Old sale vs new sale???

Hflors

I put a cruise on hold. When we decide if we want to take the cruise will we be held to the "Seas the day" sale or will we be able to use the upcoming sale? Trying to decide on this cruise. It's a long one and we want to be sure.

I put a cruise on hold. When we decide if we want to take the cruise will we be held to the "Seas the day" sale or will we be able to use the upcoming sale? Trying to decide on this cruise. It's a long one and we want to be sure.

How long is the hold good for?

I would think there's no commitment on either side until the cruise is booked with payment of the deposit. Even then, under some circumstances, when a better deal is being offered before final payment, the better price can be gotten.

HAL is starting to re-do the fares as they prepare to end seas the day. A cruise I'm looking at no longer has the seas the day logo or the nonrefundable deposit info on the itinerary page (first page of a dummy booking). The prices on this page are the same as they were for seas the day. BUT when I choose a category to do a dummy booking (Neptune suite), the lowest price (SC) is $300 pp more (10 day cruise), whether I choose the cabin or they do. These price mismatches often happen when they're updating the website.

HAL is starting to re-do the fares as they prepare to end seas the day. A cruise I'm looking at no longer has the seas the day logo or the nonrefundable deposit info on the itinerary page (first page of a dummy booking). The prices on this page are the same as they were for seas the day. BUT when I choose a category to do a dummy booking (Neptune suite), the lowest price (SC) is $300 pp more (10 day cruise), whether I choose the cabin or they do. These price mismatches often happen when they're updating the website.

The price of the cruise has risen by about $250 pp. And the "limited time only" notation is gone from the booking page.

The price of the cruise has risen by about $250 pp. And the "limited time only" notation is gone from the booking page.

Like you we have a refundable deposit until April 7. The price went up about $240 pp. for us but it's only a 10 day cruise. Waiting to see the new promotion before committing.

Yes, that is another thing...

It is hardly a refundable deposit, more of a courtesy hold on a cruise that requires full pre-payment.

Sigh.....

I would almost consider their current web-site and booking practices to amount to lack of required full-disclosure.

Just not okay.

Yes, that is another thing...

It is hardly a refundable deposit, more of a courtesy hold on a cruise that requires full pre-payment.

Sigh.....

I would almost consider their current web-site and booking practices to amount to lack of required full-disclosure.

Just not okay.

No, it is a courtesy hold until April 7 when the refundable deposit has to be paid. Full payment isn't until December which is when the deposit becomes non-refundable. I've already received the HAL papers that say that. The deposit is just under $800 but refundable until penalty period in December.

I booked with no special perks. I looked today and the price for my category has gone up over $400 pp with the perk of "prepaid gratuities" starting with the next promo. Hmm...did the math...that doesn't look like a perk to me.

I booked with no special perks. I looked today and the price for my category has gone up over $400 pp with the perk of "prepaid gratuities" starting with the next promo. Hmm...did the math...that doesn't look like a perk to me.

I have seen this over and over to the point it is a joke. It would go like this...."When is a sale not a sale? Answer: when the cruiseline promotes it as a sale".

My favorite sales promotion is the View and Veranda sales in which the price is jacked up on outsides and , if you are lucky, the veranda drops by a hundred bucks. Of course, the average cruiser that doesn't continually watch prices like I do is excited at the great deal they are getting. Wow , a veranda for the price of an outside, Yay!

I am not saying you will never save with a sale, but the buyer should carefully do the math before going for it. "Free" perks often add to the overall price and you may actually be paying more bottom line for those extras.

I actually prefer to book when there is no sale because that is when I see the lowest prices. Occasionally, there will be a good on board credit deal offer after I book and I will contact my TA to get that added to my booking.

We are considering sinking the $1200. deposit on a Med. Cruise on the Nieuw Statendam, over a year out.

Would def. go with fully refundable.

Do you guys think we might benefit from the HAL promotions at all, once they come out for our sailing dates... (which would be offered next Spring and Summer)

We have a quote on an 11 day Med. cruise that is less than $4800. for the two of us, in a verandah.....

Looking at other rates, like on Princess, this seems to be really great.

ETA: I just checked pricing on similar cruise for later this year... The total looks to be almost $1000.00 more, with more limited availability.

Hhhhmmmm????

These Med cruises must really sell out?

Edited by Wishing on a star

Just went to the cruise I am following. The whole thing says "sold out"!!! What? The cruise is 18 months away!!!! Sometimes I just wonder about HAL's IT dept. Or maybe a bit price jump is in this cruise's future.

Just went to the cruise I am following. The whole thing says "sold out"!!! What? The cruise is 18 months away!!!! Sometimes I just wonder about HAL's IT dept. Or maybe a bit price jump is in this cruise's future.

I am showing the same thing on one of my already booked cruises....51 day Tales of the South Pacific. When I go to an outside agency website it shows plenty of availability. It is definitely a HAL website glitch.

Maybe they mark cruises "sold out" to stop purchases while they're reworking the prices?

Yup. You are right on the money.

Go to those other websites and try to book and you will be told no. When HAL freezes bookings, that's it, until they have it done.

I am showing the same thing on one of my already booked cruises....51 day Tales of the South Pacific. When I go to an outside agency website it shows plenty of availability. It is definitely a HAL website glitch.

This is the cruise I have a hold on. It is still showing sold out this morning.

We are in a NS on a cruise in 2019. Last Friday it dropped by $200 per person. Yesterday morning it was $300 per person more than we paid, this morning dropped by $100 so they are definitely adjusting prices.

I always consider these as promotions and not sales. IMO they are promotions with included amenities. If I would buy these amenities once on board I have the opportunity to have it prepaid- as long as it is pretty close in price at the end of the day I am happy.

We are in a NS on a cruise in 2019. Last Friday it dropped by $200 per person. Yesterday morning it was $300 per person more than we paid, this morning dropped by $100 so they are definitely adjusting prices.

I always consider these as promotions and not sales. IMO they are promotions with included amenities. If I would buy these amenities once on board I have the opportunity to have it prepaid- as long as it is pretty close in price at the end of the day I am happy.

I think that's a good approach. Price with and without the promo and choose what works for you. Too bad the website doesn't make all the options visible.

Promos used to be sales. The first time we had Explore 4, it was a lower price WITH the amenities. Next time, it was same price as before, but with the amenities. After that, the price went up to the point that I booked without the promo.