Wine Packages

crazytomatoes

we've never gotten a wine package...

so are the same wines always offered and do you know ahead of purchase what they are?

or is it more whatever is available and not selling?:halo:

I believe it is any wine in the price range you buy into that is in stock.

Probably not. I just did a B2B and each cruise was independent of the other.

I have heard of people asking the waiter on the first night if they can get a package when they weren't offered. This might be a solution.

I have heard of people asking the waiter on the first night if they can get a package when they weren't offered. This might be a solution.

I have purchased many wine packages since they first became available.

First, I have never seen or heard them promoted on any of our cruises. I always had to ask our server. You're given a card which has your name, stateroom number, voyage number and folio number. There is a number on the card for each of the bottles you purchased as part of the package (e.g. 1 thru 12 if you buy a 12 bottle package). Every time you order a bottle the next available number has a hole punched through it.

In addition, you can purchase any bottle, even if it exceeds the maximum price allowed for your package (e.g. $45 for the Gold Package). You will only be charged the amount in excess of the limit. It will show up on your folio as a full charge for the bottle ordered and a credit for $45 (if you get the Gold Package).

Almost all the Crown Med sailings this summer are sold in the 7, 14 or 21 day segments, but really are all 7 day cruises. Any idea if that would mean the wine packages would not be offered as a result:confused:

I doubt it. Too much hassle with some being offered it and others not.

we've never gotten a wine package...

so are the same wines always offered and do you know ahead of purchase what they are?

or is it more whatever is available and not selling?:halo:

It is the standard Princess wine list, but some wines may not be available on a particular sailing or they may run out during it. I think to verify availability, you would have to talk to your waiter or assistant.

Is there a link anywhere to the wine selection in each package?

Here’s the most recent wine list I’ve seen & includes net price comparisons between purchasing onboard & at Total Wine. Gold package is for wine up to $45; Silver up to $29.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=410218&d=1503617110

I’ve purchased wine packages numerous times & only once had my wine bottle unavailable.

Unfortunately since there is nothing on the Princess website about the wine packages, it's apparently nowhere on their agent's system either & is not available to pre-purchase. :confused:

You should have the wine package & here are the details which we purchase from our dining room staff who will be providing our wine. I've been told there are benefits to staff & that's another reason I purchase from our dining room staff.

Note: A 15% gratuity is added to all package prices (like any other bar purchase).

Silver Package (wines up to $29 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $161 (average of $23 per bottle)

10 bottles -- $210 (average of $21 per bottle)

12 bottles -- $240 (average of $20 per bottle)

Gold Package (wines up to $45 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $217 (average of $31 per bottle)

10 bottles -- $290 (average of $29 per bottle)

12 bottles -- $336 (average of $28 per bottle)

You get a punch card which can be used at any of the dining locations. If you don't finish the bottle they'll store it for another time. You can get a bottle in the dining room & drink it anywhere onboard.

You may choose any wine on on the regular wine menu. If you want to buy a wine that costs more than what the package covers, you just pay the difference. For example, if you have a Gold package and buy a wine that costs $46, the charge for $46 will appear on your stateroom account, followed by a $45 credit.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I have purchased many wine packages since they first became available.

First, I have never seen or heard them promoted on any of our cruises. I always had to ask our server. You're given a card which has your name, stateroom number, voyage number and folio number. There is a number on the card for each of the bottles you purchased as part of the package (e.g. 1 thru 12 if you buy a 12 bottle package). Every time you order a bottle the next available number has a hole punched through it.

In addition, you can purchase any bottle, even if it exceeds the maximum price allowed for your package (e.g. $45 for the Gold Package). You will only be charged the amount in excess of the limit. It will show up on your folio as a full charge for the bottle ordered and a credit for $45 (if you get the Gold Package).

Our experience has been exactly as Michael has described.

I just found my Wine Package Card from our cruise on the CB in March. The prices were as follows:

Silver Package - any bottle up to $31

• 12 bottle package - $240
  • 10 bottle package - $210
  • 7 bottle package - $161

Gold Package - any bottle up to $45

• 12 bottle package - $336
  • 10 bottle package - $290
  • 7 bottle package - $217

We did run into instances where some of the bottles we wanted were out of stock. However, this was mostly later in the cruise (14 day) and there were always very good alternatives.

