Live from the Prinsendam - 28 day Azores and Celtic Explorer - May 5th, 2018

kazu

Our tentative plan for Cobh in October is to get a taxi from the ship up to the top of Spy Hill (its a long uphill walk) to the junction with Parkway. Then walk back down Parkway with the pretty houses on the left to the park (near the top, hardly a park, not much more than a cabbage patch) to get the iconic photograph with Cathedral over the houses. Then continue on down to the town, have look at the shops, maybe a snack in a pub with a Guinness and then meander back to the ship. We estimate this to be 800-900 metres, all downhill or flat.

Our tentative plan for Cobh in October is to get a taxi from the ship up to the top of Spy Hill (its a long uphill walk) to the junction with Parkway. Then walk back down Parkway with the pretty houses on the left to the park (near the top, hardly a park, not much more than a cabbage patch) to get the iconic photograph with Cathedral over the houses. Then continue on down to the town, have look at the shops, maybe a snack in a pub with a Guinness and then meander back to the ship. We estimate this to be 800-900 metres, all downhill or flat.

Not Guinness, have Murphy's! It's brewed in Cork. We always check out the local brews.

a taxi from the ship

A alternative might be http://www.cobhroadtrain.ie as it goes up to the Cathedral it is only about 400 metres on the flat to get to the top of West View (not Parkway as all though it is the same line [original road?] the name changes at Canon O'Leary Place). The web site does not give the open season. I am not sure if this is the same one that Kathy spoke of in post https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=56036129#post56036129, probably as it does get you up the hill to the cathedral (when it is running).

Not Guinness, have Murphy's!

Ah, being English and only been to Ireland once (Dublin) where we did a ships excursion for orientation I am lacking knowledge in this area. Thanks for the advice.

A alternative might be http://www.cobhroadtrain.ie as it goes up to the Cathedral it is only about 400 metres on the flat to get to the top of West View (not Parkway as all though it is the same line [original road?] the name changes at Canon O'Leary Place). The web site does not give the open season. I am not sure if this is the same one that Kathy spoke of in post https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=56036129#post56036129, probably as it does get you up the hill to the cathedral (when it is running).

Yes, that's the one. I was hoping to have an easy way up to the cathedral, but they said it isn't running. If you're OK with slopes (some steep) Cobh is very walkable.

We've decided to go DIY in Cobh. Unless steep walks are an issue, it's a walkable town.

Tripadvisor and my guidebook (Fodor) say the best thing to see in Cobh is the Heritage Center (Queenstown Story), which is right by the ship. I want to do the Titanic Experience, too. It may be touristy, but it gets good reviews on Tripadvisor. Titanic Experience is a timed ticket, and a few time slots are already full, so I booked my tickets online this morning.

We're on the 10:15 tour at Titanic Experience. Anyone want to "embark" with us? I figure that allows for a leisurely breakfast, a stroll into town, and by the time we're out (they say allow an hour), pubs will be open. I want to go to the Mauretania pub for a bit of Cunard. And then we'll head back toward the ship and the Heritage Center.

Here's a map of Cobh. It's less than a 1/4 mile from the ship to the Titanic Experience. (450 m according to Googlemap)

http://www.visitcobh.com/index.php/about/map-of-cobh/

We've decided to go DIY in Cobh. Unless steep walks are an issue, it's a walkable town.

Tripadvisor and my guidebook (Fodor) say the best thing to see in Cobh is the Heritage Center (Queenstown Story), which is right by the ship. I want to do the Titanic Experience, too. It may be touristy, but it gets good reviews on Tripadvisor. Titanic Experience is a timed ticket, and a few time slots are already full, so I booked my tickets online this morning.

We're on the 10:15 tour at Titanic Experience. Anyone want to "embark" with us? I figure that allows for a leisurely breakfast, a stroll into town, and by the time we're out (they say allow an hour), pubs will be open. I want to go to the Mauretania pub for a bit of Cunard. And then we'll head back toward the ship and the Heritage Center.

Here's a map of Cobh. It's less than a 1/4 mile from the ship to the Titanic Experience. (450 m according to Googlemap)

http://www.visitcobh.com/index.php/about/map-of-cobh/

Sounds like fun, Kathy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And our When and Where for today:

(I don't see the Block party or the Bridge tour that was announced yesterday but there will probably be an update at noon).

fd97e20ba240bc2cd568862b28088aef.jpg

Jacqui, Captain Dag sure seems like a great Captain.

What a fun Idea of a block party!!! Just got caught up on your live thread today. I want to hear about the wine around the world and what was your favorite 🍷😊

Enjoy your TA looking forward to more pics.

Denise:)

We had a busy day yesterday - LOL.

