New "trial?" MDR menus Ruby 3-31-18 sailing

land lover

Since we are from California we may not be getting off the ship at most ports on our North Coastal cruise on the Ruby. Please tell me what lunch options are there besides the buffet if the dining rooms are closed on port days? Not that I'm worried about starving! lol

Since we are from California we may not be getting off the ship at most ports on our North Coastal cruise on the Ruby. Please tell me what lunch options are there besides the buffet if the dining rooms are closed on port days? Not that I'm worried about starving! lol

The international in the piazza, the fast food joints, and room service.

The international in the piazza' date=' the fast food joints, and room service.[/quote']So that is the International Cafe on Plaza deck and the Trident Grill and Pizzeria and Ice Cream around the pool on Lido deck

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The buffet lunch & Dinner on Ruby were a lot to be desired on our cruise 3 weeks ago, even on formal night it was disappointing. I wonder if some of the buffet chefs were pulled to help with the new MDR menu items. Hopefully by your sailing, they will have more interesting choices. We generally do Anytime, but always take a peek at what the buffet has to offer and this cruise for lunch on port days the IC was our choice....

BTW...they did have BBQ choices every other day at the trident grill.....I don't think anyone mentioned that on this thread as something new on Ruby. I tried a brisket sandwich, I did not care fore it....

If I'm not mistaken, the BBQ program at the Trident Grill doesn't start until late afternoon or early evening

'

I know that twocats is from the neighborhood, but when docked in San Francisco the XBGuys are having lunch at Fog Street Diner (across the street from the berth at Pier 27) or La Mar (a 15-20 minute walk just before the Ferry Building).

If I'm not mistaken, the BBQ program at the Trident Grill doesn't start until late afternoon or early evening.

As I recall the BBQ begins nightly at 6:00 or 7:00 however I was disappointed in it.

I saw them boil beef & add a rub before broiling so it wasn’t true BBQ on my cruises.

That’s disappointing because the different nightly bread & butter was one of the things I looked forward to trying. I also like the different nightly preparations for the Princess Favorites...salmon, chicken & burger...did you try any?

The salmon from the favorites was over cooked and very dry. The only good salmon I had was lunch in the dining room first day

What's up with the shrimp cocktail? How can you make it different? I loved the original!

We just got off the Ruby on Friday the 27th. We liked the new menu. The shrimp cocktail was a little strange looking, but it was good. Everyone at our table hated!! the new bread spreads, awful is to nice a word.

We just got off the Ruby on Friday the 27th. We liked the new menu. The shrimp cocktail was a little strange looking, but it was good. Everyone at our table hated!! the new bread spreads, awful is to nice a word.

That’s disappointing...how was the nightly bread?

Do you think that some of the dissatisfaction with the new food options could be due to the galley learning how to properly prepare so many new options? And if the galley is struggling preparing the new food that could result in the slow service being reported on the Ruby?

I’m happy to see Princess creating new food options but it could take awhile for the cooks to become proficient preparing them. Hopefully things will improve to not have passengers unhappy with the preparation & service.

we've been on 7 0r 8 Princess cruises on different ships and I'm glad they are continuing to change the menus. I felt the offerings were really getting "same old", "same old". I did love the parm basket and will miss the Happy Hour as it was a fun, social time.

We always eat at Anytime Dining and have never had a problem with reservations or had to wait in in long line. However, we eat late at 8:00 p.m. so that may be the reason.

Looking forward to trying some new & updated items.

Are bread sticks still in the nightly basket? Karen

On our recent cruise (March 18 - April 1) on CB I don't recall seeing a single bread stick in MDR but we only ate in MDR 3 times or so which was a real change for us as we normally eat almost all dinners in MDR.

On our recent cruise (March 18 - April 1) on CB I don't recall seeing a single bread stick in MDR but we only ate in MDR 3 times or so which was a real change for us as we normally eat almost all dinners in MDR.

No bread sticke are you kidding me :eek: The next thing they will be limiting the amount of BUTTER on the table :rolleyes:.

Tony

What did the shrimp cocktail look like? Shouldn't it just be shrimp with cocktail sauce to dip in maybe a garnish!

I have not eaten the cocktail on a princess ship in several years, but on our sailing(the first, with the new menu) the last night I finally had to try it, simply because of it's presentation.

A square glass about 3-4 inches tall, the 3 or 4 shrimp sat on a bed of a "seafood slaw" sauce. Tasted to me like cabbage mixed with 1000 island dressing.

No bread sticks are you kidding me :eek: The next thing they will be limiting the amount of BUTTER on the table :rolleyes:.

Tony

Tony, Just off the Ruby on Friday. No bread sticks and I had to ask for butter and I got 2 small balls of butter, about the size of small ball bearing. The bread spread is absolutely TERRIBLE!! Everyone at the table said it wasn't very good. I wonder dreams up this stuff.

Tony, Just off the Ruby on Friday. No bread sticks and I had to ask for butter and I got 2 small balls of butter, about the size of small ball bearing. The bread spread is absolutely TERRIBLE!! Everyone at the table said it wasn't very good. I wonder dreams up this stuff.

If the bread spread is terrible and you asked for butter instead it might have worked better to ask for a specific number of butter balls. Of course that sort of thing becomes much more evident after the fact than before. I find one of the butter balls is sufficient for a roll. I'm sure some won't find that to be enough butter. It seems amazing that Princess would serve the new "spreads" only to have everybody who has commented on them posting extremely negative reviews. Surely somebody must like them even if only the person who came up with the idea and the recipes. There surely had to be some sort of taste test group.

Many people have already posted they enjoyed the spreads....I did, except for one....which my BIL raved about...

We had Anytime and all the servers were very good about providing as many butter balls as you wanted. In fact all our servers on Ruby were excellent....the kitchen was s l o w......

No bread sticke are you kidding me :eek: The next thing they will be limiting the amount of BUTTER on the table :rolleyes:.

Tony

Oh, they already eliminated the butter, just the spreads, which were awful. You had to ask for butter every night. Never saw breadsticks. I saved on carbs by not eating the bread.:D