Why so few on roll call if Ship sails this August?

kaymoz

I am pretty sure that you can book private tours through any of the big tour companies - Alla, SPB, TJ, etc. However, if it is just the 2 of you, it may be somewhat more expensive.

On our roll call (Azamara August 8, which is not very active compared to Azamara Aug 19), one couple arranged with TJ (or maybe it was SPB) to go to Moscow on Day 2 and do a Jewish Heritage tour on Day 3. You need to email and ask your questions - I don't think you are going to find all your options just by looking at their website listings.

This was some years ago but Alla (and likely others) were then willing to facilitate individuals to join up with already booked groups or to make up stranger groups. Can't hurt to ask them directly. I an sure they are interested in getting your business if they can:p.

On our tour of the Hermitage we went in around 8:30 and had the place to ourselves until it opened at 11. You can see an awful lot of the place when there are no crowds. Also, our guide used wireless headsets so we could wander ahead or linger quite a ways behind her if you weren't interested in her explanation. However, as she was a history professor her commentary was quite illuminating.

Bottom line - consider the tours. They are quite good. And don't be afraid to ask!

Greetings, Everyone, from South Beach. Some cruises have many CCs who get involved on Roll Calls, and others have no one. On our last Regent cruise, the Roll Call was quite active. Yet, of those who said they would attend. at least half never made it. The Captain and several other officers attended. They were gracious and informative. Matching faces to screen names was fun. In 2011, we attended a Roll Call party on Marina with at least 100 attendees. It was the TA from Barcelona to Miami, in Marina's maiden year, and that may have had something to do with the turnout.

In conversations with people I meet on board, I am no longer surprised that very few know anything about CC. The usual response is something about not wanting to be a critic. The name has a negative connotation for many people. In any case, over the years CC has been very helpful. Most recently, we had a query about pre existing insurance that was ably addressed by several posters on the Regent thread. That kind of interchange is what I value most about CC. Certainly, Roll calls are a nice idea, but making them work isn't easy. I know. I did it once.

Mary

I am struggling with what to do about tours in St. Petersberg. The descriptions of tours from the ship are not inspiring, and who knows how big those groups would be....So I had hoped to connect with some others to arrange some small groups with TJ tours or Alla, etc. But without roll call involvement, I am at a loss of how to find potential companions.

Have you actually posted on the roll call? Sometimes in the past I've known folks to "lurk" without joining in or commenting on roll calls but perhaps looking to see if there are private tours that look interesting and joining in only when they see something they like.

Kaymoz;

Take the initiative, line up a cruise, offer to Captain it, and post it on CC. You’ll be surprised the number of people that will come out of lurking and contact you. I’ve captained numerous tours, it’s not that difficult. Take the initiative!

I have been posting on the roll call for our cruise on Nautica, but haven't exactly proposed a specific tour, tho I have one in mind. It is actually an excursion that the Azamara counterpart cruise includes -- check it out, doesn't it sound sweet? https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/shore-excursion-details/PZXA

Oceania doesn't include this excursion currently, and I contacted them to see if they could add it. They replied that it is too late since the schedule has gone to print, which is understandable -- the ship sails in less than 120 days.

But it might be possible to arrange something similar through TJ tours: https://st-petersburg-tours.ru/special-interest-tours

If we are going to do this anyway, it doesn't hurt to throw it open to others! But we do need to have our act together to propose something cohesive, since we'd probably bundle this into a full day of guiding with some other out-of-the-city highlights that interest us.

get your plans sorted out like if you are using a guide or DIY

others may need time to get a VISA if you are planning to DIY

if booking with TJ get the tour planned then post your tour info & see if there are any takers

sometimes after Final payment day more people sign up & are looking for private tours

no guarantees but it happens

JMO

Geez Pinotlover, you make it sound like established travel cliques might dominate the Oceania cruise population.....

It is true that O has a very high number of repeat passengers and they do maintain relationships from past cruises

With such an experienced group who know all about the ship its in and outs, and have been to the same ports more than once casual groups are common. They hold their own meet and greet, which to be honest seem pretty worthless, unless you have a specific person you need to contact However the conversations and interaction between passengers I think is very enjoyable . Possibly the most enjoyable part of the cruise is visiting with new and interesting people.

The best place to meet fellow passengers is in the smoking section by waves bar. I dont smoke but those that do are the warmest and nicest folks on the ship I have found. Very enjoyable

O is not like the party ships which have organized get together and such Its a different demographic totally on O And thats the way the majority of passengers like it and why they repeat

I am one who likes just sailing on the ship and could care less about the ports with few exceptions

I think Oceania Roll Call participation has fallen since O began packaging the OLife options. I noticed this on my last 2 cruises. I started a Roll Call for a Riviera cruise I'm booked on in October 2018 and there's been very little participation - even though the entire ship has been Wait Listed since December. Perhaps there's a large affinity group (as Mura mentioned) but still disappointing.

Additionally, the changes to CC have made it more difficult to find Roll Calls. In general, the CC changes appear to be more to promote cruise sales while making it more difficult to find reviews or forums of any type - including Roll Calls. Not really surprising since the site was acquired by Trip Advisor. And the recent changes to the user interface create multiple paths to the Roll Calls which offer a different presentation to the user.

while making it more difficult to find reviews or forums of any type - including Roll Calls.

Agreed. I thought it was just me. Hard to find reviews.

As an aside, I am booked on an August Celebrity cruise and that roll call is inactive as well. I read somewhere that groups are moving over to FB. I don’t FB.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just got back from a week long visit to St. Petersburg and did all my own sightseeing using public transportation It was not challenging, however, the city was empty. NO lines anywhere. I have also been to SPB in the summer using a private group tour and it was definitely the way to go if the city is crowded. They get you into museums before they open and you look outside and see the line around the block for those unconnected people waiting to get in. There is no way you can see as much in your 2 or 3 day stay without an experienced guide. Plus, the guide we had at SPB was beyond amazing. She knew her stuff.

Kathleen