Help with travel insurance please

I've insured all my cruises over the last few years with a Nationwide policy from Insureymytrip.com. Only need it once for emergency eye surgery in Belize, but the company paid out promptly and was a pleasure to deal with. Don't care about the cancelation part too much (yes, I carry it), but the Medivac costs can run into 6 figures if something happens when out of the country. The insurance is way worth and pretty reasonable, at least to me.

I can't imagine a travel insurance policy to the Carribean would cost $4,000. Are there an awfully lot of people in the group, or perhaps you are basing your quote on the wrong amount of coverage needed (ie, reimbursable value of your trip)?

It was an 8 night New England/Canada cruise.

My parents were 87 at the time. The AGE made the difference.

While I agree that traveling anywhere without medical coverage is a bad idea (really, being in any situation where you are not medically insured is questionable), cancellation coverage is pretty much universally considered a bad investment. Unless you are in a situation where unique circumstances greatly (GREATLY) increase the probability of needing to cancel, reimbursement for the cost of a trip not taken rarely if ever works out in the investors favor over time.

Sure, people here will flood you with their stories. But remember, the plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence". Cover for medical, cover for medical transport, as those can be catastrophic expenses. Cover to get back the money you ALREADY spent? Well, you haven't actually lost anything, so it's never going to have a reliable return on investment.

i can speak from a personal experience last August when my husband had a medical emergency. We were to far out for the Helicopter ( 3 days from Halifax ), so it was felt he be taken into ST Johns being a day closer and transported off. The daughter flew in from Col and in trying to get him home, the company we had gone wanted $$$$$ up front before they would even come for him. I didn't make sure of their upfront cost and accept that mistake. We contacted our regular Insurance who ended up bringing him back to Calif ( 4300+ miles) to our Hosp and at no cost to me. We all hope we will never encounter an emergency or cancellation of our trip but it is best to have the protection and know the cost before going with anyone.

$4,000 is still too high. I went on Insuremytrip and ran a few hypothetical cruises to Canada for 87 year olds. Insurance quotes ranged from $539 to about $1,200 pp.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Just telling you what we ran into.

Also can depend on the amount of coverage. And that was for both of them.

But even at $1200 per person, that is a lot more than the RCI insurance.

We have been using USAA. It gives you a 30 from booking window from cruise date booking, and it covers pre-existing. USAA is open to vets, military and families ( extended too). Opening an account is free in USAA for the previously mentioned and the insurance is nicely priced. 8 of us are covered for 12 days for $400.

USAA has some great programs! Dad was a veteran, and I was hoping that there might be some option for us to use their services. But unfortunately there is not, because he was not already a member.

USAA has some great programs! Dad was a veteran, and I was hoping that there might be some option for us to use their services. But unfortunately there is not, because he was not already a member.

becoming a member is a 5 minute process. call them it is so easy!!! and you are a member in minutes!!!! the price quote I got for that age was $155.

becoming a member is a 5 minute process. call them it is so easy!!! and you are a member in minutes!!!! the price quote I got for that age was $155.

Did you not see, they do not qualify.

Dad did not join, so they are not eligible.

I think the point is that Dad could still join (takes 5 mins). Then they would qualify. There is no time deadline on joining.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Thank you, but Dad the veteran passed away many years ago. I have all of his military records, because I was working on Aid & Attendance for my mom. But she has passed away too. I think we are out of luck with USAA.

• 2 weeks later...
Really? In ALL circumstances?

WRONG.

The cruise I mentioned before, insurance for my parents would have been almost $4000 from the 3rd party insurers.

RCI can be cheaper than other options.

Age is the only reason to get RC. Wish they upped their limits. Medical has had a top limit of 10K and Evac limit is 2K. Hasn’t changed in 12 years and isn’t enough. Flights aren’t covered unless booked with air2Sea.

Age is the only reason to get RC. Wish they upped their limits. Medical has had a top limit of 10K and Evac limit is 2K. Hasn’t changed in 12 years and isn’t enough. Flights aren’t covered unless booked with air2Sea.

evacuation limit is $25k, yes very low if you actually need to use it....

Yes, my mother had an issue in Halifax and had to be med evaced back to DC area. $29K, but the air ambulance company accepted the $25K insurance as payment in full.

After that, I would have had them get MediJet coverage for the med evac in addition to the RCI.

Or go 3rd party.