Alaska Glacier Bay

pc2425

I was torn on whether to ask this here or on the Alaska port of call board. Anyway, we are going to Alaska for the first time May 12th on the Eurodam. Super excited! Here is my question...we have an aft balcony cabin across the back of the ship and I’m wondering if we will be able to hear the naturalist from our balcony while cruising Glacier Bay? Or will we need to be on deck to hear them?

Thanks!

Quite often they will broadcast the narrative on your cabin's TV.

Personally I think it is more fun to be out on deck with everyone else, unless it is raining hard. For one thing you'll be able to see more of the glacier at one time which means you have a better chance of seeing a calving. Also, someone will start pointing out things - birds, animals, where the ice seems to be starting to crack.

In the past HAL has served split pea soup on decks and the photographers love, love, love to get pictures of passengers with the glaciers in the background.

I agree with towhee, it’s best to be out on deck to take in the beauty. Doubt whether you could hear the speaker on your Verandah. Plus the split pea soup on the open bow is great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They do have naturalist in the Crows Nest early in the morning as you sail into the Bay. I agree it is much better viewing & taking pictures out on the deck, best place we found was out on the bow, dress warm.

Allan

If this is your first time to Glacier Bay, you do want to be out on the deck.

In the past, the pea soup was also served in the Crow's Nest. Check the time in your Where and When program. It is usually served around 10 AM.

Most captains keep the port side of the ship facing the glaciers the longest.

How crowded does the bow get when sailing into Glacier Bay? I have a phobia of crowds, but I was okay on the bow when we sailed into San Juan.
It wasn't too bad when we were there, but it depends a lot on the weather. If it's a cold and windy or rainy day the bow will be empty and the Crow's Nest will be crowded, while on a balmy day people may be three or four deep along the railings. Also remember that on every ship there are forward decks above the bow that are opened to the public for scenic sailing, and these usually have just a single row of people along the railing. Edited by catl331

Doubt whether you could hear the speaker on your Verandah.

You'd have to have the volume turned as high as it will go in order to hear it through the closed door. Even then, it would probably be distorted.

Besides, the views are better from the decks. Not to mention the camaraderie of sharing the experience with others out there. Move around, and see from many vantage points.

You don't have to be flush up against the railings to get a great view.

You'd have to have the volume turned as high as it will go in order to hear it through the closed door. Even then, it would probably be distorted.

Besides, the views are better from the decks. Not to mention the camaraderie of sharing the experience with others out there. Move around, and see from many vantage points.

You don't have to be flush up against the railings to get a great view.

Agree only stating from past experience, better out on deck. Guess I should have said, “clearly”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How crowded does the bow get when sailing into Glacier Bay? I have a phobia of crowds, but I was okay on the bow when we sailed into San Juan.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

It will be 4 deep in humanity on any side bow or rail that has a view. My advice is to get to the highest deck vantage point on the ship and not be on the main deck. The higher you are the more you will view. There will be lots of pushing from my experience

Get out of your cabin because no cabin is going to offer you anywhere near what the on deck view would be... Having been to Alaska 4 times in everything from a penthouse to a inside I would , in the future, opt for an inside because it gets me out and about. in a PH /suiite you see only a tiny bit. Picture looking through a hole in a bucket at the scenery... !!! /.

We found no pushing but two to three deep will probably be norm in the beginning, just polite standing and occasional openings where one can also take their turn at the railing. Same for the entry into the Panama Canal. Expect it and be glad HAL passengers for the most part are well-mannered and courteous folks. I have never experienced rude behavior. But those who get their first do get first possession rights.

It will be 4 deep in humanity on any side bow or rail that has a view.
We will probably go up on deck for part of the time, but we booked an aft wraparound balcony for this very reason.

Sorry to add another question here, but I don't think it warrants a whole new thread - what about views from the retreat cabanas? Same issue as with the balcony (tiny view)? was just thinking that it would be much less crowded than on deck, though you may not hear the naturalist. Thank you.