New "trial?" MDR menus Ruby 3-31-18 sailing

land lover

Thanks miracle worker Carolyn.....:D even got the punctuation correct......... now about my nose......

Wish I could help you there. Have you tried going into edit your signature? If it's a picture you still have, maybe you can re-do the shot. Maybe someone who is computer savvy can offer some suggestions.

Love that your sister surprised you on the sailing! Thanks for the info by the way on the new menus. You'll have to let us know how it is on your next sailing.

here is a photo of the waffle/chicken selection offered on our sailing

dwXsRLmxORYXPXNFxTdrVz6OXTp7YlonvvPdqlKQud-uigu1m29uxxRofyQXjCLz_dsdhzew8ZZRlrMneBt21aVgX24yREkcUzYqffRWO8qAgLO-2wLt-ZV2xZ7jpZsthU_BrwzM_yRKxp0hFHnAKWfSCyJ8SGa-HFnhHXESeH5QsGcKOASMoNQTWuMzSUvbO5ANBKp4e7nsw7AcmxpOtz20KJIOp6hbpZLYtawKo6hJAvJ3y0qFS6dPYnOZ4qjyfAzsYC-kMJahvBwG7TeHd1s0V3NcplF62-4cvSgGAvF35pLHbj4nxtJfRBCNTDZYGWtMaZI1HgMzFhVrpPVhfGy72l6KCcQ0A9b32oV39hZyIulCz5McdFQCsGrhRBof9GWjzCWcVCzV_1qMOnctZclLkHfZAHU85nftd_iRJpSyko4plf4jf5MXHStSTJrYayMrjkcep09XXdVLmEO7pCH7SeYSPzX9h6ZQcUvF3do-FfDtUWlFBHbFquOn2fPhXqcaU2bmCp_Lt1boM1GSlcug4zk1IFEN2IwQoGdlyX8mgYJMj_MuFdIBhSuBjMe6At0QNnclRwSeGkxrjhbc_Kz0SXXyEZCAtIM7TQs=w1299-h974-no

the waffle is the same round one served in the buffets and at the suite breakfast. If u look closely u can see it is hiding under the fries at the top.

Can't see the picture.....:confused::confused::confused:

Bob

Wish I could help you there. Have you tried going into edit your signature? If it's a picture you still have, maybe you can re-do the shot. Maybe someone who is computer savvy can offer some suggestions.

Love that your sister surprised you on the sailing! Thanks for the info by the way on the new menus. You'll have to let us know how it is on your next sailing.

I photographed the marine iguana so I do have the original, just was hoping there would be an easier way.....

I am still hoping someone comes up with the menus....

Thanks again....

Sometimes I cannot see some photos posted either......but this one shows clearly to me, I copied it from my goggle photo file.

Any suggestions on how I should post it another way?

As it is worth seeing...........

If it shared from google, it could be it does not have the right "share" atribute.

I was also on this cruise, and I thought the new menu items were mostly excellent. We felt the new menu items were a big improvement over what we have felt were recent declines in food. My husband loved the new shrimp cocktail, and we saw many, many, people ordering it night after night; some ordering two, so I think a lot of people liked it. My husband said the salmon seemed to be a better cut - thicker, and therefore not as dry after cooking.

The first night Texas style chili was replaced with a new turkey chili; I liked the old style better, though the new turkey chili was also good. Eggplant parmesan on Italian night was similar but different; my husband preferred the new version, I preferred the older version, but it was still very good. Yes, I agree that pot of creme dessert was delicious; very nice flavor and very creamy. New different dinner rolls each night, all were excellent. The spreads were also all very good, although the scoop they gave you was on the small side for four rolls. There were no breadsticks on any of the six nights we ate in the dining room, something we missed.

French onion soup has always been my favorite, and it seems over the last few years it has really declined, almost to the point of, "where's the cheese?" Well, that is now much improved. Maybe not quite back to the days of a nice thick slice of cheese melted over the top of the cup, but definitely a lot more cheese back on the soup. That was a big improvement, almost back to the original onion soup I loved so much.

As for reading the menu, yes, the first night it seemed a bit hard to read. But then I figured it out. There was a thin blue line between offerings. Then, there was a thick blue line between the items that changed every night and the always available items. They listed some wines that paired well with some of the entrees, so that was additional reading on the menus. I was unhappy to see extra charge items on the dinner menu. There were three for $19 and one for $29. I think they were items that came from the Specialty restaurants, so I guess the thinking was that if one person wanted an item from the Specialty restaurant, the others in their party did not have to go to the Specialty restaurant, because you could get a few of those items in the main dining room for the extra charge. I thought the cost of the extra charge items was high.

