Fantasy--Gimme the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly??

soapbxking

I am currently looking at booking her for next February. We would be making the trip from Pennsylvania. This is our first cruise. I have been debating between here, Charleston, or Baltimore. I am leaning more towards this because of the timing. We want to be able to enjoy the pool with my 8 (then 9) year old and I just don’t see that happening in January or February coming from Baltimore or Charleston. It’s about a 19 hour drive down which isn’t that bad. Less time than going to Miami or Tampa. Price wise I think it all works out about the same as going from Charleston when you factor in the extra gas money needed. Anyone else cruise from SC and AL and have a preference?

I haven't cruised from Charleston, so maybe I'm biased, but we cruised form Mobile at the end of January and had a blast. Mobile does Mardi Gras in a big way, and that added to our pre-cruise experience. Everyone around us was friendly and helped us get in to the swing of the parades and activities. The terminal was easy to get into and out of. I would definitely recommend the Fantasy and Mobile. Don't get me wrong, it was still kind of cool on Embarkation Day (well maybe Southern cool) but by the next day temperatures were much warmer.

I haven't cruised from Charleston, so maybe I'm biased, but we cruised form Mobile at the end of January and had a blast. Mobile does Mardi Gras in a big way, and that added to our pre-cruise experience. Everyone around us was friendly and helped us get in to the swing of the parades and activities. The terminal was easy to get into and out of. I would definitely recommend the Fantasy and Mobile. Don't get me wrong, it was still kind of cool on Embarkation Day (well maybe Southern cool) but by the next day temperatures were much warmer.

LOL I have family that live in Clearwater and other parts of Florida. They have all lived up here at one point or another! Southern cool is definitely a thing! I was sitting in my hot tub one night this past winter with my hair literally freezing. With the wind chill, temps were somewhere around -12. Meanwhile my cousin was posting her 78 degree temps! We had snow on April 30th for Pete's sake!!!! I was stationed in Panama City back in 98 for my first duty station. I left PA on January 3rd at the tail end of a blizzard. landed at PCB airport and it was in the 70s. Got down to about 36 for a few days about a week later, but right back to the 70s immediately. I was in the gulf by the end of February!

I think I'm going to pull the trigger and book for February 4th sailing to Cozumel and Progresso. Thinking of actually springing for an Obstructed view suite instead of the oceanview. It's about a $500 difference in price. I am thinking it would be worth it to have the extra room with the child.

Just got off her. Crew was fanstatic.... honestly the bones of the ship are pretty similar to newer ship so talk of being “old” in my opinion dont matter.

If I had any complaints it would be -

- Comedy club is smaller that other Fantasy class ships

- Sea Day Brunch was slow or not always warm food...they seem overwhelmed.

but - normal wait staff, steward, and other crew were awesome and I would not hesitate to go back.

As far as ship size - Large and small ships are all different experience. Not better, not worse - different and I like both experiences.

I used Microtel Saraland for room and shuttle to and from port, really good experience and they have the shuttle down, highly recommend and 2 nice restaurants easy walk from hotel which is clean and friendly staff. Maybe 15-20minutes from port depending on traffic.

Following. Will be cruising the Fantasy in September. Looking for more on port and hotel info too.

We stayed pretty much downtown in a quirky little B&B called the Berney/Fly. It could have been updated a little better but the Innkeeper was awesome as was the breakfast in the morning. It was about 5 minutes to the port and was walking distance (less than a mile) to several dining options. We ate at Wintzell's Oyster House.

I'm normally a bargain shopper when it comes to parking, but there really were not any alternatives to the port parking garage unless you do a park and cruise, and there are not many options for that either. Parking was $18 per day at the port, you can pat on line in advance which will save you from standing in line at a machine to pay.

For a park and cruise, I believe the Microtel in Saraland has already been mentioned and I looked at that option. We wanted to be more downtown, and it definitely worked out for us as we were able to watch a Mardi Gras parade.

The other odd issue at the port is that the roads in to and out of the garage cross railroad tracks and several times traffic had to stop for a train.

