$3.00 difference

bbrule7

I don’t think it’s right to charge for each guest in a stateroom when one is three years old. I would rather delete the three year olds daily charge, and give extra to the staff directly that helped with him, such as our room steward and the kids club area. That seems more appropriate.

But why should I pay for a three year olds charges that aren’t really being used? Or maybe I’m wrong? I’m interested.

Obviously there are exceptions, but I suspect that stewards need to do a lot more window fingerprint/smudge/spills cleanup and vacuuming in rooms that have 3 year olds in them than 10 year olds. In the dining rooms fetching special chairs, boosters, cleanup, etc.

Why should the staff be stuffed because you spent too much on vacation? Would you go out for an expensive dinner and tip 10% because you spent too much on the meal? I spend about $700 in DSC for two steerage balconies, plus tip other staff, such as the steward, bartenders, kids club staff...It’s part of the cost of cruising. Our first NCL cruise was about 15 years ago, no envelopes back then either, just DSC.

I would never, I mean never, expect the cruise staff to be stuffed. Only the passengers. :')

I think you meant stiffed. And I don’t consider it stiffing them to descrease one person’s daily service charge by a small amount, and then tip over generously to others that helped. How you came up with stiffing anyone is beyond me.

Second, I’ve been cruising for 40 years. 15 years ago seems like yesterday to me, so whatever. In general, this is new to the cruise industry.

Also, If you tip that much much, or that little, for ‘steerage balconies’, good for you. Be my guest. You tip what you see fit and I will tip what I see fit.

And ftr, I typically tip about 25% or more at restaurants because I used to work in one. But I wouldn’t come on here judging others for not leaving as much. It’s not my business what others leave. Just like it’s not the judgey pants business here, even though I probably end up tipping more than most here. And will probably do so on this cruise, even if I choose to reapportion.

Obviously there are exceptions, but I suspect that stewards need to do a lot more window fingerprint/smudge/spills cleanup and vacuuming in rooms that have 3 year olds in them than 10 year olds. In the dining rooms fetching special chairs, boosters, cleanup, etc.

Well my son was messier at two than three, so maybe you should call ncl and clue them in.

Anyways, you made my point. The reapportionment would be allocated to those that had extra work specifically because of my son...ie, the steward and butler.

Oh wait, I already said that. Hmmmm, maybe reading skills?

The automatic gratuity is $14.50 USD, or $17.50 USD for suite guests, applied to each guest’s SeaPass account on a daily basis - Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (RCCL).

LINK

I’ve never cruised with rccl. Would love to see a gratuity cost comparison though. That would be interesting.

Ageeed. Kids should be charged more DSC compared to adults.

I found this, although it was from a year ago. https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2017/04/03/cruise-ship-gratuities-service-charges/99820420/

But, yea. It looks like Oceania, rccl, and ncl are the three highest. And some have done away with tipping.

Ncl is pretty high comparatively. And also charges more for their drink fees. I don’t think it’s right. They ARE getting away with paying their employees less. It makes me think less of their cruise line.

Then I frankly have more respect for a crystal cruise where you are paying the same for a suite as ncl, maybe less who knows, and has no tipping. That means they actually pay their employees. Then you can give extra, which I would do.

If you can afford a suite, I wouldn’t think an extra $6 for 2 or $42 a week would be such an issue

Not since NCL became the "Priceline of Cruises" and some people who would never book a suite outright, bid on them, thinking that is their only cost to move up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I honestly don’t mind tipping, if the restaurants paid fair wages, prices would go up. Dd21 waitresses to pay for room and board at college, gets paid $2.13 an hour. She comes out ahead of minimum wages because she does a great job. Here in the US, tipping at restaurants is for doing A job, the customer decides if it was good or not and can adjust the tip accordingly.

And again, this is a US perspective. Other countries pay their workers a fare wage. Japan doesn't tip, and meals there are often less expensive than here in the US. Hotel fees are about the same, although with smaller rooms. Again, higher quality of service because it is their custom, and all with a culture that views tipping negatively.

Updated March 22, 2018

Alaskan Dream Cruises

Daily gratuity charge: None

Note: Gratuities for crew are not included in the fare and are at the discretion of travelers. Company policy.

Additional charges: None

Azamara Club Cruises

Note: Gratuities for crew including bar staff are included in the fare. Company policy.

