Curling irons and hair dryers are allowed.

Drugs or Other Illegal Substances

No illegal drugs or other illegal substances are allowed onboard or may be utilized during a Celebrity Cruises vacation, including during transfers to and from ships, inside terminals, while onboard, at our ports-of-call, during shore excursions or at our private destinations. Illegal drugs or substances will be confiscated and appropriate action taken, which may include removal from the ship and involvement of appropriate authorities. In addition, foreign governments at Celebrity Cruises ports-of-call have strict laws that address drug possession. Guests found in violation of such laws are subject to arrest and prosecution by the foreign jurisdiction (and perhaps United States or other authorities as well) and may be prevented from re-boarding the ship.

Weapons, Explosives or Other Dangerous Items

No weapon, explosive, or other item that presents a risk of harm to persons or property, are is permitted on board. The items not permitted on board will be taken by ship’s Security. Items such as dive knives must be reported to ship’s personnel at the time of boarding. They may be permitted on board, but held in safe custody by the ship's Security staff when not in use ashore. Firearms are not allowed onboard. Guests who declare to ship’s personnel the presence of a firearm (on their person or in their luggage) will be given the opportunity to dispose of the firearm prior to boarding. Guests who fail to declare the presence of a firearm may be denied boarding.

We used to take soda and water on board. Just a few because I too would prefer Pepsi to Coke. And no, I don't take it to a restaurant but I also don't order Coke nor am I in a restaurant all day either. I used to put it in baggies and stick it in our snorkel gear bag. Not hiding, just easy to carry.

Lately we have been getting the Classic package because the deals have been pretty good. But I'd never buy or for retail and would never upgrade, no sense for us. If the prices went back up I'd be back to bringing water and soda on board.... Oh yea, the water is fine to drink

Well said. They just can't stop themselves. Besides if they would check their facts they would find out that it is not against the rules to take soda and water on board (looks like post #8 was copied from a 2017 post)

/quote]

No I didn’t. I copied it directly in real time from Celebrity’s website and it’s still there. I’m not saying they don’t allow it, just that the website says they do.

• Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.
  • *Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors.
  • Illegal Drugs & Substances
  • Aerial Drones
  • Candles & Incense
  • **Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates
  • Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows
  • Skateboards & Surfboards
  • Martial Arts Gear
  • Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.
  • Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.
  • HAM Radios
  • Hookahs & Water Hookah Pipes.
  • Electrical Extension Cords
  • Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.
  • ***Alcoholic and Non-Alcoholic Beverages
  • Potentially hazardous food and/or food that requires refrigeration.

Edited by Cruise Junky

This is my last comment on this subject, since people are blasting my thoughts (and me personally), as I predicted.

Firstly, I'm not talking about a couple of bottles of water or two cans of coke when you come back from a port stop. I'm talking about cases of water and soda bringing brought on to the ship.

I apologize for believing that soda was available in the buffet. I genuinely believed that was accurate. I don't often drink soda unless it's used as a mixer for alcohol. It was an honest mistake, but I was inaccurate and I am sorry for misleading anyone.

Obviously, following the 'rules' is a choice. Celebrity's rules are above in Post #8. Everyone can make their own choice freely.

But remember that there are other rules that many posters complain about when Celebrity doesn't enforce - smoking on balconies, cigar smoke permeating other areas, people wearing shorts in the MDR at dinner,children with diapers in the pool, etc.

I just look at it another way: If you break one rule, I can't understand why people feel that they have the justification to complain about others who break rules. To me, that's hypocritical. Plain and simple.

No one is blasting your thoughts, people are blasting the inaccuracy of your statements. Since bringing water and soda on board are not against the rules, it does not make sense that you are comparing it to other rule breaking situations.

You did come off as a rather snotty.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the updated list - alcohol is listed under a separate heading as it talks about what can be brought aboard, drinking age,etc....

Q.What items are prohibited on board?

A.Items with Heating Elements or Open Flames

Certain items that generate heat or produce an open flame are not permitted on ship. This includes clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. Curling irons and hair dryers are allowed.

