Transfer from Newark to Newyork

Hi guys I need a bit of advice here, we are on the Adventure of the Seas departing from Port Liberty but we have 4 days prior to this in Newyork itself, so my question is with a son in a wheelchair could I still get a yellow cab to accommodate 3 people, 3 cases and a collapsible wheelchair.

Hi guys I need a bit of advice here, we are on the Adventure of the Seas departing from Port Liberty but we have 4 days prior to this in Newyork itself, so my question is with a son in a wheelchair could I still get a yellow cab to accommodate 3 people, 3 cases and a collapsible wheelchair.

NYC does offer wheel chair accessible taxis. See http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/accessible.shtml. The app works something like Uber, with one caveat - it can apparently take a long time for the taxi to arrive as any accessible cab can take the ride, not the closest. Whether there would be room for all your stuff, I cannot say. Perhaps call the dispatch number and inquire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cabs come in all sizes these days from a Pris to a Mini Van. I would inquire with the hotel that you are staying at to make arrangements. There is also Lyft and Uber. Check out their apps on your phone for car availability and price. Many times they offer a discount for first time passengers and can be less money than a cab.

It is often advised not to take a taxi from New York to New Jersey. Instead they recommend a car service, like Dial 7 or CarmelLimo.

Thanks bob, I will definitely check them out. I see some companies offer a meet and greet inside the terminal, what happens if your flight is delayed, do they check your flight details you supply and adjust their collection time accordingly?

Thanks bob, I will definitely check them out. I see some companies offer a meet and greet inside the terminal, what happens if your flight is delayed, do they check your flight details you supply and adjust their collection time accordingly?

That would depend on thr company, but I do know that Dial 7 asks for flight details.

Hotel is in Manhattan, so I’m guessing I’ll need to use Dial 7 for this too. :confused:

Yes. I don't remember the details, but people always advise not to use a taxi when crossing state lines.

I think most people who live in the city would recommend Uber or Lyft over the car services. There aren't tolls across the bridges and tunnels going from NYC to New Jersey (there are going the other way), so you don't get whacked with those in addition to the fare. Trips outside of the city in a yellow cab are negotiated between you and the driver, and they can basically ask for any price they want, and it'll be high since they can't pick someone up on the other side of the river.

Only exception is to Newark, but that charges a flat fee.

Yes. I don't remember the details, but people always advise not to use a taxi when crossing state lines.

In a taxi cab the meter is always running so you are literally paying to sit in traffic, plus you have to pay the toll for the bridge or tunnel. Car services such as Dial 7, Uber, and Lyft are a flat rate which you will know up front. I expect that the taxi business will become extinct if they don't change their business model. Even on Long Island Uber and Lyft are more popular than a taxi. We mostly drive our cars but there are some occasions when traveling that we will opt for Uber or Lyft to take us to the airport when our children aren't available to take us.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve a total of four trips that cross between Manhattan and New Jersey, two that are to and from the hotel and airport and another two between the hotel and the ship. I reckon I’ll need to arrange with Dial7 to do these other trips as well and only use the cabs in the city to get about.

If finances are an issue and you don't mind a bit of schlepping, there is wheelchair accessible public transportation via PATH train from midtown Manhattan to NJ. Getting over to NJ and then taking a ride share to the ship would save a lot of money. Luggage can make that difficult but just wanted you to know it was possible.

If finances are an issue and you don't mind a bit of schlepping, there is wheelchair accessible public transportation via PATH train from midtown Manhattan to NJ. Getting over to NJ and then taking a ride share to the ship would save a lot of money. Luggage can make that difficult but just wanted you to know it was possible.

We have done this with luggage (but we don't have a family member in a wheelchair) - Caught the PATH from 33rd street Manhattan to Hoboken then the light rail and then a cab. (Wasn't really a money issue - we like catching public transport in different cities.) The PATH bit was fine, the light rail is very slow and the short cab ride from the light rail station to the port was nice - the cab driver was great. Nice views from Hoboken across the river to NYC. Wouldn't do this again after disembarking as the cabs at Port Liberty have some sort of local 'rules' going on and we had to wait for a long time in the hot sun to get a shared cab for the return journey which cost more than the single cab for the first journey. I suggest booking a car for the return journey at least.

Hi, Luminated.

I want to be sure that you get to the ship. It's CAPE Liberty, in Bayonne, NJ.

😊

Good comment Carol. There is a Port Liberte in Jersey City which can be confused with Cape Liberty in Bayonne, so being precise about the Cape Liberty name is important. We want all of the out of towners to get to the right port.

The pronunciations for Liberty and Liberte are very close and can can easily be misconfused.

Good comment Carol. There is a Port Liberte in Jersey City which can be confused with Cape Liberty in Bayonne, so being precise about the Cape Liberty name is important. We want all of the out of towners to get to the right port.

The pronunciations for Liberty and Liberte are very close and can can easily be misconfused.

Now you’ve got me confused, on my documents from RC it says it’s CAPE LIBERTY, NJ (NY METRO).

What one it this?

Now you’ve got me confused, on my documents from RC it says it’s CAPE LIBERTY, NJ (NY METRO).

What one it this?

Royal uses Cape Liberty in Bayonne, New Jersey.