The Wines around the World was a fun event. $25 pp and 12 wines (6 red and 6 white) to taste and then decide to drink.

I liked the Rueda (white) from Spain the best.

DH like the Rioja (red) from Spain the most.

The other wines came from New Zealand, France, South Africa, Italy & I already forget the other country - LOL.

A comment on DINNER - the soft shell crab was AMAZING. You could tell it was being cooked as it went. Vict0riann said it was better than the Tamarind’s and ncgolferette who comes from crab country said it was the best she ever had. It was absolutely delicious.

Yup, food is a step up, for sure ;)

Everyone enjoyed the “Ask the Captain” session with Captain Dag.

Captain Dag is very personable - a great sense of humour, congenial and often out and about.

He first started on the Prinsendam in 2015 when he came over from Seabourn.

While he has gone back and forth between the 2, he shared with us that since he is at the tail end of his career he prefers to be on a ship with a beautiful bow, open air bridge wing and a proper promenade deck so the Prinsendam is his preference. So, many will have the pleasure to cruise with him.

Captain Dag did share his opinion that the future of HAL was more along the lines of the Koningsdam type ship.

How long will the Prinsendam sail? Hard to say, Captain Dag does think it’s days/years are numbered as it costs more and more as she ages. But, on the other hand, it’s a valuable asset with a lot of money invested in her. She is sailing full this segment and often does and is very profitable for the line. So, as he says, who knows?

When someone pointed out that if ships like the Koningsdam are the future, the little ports will be missing. Captain Dag joked that on ships like the Koningsdam don’t want you getting off in little ports. They want you to stay on the ship where every step you take costs $.

One interesting thing he pointed out is that it is hard to get crew because of the number of ships and they have it is a fight to get good staff.

Wow - at Ask the Captain - a passenger wanted to make a comment. This is his first sailing on the Prinsendam but he sailed on the last World Cruise on the Viking Sun and he said the ship is as beautiful now as it was then. He complimented the Captain and crew on the care that the Prinsendam has received.

Lots of interesting stories at this and Captain Dag kept us all interested and amused with his answers and comments.

Remember our first day of rough seas?

From one extreme to the other. Look at how smooth it is today. Unbelievable!

05ff0e1774f499642b9cf0f2682c82c2.jpg

Love the Captain's Chat, and would have loved to have been there for yours. Captain Dag seems a perfect fit for the Prinsendam. It pleases me to hear positive feedback regarding the care given our little elegant explorer. The Rotterdam V was in the fleet 38 years, so maybe P'dam does have more years to go.

Thanks for sharing.

OMG - we had the Block party. What a blast~

Not a good combination with our roll call wine tasting for our roll call.

and Sel de Mer to follow.

Once I get the pics downloaded, I will share but the Block party was fun.

All Captain Dag's idea as are the BRIDGE tours.

Off to get ready and will be back later.

Oops I forgot to say. "Thar be whales out there"

Whales and a baby dolphin which we really shouldn't see yet, but more to see as we get to the Azores.

Hi Kazu and all!

Sorry to hear about Bristol being cancelled but.........welcome to Cork!

For those currently onboard with limited internet connections, if I can offer any help in arranging your visit to Cobh/Cork, please let me know and I will try my best to get you the relevant information.

Jacqui, we got off the Prinsendam when you got on! It was a wonderful Grand Voyage and we were sad to leave. Unfortunately Captain Dag was only on for our final two weeks which is way too short a time!! We enjoyed all our interactions with him immensely, and I'm pleased to say he signed my Seabourn Quest Antarctica cruise photo book for me (he was our Captain on that voyage).

I wish we could have had a Block Party while on the Prinsendam, too, but by the time Captain Dag arrived, we'd been on the ship for nearly 6 weeks, and it IS sort of an ice breaker which you would want to do early on. We had a Block Party shortly after we boarded the Quest, so perhaps this is something Captain Dag suggested the ship arrange. What happened was at 5 pm or so we went out into the hallway outside our room and were served champagne and chatted with our "neighbors". Then moments later Captain Dag and the Cruise Director strolled by to chat with us as well. Great fun!

While in Cobh, check out the gift shop on the pier in the little train station and look for the lovely sterling silver Celtic knot necklaces. The box on mine says Celtic Lands by Sea Gems. They are so well made and finished, and I adore wearing mine. There are several kinds of knots so you're sure to find the perfect one. Not too expensive either.

And also,while we were on the Prinsendam there were many chilled fruit soups on the menu, for the person who asked. All were terrific. I really miss my waiter, Riris, and assistant Ardian. He is in the aft dining room in the evening, but you may run into Riris during lunch on sea days in the dining room. He's hard to miss! Tell him Sandi and Dennis say hello!