Regatta 4/26 - 5/6 --- not the Oceania we'd come to love

deedo68

We had high expectations. Unfortunately they were not met.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Have you left a review? Since you seem to be coming from Celebrity I'd be curious what fell short for you on Oceania.

If any port on an itinerary is of major importance to you I suggest you do not book an Oceania cruise visiting there. I have often said that O cancels more ports, shortens more time in port and alters itineraries more often than any other cruise line I have travelled on. Go for the food in the alternate restaurants but not to see any place in particular.

This was our first Oceania cruise.It will also be our last. Nothing to do with itinerary changes and medical emergency. This can’t be helped. Our problem was more with lack of attention to detail. We found the food lacking. Buffet options didn’t appear fresh (except for salad). Burgers were grisly. My husband was told shrimp cocktail was unavailable in Grand Dining Room. Ketchup served in a bottle instead of in a ramekin ( again at dinner). Veal Parma served without tomato sauce. Egg Benedict served without Hollandaise. I could go on and on.

We have been on over 30 cruises. This is the first time I have come home with unpleasant memories.

phyllisrf, thank you for sharing your comments, and I am sorry to hear about your experience. We have our first O cruise coming up later this year, which we selected because of both the itinerary and timing.

We've been lurking on the O forum for some time, and I have to say that usually comments on food and service have been fairly positive. In the instances of the veal and eggs Benedict, I am curious if you requested that the dishes be corrected based on your preference? We recently sailed on Regent, and in the few instances where we had an issue with a dish, a simple request to the waiter was all that was needed to correct the situation. We are hoping that this same level of customer service is present on O.

We recently sailed on Regent, and in the few instances where we had an issue with a dish, a simple request to the waiter was all that was needed to correct the situation. We are hoping that this same level of customer service is present on O.

We have had some problems on Oceania & usually a word to the wait staff it will be corrected

if not speak with the Maitre'D

They seem to have a lot more new crew who are not up to the previous standards of Oceania that we are used to

When new people come to O their expectations are set very high from all the hype so it can be very disappointing

Hope you enjoy your cruise

Lyn

LHT28 - When my husband told our server about the veal dish, the server brought the menu to him and asked my husband to show him where it said tomato sauce.This was not handled properly, at all.

We are not new to cruising or Cruise Critic by a long shot. We did book our first Oceania cruise for 29 days later this year. I have never seen a board so full of hate, sarcasm, and arrogance in my 45 years of sailing. This board is full of "professional poster's" that need to take a step back and read the hate they spew before posting. You are not helpful and you are certainly not special because you have

"over 5,000" posts or sailed on this line for "11 or more cruises". If you can't say something nice... well I am sure you are old enough to have passed this one on to your grandchildren. I, like many poster's have said, may be sorry we booked this cruise line. I am sure they are the minority, but like todays news, they seem to complain the loudest about "whatever". There is enough hate "out there", please don't bring it "in here". No, I didn't include how many cruises I have been on, what cruise lines, or my "status" on those lines because if your going to be rude and obnoxious, no one cares. If your are going to be helpful and friendly to fellow passengers for your VACATION, it might. I think I am going back to Windstar.

+1 - but don’t let the rude, obnoxious posters deter you from trying O and making your own determination if it’s a good fit for you. I have certainly read many posts where my reaction was why would someone feel the need to post this but you meet this type of person in all aspects of life, don’t let them influence your decisions about O.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

LHT28 - When my husband told our server about the veal dish, the server brought the menu to him and asked my husband to show him where it said tomato sauce.This was not handled properly, at all.

That is too bad ..did the Maitre'D correct the problem?

Thank you. I would tend to agree with you that it does seem odd that the server returned the menu to you (presumably to prove that tomato sauce was not part of the dish). Was it clearly labeled on the menu as veal parmigiana (or veal parma)? Could it have been some other veal dish?

In any case, if a server had done that to me, I would have called for the maitre d'. If tomato sauce was not part of the dish, I would hope someone would have either tried to accommodate your request if possible, or explain why it could not be prepared that night.

Having menu discussions with the staff is a lost cause. On our last cruise, the main chef came by the table and asked how everything was. A couple of us had ordered the veal picatta. Problem was there was nothing “picatta” about it at all. Had a red sauce (bland) and very little seasoning. The chef stated that was their “interpretation “ of picatta. There is no requirement to adhere to more traditional interpretations of any menus. The head chef was telling us that a dish, any dish, is whatever they want to call it. Therefore, any predetermined idea of what a dish should look like or taste like may not apply. Addressing it to any wait staff may or may not be a solution. We’ve had this conversation on other dishes. Food is bountiful on Oceania. Some of it to me, is very good, other dishes can be huge disappointments. If the latter, I now merely ask the staff to take the dish away and reorder a different dish, or wait for the next course. Getting into a conversation with the staff over the dish is normally a waste of time and energy.

This is concerning.

We booked on O this coming autumn because we thought that the food on NCL is simply no onger acceptable (I know, I know... NCLH still gets our $$$).

If O food turns out to be no better, what do we do next?

(I'm not expecting Michelin-starred quality at sea, but at least the equivalent of a solid, mid-range restaurant...)

This is concerning.

We booked on O this coming autumn because we thought that the food on NCL is simply no onger acceptable (I know, I know... NCLH still gets our $$$).

(I'm not expecting Michelin-starred quality at sea, but at least the equivalent of a solid, mid-range restaurant...)

