Asking 'for a friend'

RNGALNG

A coworker will turn 21 in 2019. He and most of his 20 year old buddies are looking to possibly cruise for a week this summer.

1. What lines allow a 20 year old to cruise on your own?

2. What lines allow drinking alcohol at that age?

Thanks.

Try P&O, or virtually any line sailing from a non-US port. Many lines allow 20 year olds to cruise on their own, but I do not think any itinerary sailing from a US port will allow under 21 year olds alcohol.

It is not a "party line" but pretty much what most people of all ages will like. I think they are trying to get more people from the US and Canada to book the line.

Regards John

I wouldn't be so sure with that. I am 31 and consider UK P&O a little traditional for my tastes. My elderly relatives sail with them twice a year and love it but they are in their 70s. I know they do more for families and they have a huge ship now and such but the fact the line has 3+ adult only ships is telling.

P&O may fit a family or couples but I personally would not book it to party hard as a 20 year old...despite us Brits being rather good at that. ;)

On the plus side...drinks are cheaper!

Not sure about the ages for traveling,(that may vary by line) but we've been on many, many different lines and as of the most recent sailing on any of them out of a US port, they all required "21 and older" for the purchase of alcohol.

A coworker will turn 21 in 2019. He and most of his 20 year old buddies are looking to possibly cruise for a week this summer.

1. What lines allow a 20 year old to cruise on your own?

2. What lines allow drinking alcohol at that age?

Thanks.

1: Disney and Cunard

2: from US ports, none. from European ports, they must be traveling with an adult 21 or older( and then its not every line that permits the waiver to be signed)

We read stories in the new about college students all the time that end badly.

Why would you be reading about the million of times college students party and nothing happens? No one would make an article about that.

I wouldn't be so sure with that. I am 31 and consider UK P&O a little traditional for my tastes. My elderly relatives sail with them twice a year and love it but they are in their 70s. I know they do more for families and they have a huge ship now and such but the fact the line has 3+ adult only ships is telling.

P&O may fit a family or couples but I personally would not book it to party hard as a 20 year old...despite us Brits being rather good at that. ;)

On the plus side...drinks are cheaper!

The original poster was simply asking whether there was a cruise line who would accept a booking from a 20 year old and whether they would be allowed to buy alcoholic drinks.

The responses tended to be against, under age drinkers, drunkards, rowdy party people going over the top. In the original post no suggestion was indicated that the prospective passengers wanted to run amoch. Even your comment "I personally would not book it to party hard as a twenty year old" is reminiscent of the Harry Enfield characterisation of famous people as the Self-Richeous Brothers. They are a group of people who just wanted to go on a cruise.

Lol John

The original poster was simply asking whether there was a cruise line who would accept a booking from a 20 year old and whether they would be allowed to buy alcoholic drinks.

The responses tended to be against, under age drinkers, drunkards, rowdy party people going over the top. In the original post no suggestion was indicated that the prospective passengers wanted to run amoch. Even your comment "I personally would not book it to party hard as a twenty year old" is reminiscent of the Harry Enfield characterisation of famous people as the Self-Richeous Brothers. They are a group of people who just wanted to go on a cruise.

Lol John

I understand you posted it as an option but I was challenging you 'good for all ages comment' which is why I quoted that part. I wasn't a drunken mess at 20 and even 11 years later I like a lot of fun and a good atmosphere with limits which seems to not be a strength for that P&O (it's a favourite of my family). Even if you are a rather sensible 20 year old I think P&O UK may appear a little formal if you are young,American and want to have good, clean fun.

The poster wanted advice so I gave it. Thats all.

Your reference to a 90s sketch show is rather bizarre?

Your reference to a 90s sketch show is rather bizarre?

Harry Enfield's characters, repeatedly took famous people and placed them in contemporary situations. Like a famous celebrity visiting ones local library and suggesting they would behave in a totally different way to the norm on the basis of their status completely disrupting the establishment. A bit like 20 year olds getting on a cruise and behaving badly because of their age. The Richeous Brothers characters would admonish them for behaving in such a terrible way. The obvious to all,except the brothers, is that this behaviour pattern wont happen. If you look at all the posts in response to the original almost every poster seems to think the twenty year olds will get involved in under age drinking despite some lines serving 18 year olds, get totally drunk, have outrageous parties and be a total nuisance. They probably just want to go as a group of friends and have a holiday.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Whether or not this person wants to party, he and his friends aren't going to be able to book a normal US cruise because of their age--that's the gist of it. And any that would allow them to book probably wouldn't be very enjoyable.

They'd be better off sailing out of Europe (which has added expenses, obviously) or finding a country that would allow them to book a hotel, buy alcohol, etc., at their age. Or just go on a fun road trip or any number of other vacation options.

Whether or not this person wants to party, he and his friends aren't going to be able to book a normal US cruise because of their age--that's the gist of it. And any that would allow them to book probably wouldn't be very enjoyable.

They'd be better off sailing out of Europe (which has added expenses, obviously) or finding a country that would allow them to book a hotel, buy alcohol, etc., at their age. Or just go on a fun road trip or any number of other vacation options.

Has the OP even returned and/or commented on the answers?

Has the OP even returned and/or commented on the answers?

Yes RNGALNG posts on #15. To say the 20ish potential cruiser is mature, being raised by an ex-marine and that he/she knows Princess would not be a suitable line but thinks we might know of an alternative line where they could book.

Regards John