Regatta 4/26 - 5/6 --- not the Oceania we'd come to love

deedo68

on a very extended cruise in 2016, I KNOW the chef did not buy local fish or vegetables in port sometimes because of the quality.

He said "it does not meet my standards." He also said that the fish was NOT caught that morning regardless of what the seller said ...so....sometimes we might be in an area where one expects to find 'fresh' and it isn't!

We went to both Antarctica and the Galapagos on Linblad .... The soft-adventure components of the cruises were amazing. Both the itineraries and the staff .... The rest of it was middling to bad, and for $1000 per person, per day, it did not feel like value. .... The food in the Galapagos was utter garbage--and there was no excuse as there was fresh fish and fruit available to provision every couple of days. One can only stand so many buffets where everything is nearly-lukewarm and the poultry is bloody..... made so many people sick I doubt it was fit for a dog.

The rooms were small, the beds were old, and so forth .....

Cannot see us cruising Lindblad again.

[shortened (a lot) by me.]

You might want to update your Favourite Cruise Line on your Profile, Shawnino. :D

We went to both Antarctica and the Galapagos on Linblad (co-branded as Nat Geo).

The soft-adventure components of the cruises were amazing. Both the itineraries and the staff. Amazing.

The rest of it was middling to bad, and for $1000 per person, per day, it did not feel like value.

The food in Antarctica, given that they had to provision weeks/months in advance, was OK. We had reindeer meat in Antarctica. Guessing that wasn't local.

The food in the Galapagos was utter garbage--and there was no excuse as there was fresh fish and fruit available to provision every couple of days. One can only stand so many buffets where everything is nearly-lukewarm and the poultry is bloody.

I know, I know...we're supposed to be going for the soft adventure and the food shouldn't matter, but the food in the Galapagos made so many people sick I doubt it was fit for a dog.

The rooms were small, the beds were old, and so forth.

The notion of traveling Lindblad on routes where other lines go is laughable at Lindblad pricing.

As to going more adventurous places, we either travel budget lines as (well, so-called) budget prices, or something like Ponant/Tauck where you actually get what you pay for.

One way or the other, So. Georgia is the best and Antarctica is great--do go.

[shortened (a lot) by me.]

You might want to update your Favourite Cruise Line on your Profile, Shawnino. :D

Good one! :D:D

ROFLMAO.

King

I only read about 20 replies and felt I had to say something. I am not a "professional" poster no have I been on the Oceania forum for quite some time. Generally I post on Roll Calls now and that's that. Social media in general has become pretty ugly.

That said, I clicked on this review because I was worried. We started cruising on Oceania in early 2013 and our 8th is coming up. After cruising since 1982, we landed here and stayed because it is everything we want. Perfect? No. But pretty darned close. If I see a poor review I worry because since Norwegian took over I've been concerned Oceania might go downhill. Our last cruise was this past December and it was still a stellar experience.

I read the review and as I read turning over in my mind were the words "Are you kidding me??? These are your issues??". I'd understand if this were a first cruise. Many people don't understand cruising. But you cannot just suddenly "dock" somewhere when you're not scheduled. Lots of ships on the sea. We had a medical emergency once and took the patient to Turks & Caicos. Moored out at sea for awhile I sure wished I could be lying in the sun on that beach, but I also knew you can't just dock wherever you like. It's not a motor cruiser out for a spin.

I could go on about my shock reading this, but I don't want to tear it apart. But if this is enough to turn someone off Oceania, then cruise another line and see how that goes. Before Oceania, Celebrity was our line of choice and before that HAL and on and on. Anyone who thinks Celebrity is better because they always have escargot or shrimp or whatever should probably return to Celebrity. Because hands down the Oceania cuisine so far surpasses Celebrity.

Heather, so good to see you again! We just got back from Insignia and it was MARVELOUS! Like you, the forum boggles the mind for us!

Strange expectations people have, yes?

Anyway, hope all is well with you and there is a great cruise in your future!

Donna

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We went to both Antarctica and the Galapagos on Linblad (co-branded as Nat Geo).

The soft-adventure components of the cruises were amazing. Both the itineraries and the staff. Amazing.

The rest of it was middling to bad, and for $1000 per person, per day, it did not feel like value.

The food in Antarctica, given that they had to provision weeks/months in advance, was OK. We had reindeer meat in Antarctica. Guessing that wasn't local.

in

The rooms were small, the beds were old, and so forth.

The notion of traveling Lindblad on routes where other lines go is laughable at Lindblad pricing.

As to going more adventurous places, we either travel budget lines as (well, so-called) budget prices, or something like Ponant/Tauck where you actually get what you pay for.

One way or the other, So. Georgia is the best and Antarctica is great--do go.

Off topic but when we were looking at going to Antarctica, looked at both Lindblad/National Geo and for the same price as an 11 day cruise on them in a port hole tiny cabin, we went on a 21 day cruise in a verandah cabin on Seabourn with 1 week spent in Antarctica with 2 landings per day plus zodiac and kayak adventures......and ate amazing food, all inclusive drinks and gratuities included! This cruise was amazing and Antarctica was a once in a life time adventure!

This is concerning.

We booked on O this coming autumn because we thought that the food on NCL is simply no onger acceptable (I know, I know... NCLH still gets our $$$).

If O food turns out to be no better, what do we do next?

(I'm not expecting Michelin-starred quality at sea, but at least the equivalent of a solid, mid-range restaurant...)

This is one person one incident of a personal nature and how it colored everything they experienced... I suspect it might be a bit over stated due to her hostility in the moment. In 10 years 8,0trips 5, o ships never had a bad experience... I suspect anger not reality was the real culprit....

My experience is that it had been better than 90% of the US restaurants I have been to east, west, north south.

This is one person one incident of a personal nature and how it colored everything they experienced... I suspect it might be a bit over stated due to her hostility in the moment. In 10 years 8,0trips 5, o ships never had a bad experience... I suspect anger not reality was the real culprit....

My experience is that it had been better than 90% of the US restaurants I have been to east, west, north south.

Agree. We were just on Regatta a couple of weeks ago, our fifth cruise on her, and she was just as good as always.

Heather, so good to see you again! We just got back from Insignia and it was MARVELOUS! Like you, the forum boggles the mind for us!

Strange expectations people have, yes?

Anyway, hope all is well with you and there is a great cruise in your future!

Donna

Hi Donna! I agree! Me, I’m happy on an Oceania ship anywhere it wants to take me!

Stuff happens. We are just lucky we can set sail at all:)! We’re not cruising this year, but have 2 next year ... both on Riviera.

Hi Donna! I agree! Me, I’m happy on an Oceania ship anywhere it wants to take me!

Stuff happens. We are just lucky we can set sail at all:)! We’re not cruising this year, but have 2 next year ... both on Riviera.

We are jealous! Riviera is our favorite ship. Enjoy!