Hacks to make Balcony Stateroom room darker!

Does anyone have any hacks to help make our balcony room darker?? I really wanted a balcony on my upcoming cruise but I will miss how dark an interior room is in the morning. We slept in a few mornings because there was no light coming in the room to wake us up.

Any advise is appreciated!

The curtains seem to me to do a really good job of minimizing the light. I don't have any hacks particular to cruise ships. But I do tuck one or two clothespins into my overnight bag. I use them to close drapes in hotel rooms when the drapes don't close completely. They can come in handy on the ship too.

If you are really sensitive to any light at all, then the best thing would probably be a good eye mask. I like ones that are molded so they don't sit directly on your eyelid. Here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/Sleeping-Adjustable-Comfortable-Contoured-Blindfold/dp/B077944MG9/ref=sr_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1525857689&sr=8-4&keywords=eye+mask+molded&dpID=51M6o5omMHL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

We just had our 1st balcony and the sun woke me up every morning. I’m very light sensitive and the light came around the top of the curtain where you couldn’t do anything about it. We used our stool at our door to keep it pulled tight but about 1/8” of light still crept through. I just had to go to bed at a decent time every night. I’ve tried eye masks and they’ve always hurt my eyes. I’ll have to try the one recommended above as it doesn’t sit on your eyelids.

Have you considered an eye mask while you sleep? I'm not usually a fan of things on my face, but I found a sleep mask that is molded a bit so it doesn't touch my eyelashes. It's light and comfortable and keeps the room dark.

A comment was made about the light coming in at the top of the curtains...just take a couple of towels long wise, roll them into a long roll(s) and place them on top of the rod, should take care of the light at the top.

The curtains seem to me to do a really good job of minimizing the light. I don't have any hacks particular to cruise ships. But I do tuck one or two clothespins into my overnight bag. I use them to close drapes in hotel rooms when the drapes don't close completely. They can come in handy on the ship too.

If you are really sensitive to any light at all, then the best thing would probably be a good eye mask. I like ones that are molded so they don't sit directly on your eyelid. Here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/Sleeping-Adjustable-Comfortable-Contoured-Blindfold/dp/B077944MG9/ref=sr_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1525857689&sr=8-4&keywords=eye+mask+molded&dpID=51M6o5omMHL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Yes I’ve tried eye masks at home and they hurt my eyes but I’m sure it was a really cheap one.

Bring a roll of duct tape.

Use a piece down the centre, and pieces on the side. If your balcony door whistles at all (sometimes they do if there are high winds) put a piece there as well.

This is making me laugh. It's a good idea, but I can just picture the steward coming into the room and seeing that I have completely duct taped the balcony door and curtains shut. :p

I guess they have probably seen it all and nothing surprises them. :D

I also like the idea of rolled towels along the top of the curtain rod. Smart!

Bring a roll of duct tape.

Use a piece down the centre, and pieces on the side. If your balcony door whistles at all (sometimes they do if there are high winds) put a piece there as well.

OMG no. That would rip the paper off of the walls

I have used one of the hangers with clips [for holding pants] to close the gap between curtains. You could also use them to secure the towels [earlier suggestion] to the top of the curtains.

Lewis & Clark also make a very comfortable eye mask [ https://www.amazon.com/Lewis-N-Clark-Comfort-Adjustable/dp/B000LY3X7W/ref=sr_1_2_m?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1526012316&sr=1-2&keywords=lewis+and+clark+eye+mask ]. I have used mine for years.

:)

We usually leave ours open.

But on the odd occasion we want really dark a few clothes pegs, or even a skirt hanger, usually a couple in the robe on the ship, does the trick.