Do people dress up for the themed nights? Should we bring our pirate outfits?

luvavacation

White Night was huge on our Seaside cruise and many people dressed for Flower Power :')and some for Gatsby Night (Including me). I didn't know there would be a Pirate Night and I don't think many people did. Italian night was not as big a deal on the Seaside as it was on the Divina. The Entertainment crew was dressed for all theme nights. Bob

I also dressed for Great Gatsby night, it was fun. I noticed several ppl dressed for 70's theme, not so much pirate. The Italian night was the same night as White Night, and most dressed in white.

I just wouldn’t wear shorts because the rules say no shorts after 6pm in any public area on MSC.

That's not true. Nowhere does it say no shorts after 6pm in any public area. If that were the case then the majority of the passengers would be in "violation". There were MANY who did where shorts in the MDR for dinner, and never once were they turned away. No one really seemed to care - I didn't, and of course my husband didn't. I didn't see anyone not dressed up nicer for elegant nights, but the rest of the nights were a mixed bag - you weren't out of place if you were dressed super fancy or relaxed in shorts.

We cruised last week on MSC Seaside in the Yacht Club. The night that we saw the most people who followed the recommendations for attire was on White Night. We did not dress for White Night because the Daily Planner stated that those festivities began at 10:30pm and we'd just be finishing dinner then and remaining in the Yacht Club the rest of the evening. We did see one couple in the YC lounge in tux and evening gown for the first Elegant night. We ate in YC that night and did not notice anyone else in formal wear. We opted out that night and instead dressed for the following evening in our formal wear since it was my birthday. My husband wore a suit and tie and I wore a dress. We dined at a specialty restaurant that night and were the only people that we noticed dressed so formally. I was surprised by that because I thought more people would dress up for the specialty restaurants. To be clear, I was not disappointed that no one else was "dressed up" since we did it for our own reasons. We repeated the formal attire on the second formal night, which was Lobster night in the YC restaurant. We did not notice anyone else in suits or tuxedos that night. We did get some comments from the YC concierges and YC director about how nice it was to see people "dressed up" -- but none of the staff seemed concerned at all about people not dressing to follow the recommendations for the different nights. I think that you are safe to dress as you feel comfortable as long as you don't break any of the "real rules."

That's not true. Nowhere does it say no shorts after 6pm in any public area. If that were the case then the majority of the passengers would be in "violation". There were MANY who did where shorts in the MDR for dinner, and never once were they turned away. No one really seemed to care - I didn't, and of course my husband didn't. I didn't see anyone not dressed up nicer for elegant nights, but the rest of the nights were a mixed bag - you weren't out of place if you were dressed super fancy or relaxed in shorts.

That's good to know and going back to the MSC website, you'd be danged if you could easily find a dress code. They don't officially list one anymore. I know I saw the no shorts after 6 pm stated there when I booked last year for this coming March. But they've removed it. What I had to dig for, on the Site Map is below. But google a search of the MSC Dress Code and Cruise Critic and many other sites say no shorts after 6 pm in public areas. MSC will have to do some proactive PR work to change that.

Traveling with MSC Cruises is a pleasant mix of relaxing moments, parties, dinners, sports activities and shore excursions. So, when packing your suitcases, make sure you include appropriate outfits to suit each occasion.

• Casual wear is recommended for life on board ship and for excursions.
  • For informal evenings, we recommend summery dresses for women and a lightweight jacket for men.
  • For the Gala evenings the dress code is more formal. We suggest a tuxedo, dinner jacket, or dark suit and tie for gentlemen, and a dressy outfit, formal gown, or cocktail dress for ladies.
  • We offer daytime and evening Theme Parties, so bring your finest 60s and 70s floral gear to step back in time at the Flower Glory Party, pack white clothing to join the White Party, and don’t forget something green, white and red to celebrate in true Italian style during the MSC Little Italy entertainment.
  • For sports lovers, gym shoes and tracksuits are must-haves when using our cutting-edge gym and attending yoga and dance courses, where available.
  • We also recommend you bring a pullover or shawl to help with the changes in temperature between the air conditioned interior of the ship and the deck areas.
  • For excursions including visits to religious sites we advise that appropriate clothing be worn (covered knees and shoulders, no low-cut tops).
  • For cruises sailing towards the Svalbard islands and Polar areas, please ensure you have adequate polar clothing.

google a search of the MSC Dress Code and Cruise Critic and many other sites say no shorts after 6 pm in public areas.

It's been "No shorts in Restaurants for dinner" for as long as I've been sailing with them; they can certainly be worn elsewhere. The following (usually) appears in the Daily Program - at least around the first day onboard:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=53212942&postcount=8

Edited by Beamafar

Yesterday (Aug 27) was the first formal night on our Preziosa sailing. We are in YC, and headed to the restaurant by Deck 7 to see the people.

Several ladies had the gowns, jewels and sparkles. I estimate about half had dressed up more than usual. About 1/4 of men wore jackets, some with a tie. I would say that I was a definite exception with a tux. Even in YC restaurant. I only noticed 2 other gents at the theater wearing tuxedoes, even if it was captain’s night.

Tonight is white night.

Hello LakeW-

Can you direct me to where on MSC states ‘no shorts after 6pm in any public area’.

Guess I, and many others, are breaking a rule?

Majority of folks are in shorts 24/7 on trips out of Miami.

Never saw or heard of anyone being called out...even in speciality resturants and in MDR for evening meal.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Here is the info you want

the last sentence in the bottom box

dress%20code.jpg

Pete

That is really neat. That needs to be circulated more openly. It is exactly how I understand the differing descriptors of dress on a cruise.

Understanding of course that this is from a retired American who is willing to bring along the necessary clothes for all evenings and my wife likes to dress for dinner every night. :D

Dennis