Help our cabin is not what we expected!

eddiecat

Thank you for the support! I posted this on TripAdvisor as well and I got some very angry folks telling me it was all my fault and I got what I deserved. Whereas on this forum everyone has been amazing, can’t thank everyone enough. You have all made me feel so much better :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

People on this forum are cruisers. Been there, done that, and have more booked. We understand the situation. The crowd on Trip Advisor is mostly wanna be travelers and armchair quarterbacks (sorry, Loo Goalies in the U.K. vernacular) that have never even seen a cabin on a cruise ship. Pay them no mind. Just make the best of it all.

Very true. It is a wonderful itinerary, I’m very excited regardless of the cabin! I hope they do sort something, if not I won’t worry about it until I get on board. Thank you for the support, it’s really good to know talk to someone who has been on the ship :)

I'll echo Happyhummingbird's view of Oceana. We sailed on her last year just before her refit, so potentially at her worst. We were sceptical as we're getting used to bigger, newer ships but we loved her. She looks sleek and has a wonderful atrium. I've already booked for next year. Try perching yourselves at the little bar in Magnums for a pre-dinner drink and enjoy the little plate of canapes. Very romantic.

I'm now envious of your cruise and if I had to, I'd build that queen-sized bed out of anything I could lay my hands on.

I like a challenge :D

Another vote for Oceana. Have now done 5 cruises on her and just returned from the Greek Island part of the itinerary for 2018. Lovely, lovely ship. Lovely, lovely crew. Just go and enjoy. You will have the time of your life :-)

You have a great attitude to all of the disappointment and I really hope that P&O sort it out for you.

I'll echo Happyhummingbird's view of Oceana. We sailed on her last year just before her refit, so potentially at her worst. We were sceptical as we're getting used to bigger, newer ships but we loved her. She looks sleek and has a wonderful atrium. I've already booked for next year. Try perching yourselves at the little bar in Magnums for a pre-dinner drink and enjoy the little plate of canapes. Very romantic.

I'm now envious of your cruise and if I had to, I'd build that queen-sized bed out of anything I could lay my hands on.

What's so bad about two youngters in a single bed? It could be fun.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Forums mobile app

People on this forum are cruisers. Been there, done that, and have more booked. We understand the situation. The crowd on Trip Advisor is mostly wanna be travelers and armchair quarterbacks (sorry, Loo Goalies in the U.K. vernacular) that have never even seen a cabin on a cruise ship. Pay them no mind. Just make the best of it all.

You do know who owns and operates this site?

Registrant Name: TripAdvisor LLC Legal Department

Registrant Organization: TripAdvisor LLC

Everyone here is on the TripAdvisor platform. That said I do find it strange how may posters here seem willing to settle for what the company says. Several just make the best of your cruise comments, it is your money you should not need to just make the best of a cruise that has not even started yet.

You do know who owns and operates this site?

Registrant Name: TripAdvisor LLC Legal Department

Registrant Organization: TripAdvisor LLC

Everyone here is on the TripAdvisor platform. That said I do find it strange how may posters here seem willing to settle for what the company says. Several just make the best of your cruise comments, it is your money you should not need to just make the best of a cruise that has not even started yet.

Just stating the difference in the people on either platform. This posting will be read by cruising minded people. I love the trip advisor for hotel reviews, as all those posters have stayed in a hotel.

(From my iPad, so please forgive the errors)

You could measure the beds in the photo earlier in the thread, calculate the distance between the two beds and then look around DIY centres near the terminal for "loft boards" they are tongue and grooved and come in short lengths. Normally people board out their lofts with these. However you might be able to bridge the gap and pull the two mattresses together on the bridged section you have made.

My alternative idea is to go sick and claim on insurance need to visit ill relatives.

Regards John

What's so bad about two youngters in a single bed? It could be fun.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Forums mobile app

Definitely could be fun, we were 19 years old students when we took our first holiday together to Torquay. We had booked with a small B&B. When we arrived we found that we were in a very narrow room with 2 single beds, we had a fantastic holiday and still laugh about learning that 2 adults can fit in a single bed.

46 years on I doubt that we would be so easy going but at 19 it was fun. :D:hearteyes:

Oceana is a really lovely, welcoming ship. ..... we have never heard of 'railway cabins' before.

We too have had a bad cabin on Oceana but still had a wonderful holiday. We have sailed with PO many years but have never heard of railway cabins and I agree with another poster PO should mention them in the brochure to make every one aware.

I hope you get it all sorted tomorrow.