Why not wait & see & judge for yourself

Having menu discussions with the staff is a lost cause. On our last cruise, the main chef came by the table and asked how everything was. A couple of us had ordered the veal picatta. Problem was there was nothing “picatta” about it at all. Had a red sauce (bland) and very little seasoning. The chef stated that was their “interpretation “ of picatta. There is no requirement to adhere to more traditional interpretations of any menus. The head chef was telling us that a dish, any dish, is whatever they want to call it. .

That names of dishes do not play a role at Oceania and that "any dish is whatever they want to call it" sounds very funny to me. Never heard this approach before. Who is the head chef?

I have seen very creative chefs presenting all sorts of dishes, but none of them has used classic names and served something completely different. So a Waldorf Salad is a Waldorf Salad everywhere.

Ivi

This is concerning.

On my two cruises with Oceania, the only food I didn't enjoy were dishes that I was trying just to try something different. I have had some amazing meals on board (Nautica and Insignia). My son hugged the chef in Toscana last summer after he was brought to tears by his steak. I hope what people experienced on this trip was an anomaly.

Cruise #11 on Oceania and biggest disappointment. Not sure if/when there will be #12. Ten day cruise with virtually five sea days as a result of questionable decisions by the captain..on first sea day there was medical emergency which should and did receive top priority. However, captain chose to stop at Turks & Caicos which was ill-equipped to handle emergency care. According to ocean club ambassador Cella, patient taken via our tender elsewhere for treatment. We sat still for more than five hours necessitating missing st kitts. Perhaps better planning by Miami/captain would have given better care to patient and allowed us another port. Captain's "explanation" ended with "sorry for the inconvenience." (3 sea days). Next stop, San Juan, originally Tortola when booked. Changed with no explanation given, prior to departure. Our tendered stop in Samana, DR required walking onto platform from ship to outboard motored "speedboats", often uncovered, holding somewhere near 30 people. Our final stop in Nassau scheduled for 9:30 arrived close to 1 pm, due to "rough" seas. We have been on cruises with drawers slamming open and still made ports on time. Back to ship at 4:30 for departure to Miami. Each delay/annoyance/inconvenience was met with a perfunctory "sorry for the inconvenience." Wonder what was really going on that caused us to travel more slowly. There was more to this than what we were told.

Oceania club ambassador, cella, poor. Destination services abysmal. Fewer choices in terrace cafe. Only saving grace - staff everywhere OUTSTANDING!!! Where are you Frank Del Rio? Saw you on first cruise to Cuba. Is this the Oceania you envisioned?

Interesting review of your cruise. Sounds like a very disappointing cruise. Are you and others going to be compensated by Oceania?

BTW, what is DR? Sorry, I don’t know what that means.

DR in this case is one half of the island that makes up Haitimand the Dominion Republic .not sure of spelling.

Meanwhile I would if sent the fake veal Parma back. Without sauce it not worth eating. I am afraid to ask what they serve fir eggplant parm.

DR in this case is one half of the island that makes up Haitimand the Dominion Republic .not sure of spelling.

Meanwhile I would if sent the fake veal Parma back. Without sauce it not worth eating. I am afraid to ask what they serve fir eggplant parm.

The island is Hispaniola, and the countries that share it are Haiti and the Dominican Republic.

We are not new to cruising or Cruise Critic by a long shot. We did book our first Oceania cruise for 29 days later this year. I have never seen a board so full of hate, sarcasm, and arrogance in my 45 years of sailing. This board is full of "professional poster's" that need to take a step back and read the hate they spew before posting. You are not helpful and you are certainly not special because you have

"over 5,000" posts or sailed on this line for "11 or more cruises". If you can't say something nice... well I am sure you are old enough to have passed this one on to your grandchildren. I, like many poster's have said, may be sorry we booked this cruise line. I am sure they are the minority, but like todays news, they seem to complain the loudest about "whatever". There is enough hate "out there", please don't bring it "in here". No, I didn't include how many cruises I have been on, what cruise lines, or my "status" on those lines because if your going to be rude and obnoxious, no one cares. If your are going to be helpful and friendly to fellow passengers for your VACATION, it might. I think I am going back to Windstar.

We are aboard the next cruise and have missed two ports already. One was due to an engine problem and one to political unrest in Nicaragua.

I can sympathize with those posts that are bemoaning the food. It is OK though, the specialty restaurants are great and the rest of it is just mediocre.

A trip in January on Riviera offered much better food and a March trip on Regent again offered a much better culinary experience

And, to top it all off, as we approach Cabo tomorrow, we are now in a Gastro intestinal situation. 10 people have reported illness and the ship has begun it's cleaning protocol designed to nip the outbreak in the bud .

Reading some of these posts. I asked my wife is this what we have to look forward to is that when we go on vacation that we are concerned about the food quality over everything else? Especially when we travel on OC? God I hope not. My want is to be able to board ships at 80 plus, without assistance as my parents and in laws do and be able to take the most rugged shore excursions that we can.

Reading some of these posts. I asked my wife is this what we have to look forward to is that when we go on vacation that we are concerned about the food quality over everything else? Especially when we travel on OC? God I hope not. My want is to be able to board ships at 80 plus, without assistance as my parents and in laws do and be able to take the most rugged shore excursions that we can.

The experiences can vary from cruise to cruise after 14 cruises on O most have have been very good one not so good

Do not think it matters what cabin cat you are in the food comes from the same kitchens

the cooks are mostly to blame & it should be mentioned to the Head Chef if the food served is not good

If things continue to deteriorate then talk with your pocketbook ...we will