Would just like to thank everyone that still sails on and enjoys cruising on the old rust buckets of the Fantasy Class that are pure profit makers for Carnival at this point that allows them to invest those profits into current state of the art ships like the Horizon and of course the future 180,000 ton LNG powered ships that will be coming out in 2020 and 2022.

We just sailed her. We had a great time....loved the crew.....size was great......we were pleased with everything on board. I have been on larger ships with all the bells and whistles, but this one still feels like coming home. I have sailed her twice in recent years and wouldn't hesitate to go again.

We just cruised on her this past January and March. We loved it! It was very easy and quick to get from one place to the next on the ship. I am not one, however, to dwell on rust spots, a stain on the carpet, etc. I didn't notice any of these...I was too busy enjoying being on ANY cruise ship and on vacation. Food was good, room steward was great, shows were good, drinks were excellent, my bed was wonderfully comfortable. (I think one's enjoyment is all about preconceptions and expectations.) I can't think of anything that would prevent me from sailing on the Fantasy again. The commute to Mobile is a piece of cake from East Tennessee. We stayed at Renaissance Riverview and used their shuttle. Nicest shuttle guy you could ever meet! Squeezed us on to an earlier shuttle by moving around some luggage since the ship had arrived into Mobile port considerably late. Since the ship was late, Renaissance also allowed us to stay in our room until our new shuttle time so we didn't have to roam around with our luggage. Shuttle driver was there and waiting when we got off with a big smile on his face. Five star treatment from the hotel and shuttle all around!

Thanks!!! We will be driving from Greensboro, NC. Where in TN??? I lived in Memphis(obviously west) for a few years!

Would just like to thank everyone that still sails on and enjoys cruising on the old rust buckets of the Fantasy Class that are pure profit makers for Carnival at this point that allows them to invest those profits into current state of the art ships like the Horizon and of course the future 180,000 ton LNG powered ships that will be coming out in 2020 and 2022.

Oh, aren't you special.

Oh, aren't you special.
Well....you must be just a little more special than I am since all 21 of your previous Carnival cruises have all been on ships that are larger and newer than the Fantasy Class. At least I have cruised 4 times on Carnival on Fantasy Class and an additional 3 times on even smaller ships that are no longer in the fleet.

Enjoy your Panama Canal crossing on your first Fantasy Class ship.

Well....you must be just a little more special than I am since all 21 of your previous Carnival cruises have all been on ships that are larger and newer than the Fantasy Class. At least I have cruised 4 times on Carnival on Fantasy Class and an additional 3 times on even smaller ships that are no longer in the fleet.

Enjoy your Panama Canal crossing on your first Fantasy Class ship.

It's not about how special I am, but about how special YOU are. Both of your posts on this thread had nothing to do with the OP questions. More about you slamming the "old rust buckets" of the Carnival fleet and facetious comments about the "people who make the most profit" for Carnival.

Then you reverse your stance and state you are one of those people who have made the most profit for Carnival by sailing on Fantasy class ships several times.

Huh, maybe I am more special than you, but I sail for itinerary and the Fantasy was one of my only choices for the Panama Canal. Thanks for your blessing on the Fantasy and my upcoming cruise.

It's not about how special I am, but about how special YOU are. Both of your posts on this thread had nothing to do with the OP questions. More about you slamming the "old rust buckets" of the Carnival fleet and facetious comments about the "people who make the most profit" for Carnival.

Then you reverse your stance and state you are one of those people who have made the most profit for Carnival by sailing on Fantasy class ships several times.

Huh, maybe I am more special than you, but I sail for itinerary and the Fantasy was one of my only choices for the Panama Canal. Thanks for your blessing on the Fantasy and my upcoming cruise.

You've sailed on Carnival 21 times over the past 16 years, yet none of those were on any of the 8 Fantasy Class ships. There had to be a conscious decision on your part to avoid them because you're eliminating over 30% of the fleet.

