cell phones

LA_CA_GAL

Just curious about anyone's experience calling home on a cell phone from the cruise ship.

BTW, I will be using a Samsung 7s with Verizon.

This is what Princess has on their web site, and seems like it will not be a problem.

Every Princess ship is equipped with an advanced cellular communications network. This network allows you to send as well as receive voice calls, text messages and data services on your personal mobile device. Mobile device service is available for use when the ship is at sea, in international waters and in other areas where such use is permitted. All charges will be conveniently billed to you by your mobile device provider.

Sure, you can use your cell phone to call from the ship. But you might have to mortgage your house to afford the bill. :o

From reading the Verizon cruise ship costs, it looks like they will charge $3 a minute.

Considering I am already into the cruise for $8,000 and have yet to board, $3 won't break the bank. It is already broke!;p:D:D:D

Cellular at Sea used to be $2.49 per minute PLUS charges from your carrier for phone calls. This was a few years ago; we don't do this, so I haven't looked recently. You'll be able to communicate a lot cheaper on line--Skype or Facetime, or just e-mail works fine. If your cruise has any US ports (St. Thomas, Alaska, etc.), our cell plan works just as if we were at home.

Text message costs vary with provider. Some are free, some 5 cents incoming, 50 cents outgoing, and I'm sure some other prices while on board. Again, I'd suggest internet.

From reading the Verizon cruise ship costs, it looks like they will charge $3 a minute.

Considering I am already into the cruise for $8,000 and have yet to board, $3 won't break the bank. It is already broke!;p:D:D:D

You'll have the charge from Verizon PLUS the charge from the ship for using their system for the "uplink".

You'll have the charge from Verizon PLUS the charge from the ship for using their system for the "uplink".

But if you are in a port in Alaska for example, you would only be using your usual Verizon cell service, correct? Ship charges only apply if calling from the ship, correct? I ask as we are booked on an Alaska cruise this June. Thanks!

These days, texts and emails seem to take care of our communications needs but your situation may be quite different. I used to use an app called Viber that allowed me to make phone calls over wifi; the connection was outstanding. I've never used the wifi calling on my iPhone but I think I'll give it a try on my next trip just to see how it works.

But if you are in a port in Alaska for example, you would only be using your usual Verizon cell service, correct? Ship charges only apply if calling from the ship, correct? I ask as we are booked on an Alaska cruise this June. Thanks!

Yes. If you are on land in Alaska there won't be any charge through the ship, just whatever your plan charges you.

In spite of the fact that all of the documents from Princess and Verizon say you can make and receive calls and text messages while at sea, have a "Plan B" (which will probably involve paying for internet minutes). We did a 14 day Hawaii cruise on the Star last fall and I printed out copies of every "how to" post here on CC that I could find - but was never able to get it to work at sea. The hosts at the internet cafe were less than helpful - adamantly telling me it couldn't be done even after I showed them the quote above which is printed in the Guest Services Directory in your room.

If you have Verizon, make sure you have turned on wireless calling. That way you can log onto the internet on Princess and make calls via wireless. The cost would only be what the internet costs are. If you leave the cell/data on, you will end up paying quite a bit, so put the phone in airplane mode. Use the wireless calling if you need to make a call. Verizon wireless calling also allows for texts. I've made many calls and texts from the ship this way and since I was using free internet time, never incurred a charge.

If you want to use internet calling you need to set up your phone to do this at home - it needs to have an address for the extended 911 system before it will work. In any area with free wifi your phone should work just like normal. With a wifi network that is password protected like the ship, you will need to connect to the network and open a browser to enter the password (on our phone we only have to do this once). On Princess make sure you log off after the call or you will continue to burn expensive internet minutes. On board you will turn off cellular (easiest is turn on airplane mode) and then turn wifi on.

This all assumes that both your phone and carrier support wifi calling.

Best advise....you are on vacation....turn it off, throw it in the safe until disembarkation day.....Charges 0

Not everybody can do that for numerous reasons. But some missed the ship and made you Captain somehow.

Just curious about anyone's experience calling home on a cell phone from the cruise ship.

BTW, I will be using a Samsung 7s with Verizon.

This is what Princess has on their web site, and seems like it will not be a problem.

Every Princess ship is equipped with an advanced cellular communications network. This network allows you to send as well as receive voice calls, text messages and data services on your personal mobile device. Mobile device service is available for use when the ship is at sea, in international waters and in other areas where such use is permitted. All charges will be conveniently billed to you by your mobile device provider.

Last year, I paid Verizon $40 for a month of international-is-the-same-as-local

service, so calls from the Emerald Princess or ashore in Australia and New Zealand

were billed as if I were calling from my home to the neighbor next door -- i.e. no

charge other than the monthly service charge plus the $40. Included sending and

receiving lots of texts and a minuscule data allowance.

Without such, pray for a winning PowerBall ticket.

This was the case on our Alaskan cruise. Just be sure that you are connecting to an Alaskan tower, not a Canadian one (which would result in international roaming charges). Your phone will show this at the top. There are places where the nearest tower might be in Canada.