Drugs or Other Illegal Substances

No illegal drugs or other illegal substances are allowed onboard or may be utilized during a Celebrity Cruises vacation, including during transfers to and from ships, inside terminals, while onboard, at our ports-of-call, during shore excursions or at our private destinations. Illegal drugs or substances will be confiscated and appropriate action taken, which may include removal from the ship and involvement of appropriate authorities. In addition, foreign governments at Celebrity Cruises ports-of-call have strict laws that address drug possession. Guests found in violation of such laws are subject to arrest and prosecution by the foreign jurisdiction (and perhaps United States or other authorities as well) and may be prevented from re-boarding the ship.

Weapons, Explosives or Other Dangerous Items

No weapon, explosive, or other item that presents a risk of harm to persons or property, are is permitted on board. The items not permitted on board will be taken by ship’s Security. Items such as dive knives must be reported to ship’s personnel at the time of boarding. They may be permitted on board, but held in safe custody by the ship's Security staff when not in use ashore. Firearms are not allowed onboard. Guests who declare to ship’s personnel the presence of a firearm (on their person or in their luggage) will be given the opportunity to dispose of the firearm prior to boarding. Guests who fail to declare the presence of a firearm may be denied boarding.

We used to take soda and water on board. Just a few because I too would prefer Pepsi to Coke. And no, I don't take it to a restaurant but I also don't order Coke nor am I in a restaurant all day either. I used to put it in baggies and stick it in our snorkel gear bag. Not hiding, just easy to carry.

Lately we have been getting the Classic package because the deals have been pretty good. But I'd never buy or for retail and would never upgrade, no sense for us. If the prices went back up I'd be back to bringing water and soda on board.... Oh yea, the water is fine to drink

I was actually confused and had the same question because the current website actually does still list beverages in general as prohibited on a separate area (as of today). Bottom line, seems like bringing water or pop isn't a major offense, and the biggest risk is they'll take it away. Sounds like they usually don't. It seems like this rule would be really hard to enforce. Thanks for your feedback/info too! ...

• 8 months later...

I need to apologize to everyone. That was Royal Caribbean that had the 12 half liter bottle of water or soft drinks limit per cabin. We are sailing with a grandchild so the soft drink package was a $3 addon to the Internet package. Twelve half liter bottles will be fine for 4 days.

I have no issues with people bringing soda or water in their carry-on. 

I will have a big issue if my luggage is wet and clothes damaged because they were checked and busted. I have been on a cruise (not Celebrity) where someone had put wine in his checked bag. Bags are not handled with kid gloves - they are tossed and piled. His wine had busted and ruined someone else’s clothes. I know all of this because he was in the cabin next to mine (thankfully my bag was fine) and I heard the very loud discussion between him and the Hotel Director that he was going to have to cover the cleaning and/or replacement cost of every item his leaking luggage had damaged.

And yes, even plastic and aluminum containers can bust.

On 3/19/2018 at 9:05 PM, jkgourmet said:

Actually, it's not the only way. One can drink all the water and soft drinks they want in the dispensers in the buffet area(s). One can take a beverage package as one of their incentives.

OR one can not worry about it and realize that they are going to buy water and soda at home, and just enjoy themselves while on vacation. . .

If these alternatives don't suit, maybe it's time to switch to another cruise line where bringing cases of water and soda are very acceptable and common, right along with the rum runners.

Sorry if I sound snotty, but passengers complain bitterly about cruise lines that "nickle and dime". I don't get how doing stuff like this isn't nickle and diming, too. Do you bring your own soda, water, booze to a land based restaurant? It's a rhetorical question, because I know that y'all are gonna blast me.

Yes, you are sounding snotty.

These are boards are meant for people to ask questions and not be judged for those same questions.

Get a grip.

D

p.s. To the OP, I bring a couple of my own bottles of pop on board. I don't drink enough pop to justify the daily cost for the pop packages offered by the cruise ships.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
2 hours ago, Guinness4me said:

First time Celebrity cruiser, we have sailed only Disney, did I read that the mini fringe is stocked?  Of so, can I request prior to sail to have it emptied free of charge?

I plan on bringing water and carbonated water, need the space.

Yes, just ask your stateroom attendant to empty it.

Many passengers do that.

• Like 1