Additional charges: An 18% gratuity is added to bills for spa services.

Carnival Cruise Line

Daily gratuity charge: $12.95

Note: Passengers in suites pay $13.95. No gratuities are collected for passengers under the age of 2. Company policy.

Additional charges: A 15% gratuity is added to bar bills.

See also: Carnival raises gratuity charge

Celebrity Cruises

Daily gratuity charge: $14.50

Note: Passengers in Concierge Class and AquaClass cabins pay $15; passengers in suites, $18. Company policy.

Additional charges: An 18% gratuity is added to bar bills.

See also: Celebrity Cruises hikes service charge (again!)

Celestyal Cruises

Note: Gratuities for crew and bar staff are included in the fare. Company policy.

Costa Cruises

Daily gratuity charge: $12.50

Note: For ships operating in U.S. dollars; ships operating in euro have a 10 euro charge. On the Costa Serena, Costa Atlantica, Costa Victoria, Costa Fortuna and Costa neoRomantica, the charge is $13.50 for most cabins and $16.50 for suites. No gratuities are collected for passengers under age of 4. Children (ages 4 to 14) pay 50% of the adult rate. Company policy.

Crystal Cruises

Note: Gratuities for crew including bar staff are included in the fare. Company policy.

Cunard Line

Daily gratuity charge: $11.50

Note: Passengers in Grill Class cabins pay $13.50. Company policy.

Disney Cruise Line

Daily gratuity charge: $12

Note: Company policy.

Additional charges: A 15% gratuity is added to bar bills; an 18% charge is added to bills for spa services.

Holland America Line

Daily gratuity charge: $13.50

Note: Passengers in suites pay $15. Company policy.

See also: Holland America plans hefty hike to gratuity charges

Lindblad Expeditions

Note: Gratuities for crew are included in the fare for passengers on the National Geographic Explorer and National Geographic Orion but not other ships. Company policy.

MSC Cruises

Note: For Caribbean cruises and some grand voyages. Gratuity charges vary for MSC's other itineraries. Children pay half the adult rate.

Norwegian Cruise Line

Note: Passengers in suites pay $17.50. Passengers on the line's two all-inclusive ships, Norwegian Sky and Norwegian Sun, pay higher rates ($19.99 for standard cabins; $22.99 for suites). Company policy.

Additional charges: An 18% gratuity is added to bar bills, the bills at extra-charge specialty restaurants and for services at ship spas.

See also: Norwegian joins Celebrity Cruises, Royal Caribbean in hiking service charges

Oceania Cruises

Daily gratuity charge: $16

Note: Passengers staying in top suites with butler service pay $23. Company policy.

Additional charges: An 18% gratuity is added to bar bills, the bill for extra-charge eatery La Reserve and for services at ship spas.

Paul Gauguin Cruises

Ponant Cruises

Note: Gratuities for crew are not included in the fare. Ponant says tipping is "entirely up to you, and you are under no obligation" to tip. Passengers who want to leave a gratuity for crew are encouraged to put it in an urn at the Reception desk at the end of the voyage. Company policy.

Princess Cruises

Notes: Passengers in mini-suites and suites pay $14.50 and $15.50, respectively. Company policy.

See also: Princess raises amount of suggested gratuities

Regent Seven Seas Cruises

Royal Caribbean

Note: Passengers staying in suites pay $17.50

Additional charges: An 18% gratuity is added to bar bills as well as services at ship spas and salons. Company policy.

See also: Royal Caribbean hikes gratuity fees

Seabourn Cruise Line

SeaDream Yacht Club

Silversea Cruises

Star Clippers

Note: Gratuities for the crew are not included in the fare. Star Clippers suggests passengers leave crew a gratuity of $10 per day.

UnCruise Adventures

Note: Gratuities for crew are not included in the fare. UnCruise says gratuities "are a personal matter and are entirely at the discretion of the traveler." Company policy.

Viking Ocean Cruises

Daily gratuity charge: $15

Updated March 22, 2018

Alaskan Dream Cruises

Note: Gratuities for crew are not included in the fare and are at the discretion of travelers. Company policy.

Azamara Club Cruises

Carnival Cruise Line

Daily gratuity charge: $12.95

Note: Passengers in suites pay $13.95. No gratuities are collected for passengers under the age of 2. Company policy.