No one has mentioned that the Anytime Dining Room opened at 4:30 each evening, something I never saw on other ships, so I think that was new; Anytime Dining always opened at 5:30 on the ships I have been on. If they could have gotten the food out a little faster, it might have helped alleviate the long lines that have been forming outside the Anytime Dining Room in the past few years. Unfortunately, as others have said, the food was very slow to come out, I guess because of all the new recipes.

I give Princess a lot of credit for trying to add new items, and prepare older items in a new way. Food is very personal, everyone has different opinions, so they will never please everyone; case in point, I liked the old eggplant parm better, my husband liked the new better. But on the whole, we felt it was a big effort on their part, and most of the items were very successful. They do want feedback, which tells me they care what we think. We had a note delivered to our stateroom with a website address asking us fill out a survey about the new menus. Bravo to Princess for trying to make some improvements to their menu!

THANK YOU for the great post. My sister & I board for a 10 Day Baja Peninsula & Sea of Cortez run on the Ruby on Saturday. Glad to have the menu changes planted in my head. Will make sure I read carefully. Always trying to "upcharge" for something tho......We have set dining at 5:30 (which is too darn early for me), but we could not get late dining, and I am sick to death of the anytime lines. Our last 3 or 4 cruises we did anytime and getting a reservation was challenging at best.

I will TRY to get pictures of the menus each day and post them thru a link to my FLICKR photo's when I get back. (Wait until after April 30th, as I will be doing some additional travel on debarkation).

Question for Platinum and Elite - are they still doing the cocktail party nightly? Where? (SKYWALKERS I hope. )

Thanks for starting this thread. Will check back in AFTER the cruise.

THANK YOU for the great post. My sister & I board for a 10 Day Baja Peninsula & Sea of Cortez run on the Ruby on Saturday. Glad to have the menu changes planted in my head. Will make sure I read carefully. Always trying to "upcharge" for something tho......We have set dining at 5:30 (which is too darn early for me), but we could not get late dining, and I am sick to death of the anytime lines. Our last 3 or 4 cruises we did anytime and getting a reservation was challenging at best.

I will TRY to get pictures of the menus each day and post them thru a link to my FLICKR photo's when I get back. (Wait until after April 30th, as I will be doing some additional travel on debarkation).

Question for Platinum and Elite - are they still doing the cocktail party nightly? Where? (SKYWALKERS I hope. )

Thanks for starting this thread. Will check back in AFTER the cruise.

Yes, they are still doing Skywalkers same tidbits, wine tasting for Elite and the Captain's Party. We did not make it to any of them though. Thanks for taking the photos, I hope the menus are similar, if not the same. If you are in traditional dining you'll probably have more time to ask your server about the changes.

BTW.....Maybe you can change to late seating once on the ship.

Have a wonderful cruise...hope your weather will be as pleasant as ours.

L:Dri

There you are with your sense of humor again.......:D

You can tease about the "sense of humor" but in essence, what was said is true. The hamburger just doesn't seem a proper fit for the MDR, except maybe on the kids menu. I know some think the food is not important on a cruise, but it was definitely part of a nice cruise "experience" for me. A hamburger is fine on the deck for lunch, but I dont think much of that choice for dinner in the dining room. Especially when you consider the choices it is replacing.

You can tease about the "sense of humor" but in essence, what was said is true. The hamburger just doesn't seem a proper fit for the MDR, except maybe on the kids menu. I know some think the food is not important on a cruise, but it was definitely part of a nice cruise "experience" for me. A hamburger is fine on the deck for lunch, but I don't think much of that choice for dinner in the dining room. Especially when you consider the choices it is replacing.

I love the food experience on a cruise, tasting things I might otherwise not encounter at home. My hubby is bored by the whole business and would much rather have a hamburger or a steak and potatoes. I leave him at home and travel with my sister instead! By our waistlines, you can tell we LOVE food! Seriously, sense of humor aside, it certainly takes it out of the elegant dining category when you start serving up fried chicken and burgers & fries, and other food that you use your fingers to eat instead of a knife & fork. :confused:Paper plates & paper napkins next in the MDR?? :eek:

THANK YOU for the great post. My sister & I board for a 10 Day Baja Peninsula & Sea of Cortez run on the Ruby on Saturday. Glad to have the menu changes planted in my head.

