Am I cutting it too close between docking and flying?

joebarfly

Hi All! I'm sailing on the NCL Getaway for the western Caribbean trip on 4/22/18 returning on 4/29/18. This is a company sponsored trip and I just realized they have me on a noon flight out of Miami on the last day. So the ship docks at 8am and things I'm reading seem to indicate that I'm cutting it kind of close.

What are your thoughts? I did call NCL and all they could tell me was that I as soon as I get on the ship I should register for 'easy walkoff'' (requires you to handle all your luggage yourself).

Has anyone been in this situation before? Should I take a chance or move my flight. Note that I am a minimalist traveler so will be able to carry all my luggage.

Appreciate any insight and thanks in advance.

Joe

So, I can only speak from my own single experience de-boarding in Miami from and NCL ship. In February I was on the Escape. I picked the last possible disembark time available to me (9:45), because my flight wasn't until 3:30 pm. I still got to the airport by 10:30. I would think that had I picked an earlier time to de-board, I would have gotten to the airport much earlier.

If you do walk-off (carry your own luggage) you should have plenty of time. If you are on one of the 1st third of the groups to disembark (non-walk off) you should still be in good shape. Be forwarned - Miami airport is a zoo around 10am-noon!

Hi All! I'm sailing on the NCL Getaway for the western Caribbean trip on 4/22/18 returning on 4/29/18. This is a company sponsored trip and I just realized they have me on a noon flight out of Miami on the last day. So the ship docks at 8am and things I'm reading seem to indicate that I'm cutting it kind of close.

What are your thoughts? I did call NCL and all they could tell me was that I as soon as I get on the ship I should register for 'easy walkoff'' (requires you to handle all your luggage yourself).

Has anyone been in this situation before? Should I take a chance or move my flight. Note that I am a minimalist traveler so will be able to carry all my luggage.

Joe

We are on this cruise as well!! Only 12 days to go. Did you sign up for the meet and mingle or the pub crawl?

Joe

Noon is normally fine. Even without walking off early you will be at the airport in plenty of time for that flight.

We are on this cruise as well!! Only 12 days to go. Did you sign up for the meet and mingle or the pub crawl?

We did not yet. Our group has our own meet and greet at 5:30pm the first day. I enjoy meeting new people on all the trips I take so I'll be sure to participate in this group also.

As others are saying... it's normally fine...

I never book flights before 2pm because of past experiences, specifically in Miami. I've spent years on ships and I'd say once every couple months in Miami there are issues with customs or arrivals. Maybe CBP is short staffed, maybe there is a larger amount of non-americans onboard than normal, maybe another ship unexpectedly had to stay in port for an emergency and there's a delay for a berth, maybe the crew have to go through a full immigration inspection first, maybe there is a major medical emergency and a guest has to be disembarked to an ambulance first delaying the whole process. Things happen... so it's risky, but likely OK.

Joe

We have made a 930 flight.

We have made a 930 flight.

Docked in Miami on the Escape last Saturday. Disembarked, called Uber and we were at FLL by 8:02 AM. We had an 11:00 AM flight and I was a bit nervous but no problems.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Joe

No problem at all. We are typically on 10:30-11:00 flights.

Our flight on our upcoming cruise is at 11:10.

Joe

Joe, at noon flight should be just fine. We always go by the rule, no flights before noon. We have done 11am flights and been ok. That being said, 11am is still to early just in case something does delay debarkation, but noon isn't likely going to be a problem.

Joe

We have been on 15 cruises and we book the earliest flight before noon that we can and it has never been a problem; in fact, we could probably have booked flights as early as 11am and still made it with the exception of a cruise out of Tampa where fog delayed our ship arriving by more than an hour and this is not unusual for Tampa.

We do two things that may help make the difference in timing; we always take a cab to and from the port instead of waiting for NCL to fill a hot crowded bus for the trip to the terminal, and, prior to getting our Platinum status, we always did the walk off.