See also: Carnival raises gratuity charge

Celebrity Cruises

Note: Passengers in Concierge Class and AquaClass cabins pay $15; passengers in suites, $18. Company policy.

Additional charges: An 18% gratuity is added to bar bills.

See also: Celebrity Cruises hikes service charge (again!)

Celestyal Cruises

Note: Gratuities for crew and bar staff are included in the fare. Company policy.

Costa Cruises

Note: For ships operating in U.S. dollars; ships operating in euro have a 10 euro charge. On the Costa Serena, Costa Atlantica, Costa Victoria, Costa Fortuna and Costa neoRomantica, the charge is $13.50 for most cabins and $16.50 for suites. No gratuities are collected for passengers under age of 4. Children (ages 4 to 14) pay 50% of the adult rate. Company policy.

Crystal Cruises

Cunard Line

Daily gratuity charge: $11.50

Note: Passengers in Grill Class cabins pay $13.50. Company policy.

Disney Cruise Line

Daily gratuity charge: $12

Additional charges: A 15% gratuity is added to bar bills; an 18% charge is added to bills for spa services.

Holland America Line

Note: Passengers in suites pay $15. Company policy.

See also: Holland America plans hefty hike to gratuity charges

Lindblad Expeditions

Note: Gratuities for crew are included in the fare for passengers on the National Geographic Explorer and National Geographic Orion but not other ships. Company policy.

MSC Cruises

Note: For Caribbean cruises and some grand voyages. Gratuity charges vary for MSC's other itineraries. Children pay half the adult rate.

Norwegian Cruise Line

Note: Passengers in suites pay $17.50. Passengers on the line's two all-inclusive ships, Norwegian Sky and Norwegian Sun, pay higher rates ($19.99 for standard cabins; $22.99 for suites). Company policy.

Additional charges: An 18% gratuity is added to bar bills, the bills at extra-charge specialty restaurants and for services at ship spas.

See also: Norwegian joins Celebrity Cruises, Royal Caribbean in hiking service charges

Oceania Cruises

Daily gratuity charge: $16

Note: Passengers staying in top suites with butler service pay $23. Company policy.

Additional charges: An 18% gratuity is added to bar bills, the bill for extra-charge eatery La Reserve and for services at ship spas.

Paul Gauguin Cruises

Ponant Cruises

Note: Gratuities for crew are not included in the fare. Ponant says tipping is "entirely up to you, and you are under no obligation" to tip. Passengers who want to leave a gratuity for crew are encouraged to put it in an urn at the Reception desk at the end of the voyage. Company policy.

Princess Cruises

Notes: Passengers in mini-suites and suites pay $14.50 and $15.50, respectively. Company policy.

See also: Princess raises amount of suggested gratuities

Regent Seven Seas Cruises

Royal Caribbean

Note: Passengers staying in suites pay $17.50

Additional charges: An 18% gratuity is added to bar bills as well as services at ship spas and salons. Company policy.

See also: Royal Caribbean hikes gratuity fees

Seabourn Cruise Line

SeaDream Yacht Club

Silversea Cruises

Star Clippers

Note: Gratuities for the crew are not included in the fare. Star Clippers suggests passengers leave crew a gratuity of $10 per day.

UnCruise Adventures

Note: Gratuities for crew are not included in the fare. UnCruise says gratuities "are a personal matter and are entirely at the discretion of the traveler." Company policy.

Viking Ocean Cruises

Daily gratuity charge: $15

Thank you!

So yea, looks like they rccl and ncl are tied for highest. Not sure I can count Oceania since it looks like they are more, but they are including the butlers fees, whereas ncl does not.

I found this, although it was from a year ago. https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2017/04/03/cruise-ship-gratuities-service-charges/99820420/

But, yea. It looks like Oceania, rccl, and ncl are the three highest. And some have done away with tipping.

Ncl is pretty high comparatively. And also charges more for their drink fees. I don’t think it’s right. They ARE getting away with paying their employees less. It makes me think less of their cruise line.

Then I frankly have more respect for a crystal cruise where you are paying the same for a suite as ncl, maybe less who knows, and has no tipping. That means they actually pay their employees. Then you can give extra, which I would do.

Lol, Crystal suites less than NCL suites! NCL has some of the least expensive suites in cruising!