We're with ya Saturday Mary.

New menus sounds a bit rough but yet smooth on the edges. I'm excited to see some changes an most often the tally with notice will try and accommodate some past favorites

Not big on the upsale items, tacky is the word that comes to mind. Head to the overpriced Speciality venues for a semi-crapy meal for that please.

All and all, I'm ready for some changes...

See ya and Anne Saturday at the sailaway M&G, bring your beads...

We're with ya Saturday Mary.

New menus sounds a bit rough but yet smooth on the edges. I'm excited to see some changes an most often the tally with notice will try and accommodate some past favorites

Not big on the upsale items, tacky is the word that comes to mind. Head to the overpriced Speciality venues for a semi-crapy meal for that please.

All and all, I'm ready for some changes...

See ya and Anne Saturday at the sailaway M&G, bring your beads...

Beads are packed! We will see you on-board. Maybe between those of us on this next sailing we can get some decent photo's of the menu's to share on our return, along with a bit of a review!

Beads are packed! We will see you on-board. Maybe between those of us on this next sailing we can get some decent photo's of the menu's to share on our return, along with a bit of a review!

I'm on it too Mary, try and snap some menu pic's for this thread...

Beads are out but haven't started packing yet, guess I'd better get with it, maybe tomorrow.

See ya Saturday...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6gnUrp7uZIm2NPykEDjrVeD7qFRGClUatK5b_IvBwkASMBv_GZA

here is a photo of the waffle/chicken selection offered on our sailing

dwXsRLmxORYXPXNFxTdrVz6OXTp7YlonvvPdqlKQud-uigu1m29uxxRofyQXjCLz_dsdhzew8ZZRlrMneBt21aVgX24yREkcUzYqffRWO8qAgLO-2wLt-ZV2xZ7jpZsthU_BrwzM_yRKxp0hFHnAKWfSCyJ8SGa-HFnhHXESeH5QsGcKOASMoNQTWuMzSUvbO5ANBKp4e7nsw7AcmxpOtz20KJIOp6hbpZLYtawKo6hJAvJ3y0qFS6dPYnOZ4qjyfAzsYC-kMJahvBwG7TeHd1s0V3NcplF62-4cvSgGAvF35pLHbj4nxtJfRBCNTDZYGWtMaZI1HgMzFhVrpPVhfGy72l6KCcQ0A9b32oV39hZyIulCz5McdFQCsGrhRBof9GWjzCWcVCzV_1qMOnctZclLkHfZAHU85nftd_iRJpSyko4plf4jf5MXHStSTJrYayMrjkcep09XXdVLmEO7pCH7SeYSPzX9h6ZQcUvF3do-FfDtUWlFBHbFquOn2fPhXqcaU2bmCp_Lt1boM1GSlcug4zk1IFEN2IwQoGdlyX8mgYJMj_MuFdIBhSuBjMe6At0QNnclRwSeGkxrjhbc_Kz0SXXyEZCAtIM7TQs=w1299-h974-no

the waffle is the same round one served in the buffets and at the suite breakfast. If u look closely u can see it is hiding under the fries at the top.

I can't see the photo :-(. Do you think the waffles were leftover from breakfast? Sounds gross.

So some posters can see the photo, correct? Cuz i can.

Hoping those on the Ruby's Mexican Riviera arriving home tomorrow will post opinions and photos.....

I could initially but currently can not.

So some posters can see the photo, correct? Cuz i can.

Hoping those on the Ruby's Mexican Riviera arriving home tomorrow will post opinions and photos.....

You might be able to see it because it is your photo and you are signed on to the photo service.

Can you see it if you are not on your own computer?

We just got off the Ruby today, and for the most part we loved the menus (not much comparison though - first time on Princess). The dining room staff we talked with mentioned that the previous week (CA coastal) was bad/rough, but for us, meal times went very smoothly! We had maybe 2-3 entrees that were good, not fantastic, but most were excellent. And that’s with ordering 2-4 entrees each night to try things! We took pictures of most of the menus that I’ll post below and try to answer any questions. We were surprised to see some type of steak on the menu every night, non-up charge ones, in addition to the hamburger. We also took pics of our meals that I can post on request.

Edited by Stikman