Hi, apologies if this has already been said but what grade guarantee did you book. My understanding is, and I only say this as we have booked a guarantee / saver fare, when you book a guarantee they will state a minimum grade, so if this was the case (eg HD guarantee), then they can’t allocate anything below that. HD is the grade of cabin you have been allocated, as I think earlier in the thread you mentioned B737? Check your paperwork and see what guarantee you paid for, it will be on the invoice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That looks grim!

I’m sure it will be nicer than that and you’ll probably enjoy the extra space ,especially if your in there for 14 nights.

Not heard of the railway cabins before either. I suspect they don’t advertise them as such as they would have to sell them cheaper than standard cabins.They should make customers aware of them though especially when booking guarantee cabins.Would be easy enough to provide a pop up warning that this could happen when booking guaranteed cabins on this ship.

I’m sure you have a good trip regardless.

That looks grim!

I’m sure it will be nicer than that and you’ll probably enjoy the extra space ,especially if your in there for 14 nights.

Not heard of the railway cabins before either. I suspect they don’t advertise them as such as they would have to sell them cheaper than standard cabins.They should make customers aware of them though especially when booking guarantee cabins.Would be easy enough to provide a pop up warning that this could happen when booking guaranteed cabins on this ship.

I’m sure you have a good trip regardless.

I am pretty certain the photos are going to be almost identical what will be experienced on the cruise. I think they describe them as fixed twin bed balcony cabins. Anyone booking a guaranteed balcony cabin is going to look at that phrase and think, yes, they have a balcony. At the same time they are imagining a standard P&O balcony as they have previously noted. The only deal breaker, if people are in the know is the non double bed set up but this will not be undesirable to many cruisers.

Regards John

It looks like a cell rather than a cabin. These cabins should have a totally different classification and the size and layout should be highlighted and then priced accordingly. It would be 50/50 as to whether a mis-selling case could be won and it would be a brave person to try.

This situation reminds me of a few "balcony" cabins on Fred Olsen which have a balcony on to the prom, which is more like a terrace. I expect a ships balcony cabin to overlook the sea not a pedestrian walkway.

I'm assuming this balcony at least overlooks the sea.

I would suggest purchasing a self inflating airbed that would fit nicely between the gap illustrated in the picture.

Definitely could be fun, we were 19 years old students when we took our first holiday together to Torquay. We had booked with a small B&B. When we arrived we found that we were in a very narrow room with 2 single beds, we had a fantastic holiday and still laugh about learning that 2 adults can fit in a single bed.

46 years on I doubt that we would be so easy going but at 19 it was fun. :D:hearteyes:

Nope, Mrs Gut and I had to share a single recently, still fun even after all these years.

Still no call back from P&O when they were supposed to call us yesterday! If they haven’t called by lunch time I am going to be one unhappy customer.

Any update on the action taken, or efforts made, by your TA?

Any update on the action taken, or efforts made, by your TA?

Nope, none. When I rang our TA on Friday in the morning they said they would talk to P&O and get back to me but never did. So I rang them again late afternoon and they told me there was nothing they could do. Then, I rang P&O directly and they said they would ring me Monday morning but still NOTHING! Starting to get very impatient.

This situation reminds me of a few "balcony" cabins on Fred Olsen which have a balcony on to the prom, which is more like a terrace. I expect a ships balcony cabin to overlook the sea not a pedestrian walkway.

Grand Princess, Star Princess and Golden Princess all have a small number of balcony cabins overlooking the promenade deck, on E deck forward, they are however elevated half a deck.

I saw a photo of the Fred Olsen Promenade Balcony Cabin. Having a quiet coffee with this type of balcony set up made me think of one of the Costa Coffee outlets in a major city shopping mall where you sit behind a barrier drinking coffee and all the shoppers walk past looking at you.

Star Clipper Cruises have balcony cabins on Star Clipper and Star Flyer where your balcony is simply a widened part of the Promenade Deck, no demarcation at all. They are however introducing a Mega Ship with traditional balconies and an 18 foot deep swimming pool for diving tuition.

Regards John

Nope, none. When I rang our TA on Friday in the morning they said they would talk to P&O and get back to me but never did. So I rang them again late afternoon and they told me there was nothing they could do. Then, I rang P&O directly and they said they would ring me Monday morning but still NOTHING! Starting to get very impatient.

Hi eddiecat.

I could understand that if they had a spare cabin available, then they might possibly be able to change your booking. However, I have just looked at the P&O website and the cruise is still showing as completely sold out. Can I ask you what in these circumstances you are expecting P&O to do?