Lol, Crystal suites less than NCL suites! NCL has some of the least expensive suites in cruising!

My travel agent, in cost comparison with specials, put them as even for a full price haven. Maybe full price on both. Idk

I did want to state, I did learn something new in this thread. I did not know servers anywhere in the US could make less than minimum wage and depend on tips. This is good to know.

In California, all wait staff is required to be paid the minimum wage. All tips are on top of that.

To many posters are missing a very important point here.

Mainline cruise companies why not just make the daily service fee mandatory?

Why do they all have a way that guest can remove them?

This is very easy to do, "All passengers are subject to a additional daily charge of x dollars"

The reason you can remove them is they are calling these fees guest gratuities and handling them that way in account, which also allows them to reduce and take fees from these charges, to charged all cost against these fees. So if a dollar goes in after creative accounting 75, 50, 25 cents comes out.

They will not make mandatory because they want to play on the kindness of passengers and keep this money off the company income. They do not want to show higher pay rates for staff they want to use the system to keep the cost as low as they can. It is a fraud against the guest and the crew in part because they do not ever say how this money is divided.

Many here think I am anti daily gratuity fees out of cheapness.... sorry not the case.... I do not like or want to be part of a system that hurts people..... the daily gratuity service charge is in fact hurting the very people most guest want to help.

It is the responsibility of the to fairly pay the staffs, these polices will go the same way as companies stores and company factory towns went in America. The cruise lines do this because every extra dollar they can take of the top is millions in added profits. The CEO of NCL said a few years ago every dollar he can save in costs results in 15 million dollars profit.

If you really care about crews you would remove these fees and tip as you believe correct. If more passengers did this the system would change.

If you really care about crews you would remove these fees and tip as you believe correct. If more passengers did this the system would change.

"Change" like Premium All Inclusive in the UK?

Do you actually believe that any change that NCL would make would result in the employees making more? More importantly, where do you think that the more money will come from?

You plan of "corporate will get less...staff will get more..." is a fantasy. If everyone removed the DSC, NCL will just increase fares by more than the current DSC....they've done it before, they will do it again.

To many posters are missing a very important point here.

Mainline cruise companies why not just make the daily service fee mandatory?

Why do they all have a way that guest can remove them?

This is very easy to do, "All passengers are subject to a additional daily charge of x dollars"

The reason you can remove them is they are calling these fees guest gratuities and handling them that way in account, which also allows them to reduce and take fees from these charges, to charged all cost against these fees. So if a dollar goes in after creative accounting 75, 50, 25 cents comes out.

They will not make mandatory because they want to play on the kindness of passengers and keep this money off the company income. They do not want to show higher pay rates for staff they want to use the system to keep the cost as low as they can. It is a fraud against the guest and the crew in part because they do not ever say how this money is divided.

Many here think I am anti daily gratuity fees out of cheapness.... sorry not the case.... I do not like or want to be part of a system that hurts people..... the daily gratuity service charge is in fact hurting the very people most guest want to help.

It is the responsibility of the to fairly pay the staffs, these polices will go the same way as companies stores and company factory towns went in America. The cruise lines do this because every extra dollar they can take of the top is millions in added profits. The CEO of NCL said a few years ago every dollar he can save in costs results in 15 million dollars profit.

Who remembers whether Jim Jones said is was a refreshing grape flavor or a delicious cherry flavor?

"Change" like Premium All Inclusive in the UK?

Do you actually believe that any change that NCL would make would result in the employees making more? More importantly, where do you think that the more money will come from?

You plan of "corporate will get less...staff will get more..." is a fantasy. If everyone removed the DSC, NCL will just increase fares by more than the current DSC....they've done it before, they will do it again.

And that is your opinion which you are entitled to have and express if you believe what I have said is wrong don't follow it.

If you want to talk about fair what is the reason for a suit passenger to pay a larger service fee they already paid more for the fare.?

When I fly business class the airline does not want a higher service fee because my food and drink is upgraded from economy class. They charge me a higher fare and it is all included.

Suites should pay no added service fees over a standard cabin.

This is what I was questioning in my original post. I received this while on a Celebrity Dec 2017 cruise

And as it clear says anyone can opt out of the payment. Why does it say this? Because they need to make it appear to be a tip and not a servcie fee which it is.