I just found my Wine Package Card from our cruise on the CB in March. The prices were as follows:

Silver Package - any bottle up to $31

• 12 bottle package - $240
  • 10 bottle package - $210
  • 7 bottle package - $161

Gold Package - any bottle up to $45

• 12 bottle package - $336
  • 10 bottle package - $290l
  • 7 bottle package - $217

We did run into instances where some of the bottles we wanted were out of stock. However, this was mostly later in the cruise (14 day) and there were always very good alternatives.

These prices do not include the 15% gratuity. There is no corkage charge for any bottles of wine purchased from Princess.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As others have posted, you purchase any wine from the regular wine list and if you purchase a wine greater than your package ($29 or $45) you just pay the difference with no additional gratuity.

Almost all the Crown Med sailings this summer are sold in the 7, 14 or 21 day segments, but really are all 7 day cruises. Any idea if that would mean the wine packages would not be offered as a result:confused:
In our experience, if the shortest bookable cruise is less than 10 days then wine packages would be offered. We did a B2B of two 7day cruises a couple of years ago. I asked Princess if we would be able to a purchase a wine package for our 14 days and was told yes. On board, the Maitre d’ said no [emoji848]

... My biggest concern about taking my own cases onboard is....how to manhandle 2 or 3 cases at embarkation after being let off by a cab. After paying the corkage can they be sent immediately to the dining room? Couldn’t imagine having to hold them on my lap in lido at lunch!!? Thx for any insight.
Doubt it. We are going on a 28 day cruise this fall but from our home port of San Pedro. We plan on bringing two cases from our cellar and will be buying a cheap dolly (about $25). We will use to dolly to bring the wine to our cabin and then leave on board because we are flying home.

If you purchase the wine package and do not use all the punches, can they be used on a future cruise?

Definitely not but you could get remaining bottles to take home or to give to staff members such as your cabin attendant.

Doubt it. We are going on a 28 day cruise this fall but from our home port of San Pedro. We plan on bringing two cases from our cellar and will be buying a cheap dolly (about $25). We will use to dolly to bring the wine to our cabin and then leave on board because we are flying home.

Not sure it was said here or the other thread, but you can tape lugage tags to the case and check it.

The cart though sounds good for us this fall. Even if you check the wine, you may need to go to the wine table at some point.

Not sure it was said here or the other thread, but you can tape lugage tags to the case and check it.

The cart though sounds good for us this fall. Even if you check the wine, you may need to go to the wine table at some point.

Taping a luggage tag to a case used to work but now that would probably result in a trip to the “naughty room” for you to go down and authorize Princess to open up the case for inspection and then to collect your $15 corkage as applicable. Bringing a couple of cases on a dolly seams so much cleaner for us.

Taping a luggage tag to a case used to work but now that would probably result in a trip to the “naughty room” for you to go down and authorize Princess to open up the case for inspection and then to collect your $15 corkage as applicable. Bringing a couple of cases on a dolly seams so much cleaner for us.

Been to the naughty corner a few times. Early on with a power strip without a surge protectors I got called down once. They weren't sure what I had. Also for wine a few times. Was going to called the wine table the naughty room/corner, but did not know if everyone knew the term.

My sister is looking down your way for a place when they retire. Was going to respond to your other post, but not sure what happened. I'll leave it at that.

• 6 months later...
On 5/24/2018 at 3:20 PM, IECalCruiser said:

I'm sure you may have seen the posts on this, we had no problems at all checking the wine on and getting it safely in our room. Wine was delivered directly into the room and they stacked it where we asked them to. Received it about 6:15 PM the first day in time for late seating. I did go down to the pursers desk in the afternoon to check the status of the wine and pay the corkage.

On 5/23/2018 at 6:59 PM, canadarocks said:

My only major complaint with Princess is their ambiguity with the wine package. If I can't know for sure that it will be offered, I will never take advantage of it. Not about to board a ship only to discover that a wine package is not an option. Such a bad marketing strategy that for the life of me I do not understand.

OR, they are out of many of the wines on the list, as we just experienced on the Crown.

• 1 month later...