New England/Canada cruises

CRu1853!!

We took this cruise last September round trip from NYC to Quebec City on the Zuiderdam. It was 20 days and it was wonderful. There wasn’t much autumn color (too early) but there were many mild sunny days. I’m watching it right now, waiting for the price to come down so we can take it again this September. If 20 days is too long for you, you can do one 10 day segment. We live right outside of NYC and we can take the bus to the port so it really works for us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We sailed Zuiderdam from Quebec to New York in September. Quebec city is a beautiful old walled city - much more interesting than Montreal. Even if the ship stays in port overnight, you should fly up a day or so early and spend at least one night in a hotel in the old city - definitely worth the slightly higher price than modern ones outside the walls.

I would recommend September - the weather is ideal for seeing the coastal towns on the itinerary, and you might get some autumn color.

We did the longer Veendam Montreal to Fort Lauderdale end of the season cruise for the Fall colors and it was fabulous. Every stop was a hit, the colors were brilliant and the weather could not have been better. Plus getting the real deal poutine in Quebec at Chez Ashton, we would do it again in a second. http://chezashton.ca

Spring in New England tends to be cold and wet, and lasts until close to Memorial Day. Not the best time to enjoy the itinerary.

Summer gets nicer, but the end of July and August can be very humid.

By September we have sunny, warm days, and comfortable nights. Sure there are rainy days, but for the most part this is the best time of year---at least to tour here. It's great through the first week of October, or so, with variation from the northern part of the itinerary to the southern.

I chose a July 7th sailing. We arrive in Boston on July 4th! I would much prefer a warm vacation, still remember being chilly in Alaska in July, and just didn’t enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Add me to the list of people who've done this cruise on the Zuiderdam in September. Our cruise was at the beginning of September, so too early for fall color, but we certainly saw every shade of green! Lovely landscape. Only one slightly rainy day and very comfortable temperatures for the duration.

I chose a July 7th sailing. We arrive in Boston on July 4th! I would much prefer a warm vacation, still remember being chilly in Alaska in July, and just didn’t enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry, but don't count on the weather being warm in Boston. Two years ago we disembarked the Veendam in Boston on July 9. It was cold, wet and rainy with the temperature around 60 degrees for the 2 days we were there. On the other hand, when we cruised in Alaska a few years prior it was a sunny, balmy, 70 degrees the entire cruise.

As a life-long resident of the northeast I would never choose to cruise in the Atlantic in either August or September. Especially late August through mid-September which is prime hurricane season. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As a life-long resident of the northeast I would never choose to cruise in the Atlantic in either August or September. Especially late August through mid-September which is prime hurricane season. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As a life-long resident of the Northeast (New York, Massachussets and Connecticut) I would never make long range plans based on the weather. Perhaps once in three years (a credible average) a hurricane might impact one part of the area for perhaps two days. Two days in a 30 day span over a three year period means 1 chance in 45 that somewhere, possibly hundreds of miles away, might be more or less seriously impacted.

That chance is not something to base decisions upon --- unless you also avoid California all the time due to earthquake, brush fire and mud slide perils.

And, of course, you should NEVER plan on flying from the Northeast to anywhere warm between early November and early April.

In 2013 I did a fall repositioning trip from Quebec City to Ft. Lauderdale, on the Eurodam. The temps in most ports were in the low 60's and some days we had some rain and lots of fog, along with cooler temperatures. The autumn leaves were pretty, but slightly past their turn dates. Still, overall it was a terrific cruise.

I'm doing a similar 14-day itinerary next month - one of the first trips of the year, I believe. On the Veendam. It includes 3 days in Bermuda. I don't know what to expect, weather-wise, but will take whatever comes my way. I think it will be interesting to compare spring versus fall trips.

For me, the opportunity to be on a HAL ship, cruising anywhere, is always lovely. The weather will be what it will be. No predicting Mother Nature!!

My opinion; both subjective and objective:

First; the subjective: My lifelong residence in New England has allowed us to drive by automobile within a day to Montreal, Portland, Halifax, and our two favorites, Boston and Quebec City. I will drive to any of these locations at anytime of the year as long as I have studded snow tires in the winter. I will cruise to any of these locations only in the months of June, July, August or September. With the auto, I can reposition when the weather is poor. On a cruise ship. I am stuck.

Objective analysis: We have a favorite saying: "If you don't like the weather, wait a minute". But that only applies to summer season. Been on the coast of Maine working in late May when the temp did not go above 50 F and rain most days for two weeks. You can get into weather patterns that remain in place for days during the "shoulder season".

Now my advice: Visit us anytime; we would love to see you. :)

This is an interesting thread. We are considering a New England cruise too, but we want to end in Boston. Is HAL the best or only cruise line for that?

Sent from my SM-J727U using Forums mobile app

Can't say if HAL is the best cruise line out of Boston, but we are very happy with HAL.

The New England/Canada Coast cruise we took out of Boston, 2014, and return on the HAL Veendam was great. Boston is a fine cruise port as well as a good place to visit. Both the Veendam and Masdam cruise west on the St. Lawrence to Montreal. Larger ships like the Zuiderdam, RT NY, must stop at Quebec City. My understanding is that the Veendam will be deployed to Europe next year, 2019.

Another fine cruise is on the Veendam, Boston to Bermuda and return, small enough to dock in Hamilton. Book now, not scheduled for 2019 yet.

Attached web links will get you to the Boston Terminal and a list of visiting ships:

https://www.boston-discovery-guide.com/black-falcon-cruise-terminal.html

And the ships:

https://www.boston-discovery-guide.com/cruises-departing-from-boston.html

Edited by naskeag
Correct web link.

Not sure what your itinerary is, we took a cruise (Carnival) last Sept, too early for the fall colours which was disappointing, I think these are mid Oct? I'm sure that's changeable year to year too. Loved Portland, Boston, NY, Halifax and St Johns were both rainy although they were nice to visit too.

Not sure what your itinerary is, we took a cruise (Carnival) last Sept, too early for the fall colours which was disappointing, I think these are mid Oct? I'm sure that's changeable year to year too. Loved Portland, Boston, NY, Halifax and St Johns were both rainy although they were nice to visit too.

Fall colors times are very difficult to predict. One year a good wind storm came through a week before our cruise in mid-Oct. which blew down most of the leaves.