I was sincere with my thanks because it's the many cruisers that cruise in the 3/4 day journeys out of the obscure ports that enable Carnival to build the state of the art ships that are the only ones that I sail on these days. Been there, done that with the Fantasy Class and even smaller ones back in the day. Since many are being updated in dry dock with some of the 2.0 upgrades, that even sweetens the pot further for those that prefer the drivable, shorter length cruises to get a taste of what the larger, newer builds have. It's brilliant marketing on Carnival's part and I applaud them for it.

I was just on the Fantasy and debarked last Thursday. I guess you could say I'm a really big fan

of the Fantasy since this last cruise was my 3rd on her in a year's time.

She is a smaller, older ship but is well taken care of in my opinion. There are some rust spots showing

but I would bet if you spent 24/7 on the ocean you would have some rust spots as well.

I really like the way the ship is laid out - I never felt like I was on the ship with too many people and we

never went anywhere to eat or do anything that we had to wait more than just a few minutes.

The current cruise director is awesome as well.

I'm hoping to do a review of our last cruise but haven't got started just yet.

If you have any questions though I will be happy to answer them.

I was just on the Fantasy and debarked last Thursday. I guess you could say I'm a really big fan

She is a smaller, older ship but is well taken care of in my opinion. There are some rust spots showing

but I would bet if you spent 24/7 on the ocean you would have some rust spots as well.

I really like the way the ship is laid out - I never felt like I was on the ship with too many people and we

never went anywhere to eat or do anything that we had to wait more than just a few minutes.

I’m from North Georgia also! Looking forward to sailing on the Fantasy in June!

You've sailed on Carnival 21 times over the past 16 years, yet none of those were on any of the 8 Fantasy Class ships. There had to be a conscious decision on your part to avoid them because you're eliminating over 30% of the fleet.

I was sincere with my thanks because it's the many cruisers that cruise in the 3/4 day journeys out of the obscure ports that enable Carnival to build the state of the art ships that are the only ones that I sail on these days. Been there, done that with the Fantasy Class and even smaller ones back in the day. Since many are being updated in dry dock with some of the 2.0 upgrades, that even sweetens the pot further for those that prefer the drivable, shorter length cruises to get a taste of what the larger, newer builds have. It's brilliant marketing on Carnival's part and I applaud them for it.

Geez... I love ALL the ships. I recently sailed on the Magic. Nice size ship and not sure I wanna go on anything bigger at this time. I love the Fantasy class as well. Cozy and easy to get around, but doesn't have bells and whistles. A day at sea on any ship beats being home!!!

Looking forward to your review!!!!

We're looking forward to the Fantasy in November! Our first cruise was on the Elation and we loved it. Then another on the Dream, but that was much larger and with a nightmare layout. Couldn't go anywhere directly and had to walk forever.

We sail in the colder months for better prices, so we love the enclosed promenades with comfy chairs, and the nice libraries with big windows. If it's cool or rainy there's plenty of places to sit inside and watch the ocean. And there's plenty of places to sit outside, too.

We don't gamble or dance or go to most of the shows (though we're hoping to stay awake at least one night and see a musical show.) So we don't care about fancy stuff. We mostly read and crochet and get lots of pictures taken, which are fun to go through. Fantasy will be just perfect.

My only complaint is that they've taken out the second pool with the cute twisty waterslide. I loved splashing into that pool and swimming around. The new enclosed slide makes me queasy and you have to scramble right out at the bottom.

My recent Diamond cruise was on the Fantasy - could NOT have asked for more! Officers and staff were friendly, room steward was attentive, everything shipboard was clean, smelled good and in working order. We prefer this class, and have a heart for the Fantasy since our first cruise ever was in 2004 on the Fantasy, cabin E253. Would encourage anyone considering booking on the Fantasy to do it! And keep in mind Carnival’s largest population demographic is repeat cruisers - they want you back!

We will be on the Fantasy in December, 2018 in the exact same cabin. How was it at the back of the ship?

We will be on the Fantasy in December, 2018 in the exact same cabin. How was it at the back of the ship?

I was in E238 and will be in the cabin again in November. It was very quiet at the back of the ship and not a lot of movement. I really enjoyed it.