The First Voyage of the Norwegian Bliss to Alaska

BirdTravels

Thank you for taking the time and posting such great information and wonderful pics!

Have you (or anyone else you've talked to) used the iConcierge app yet? As I understand it, it wasn't working on prior sailings, but was supposed to be live in Alaska. Just curious if it's live yet, as it seems to be a great way to stay in touch with other "cruisemates" on the ship and want to install the app before leaving home if it is working. Thanks in advance!

Thank you for taking the time and posting such great information and wonderful pics!

Have you (or anyone else you've talked to) used the iConcierge app yet? As I understand it, it wasn't working on prior sailings, but was supposed to be live in Alaska. Just curious if it's live yet, as it seems to be a great way to stay in touch with other "cruisemates" on the ship and want to install the app before leaving home if it is working. Thanks in advance!

The Bliss uses the NEW Norwegian App (previously only on the Sky). Seems to work better. No first hand information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does it feel crowded with so many inside? I read it is a little chilly - is it jean and sweatshirt weather?

It does not feel any more crowded than any other megaship. We were on the Escape about a month ago and it is comparable. We have 4700 passengers on this cruise against a 4000 passenger capacity. So the ship is truly being tested and the crew is doing a remarkable job.

Many were in shorts yesterday for the sea day. If you were sitting on deck, you probably wanted something a bit warmer, but we were outside walking around in shorts. For balcony time, we did throw the deck blanket (pictured above) over our laps and dawned a light jacket.

While nothing like a Caribbean cruise, the pools for some use yesterday. We preferred the thermal suite pool and heated Loungers yesterday.

Edited by BirdTravels

7:19. Gangways open. No food off/on ship in accordance with local authorities. All aboard is 2:30 today.

Update: Captain extended all aboard to 3:00. (My guess is some late running PR activities - maiden port call, largest ship, etc).

Edited by BirdTravels

Surprisingly, we were not invited to the Haven cocktail reception nor the glacier watching party like we use to on the Jewel. [emoji20]

We signed up for the dinner with an officer, but have not got a call on when that is either.

That is very Surprising :eek: :confused: and strange.

Thanks so much for your really great review and amazing pictures, we have been to Alaska 11 times and with your wonderful picture and memories from being there int he past I feel like I am right there with you :cool:

The Bliss uses the NEW Norwegian App (previously only on the Sky). Seems to work better. No first hand information.

Thank you!

Based on your photo with the cabin deck location, we have the same cabin? Nineteen days...but who's counting;)

Enjoy your day in Ketchikan and the rest of your cruise!

Good Morning Alaska

6:00 am and every seat in the Garden Cafe is full.

Pro Tip: the outside seating is wide open. And the dark panels on the ceiling are actually heaters (purpose built for Alaska) and the outside is nice and warm.

9ea3276a1cf5f06ce3f5fa6ba0aef7e3.heic

dc3f8d0a49c691e507248a9692c81896.heic

7952b5b154a5aaffb3d2d03b16997d3e.heic

Views from the Garden Cafe and Observation Lounge

9bce936b9265c6cd5c37a74d2b84e0c6.heic

yup I did that on the Panama Cruise. and enjoyed the outside as well See my thread. but honestly full buffet at 6am is a bit much. Me thinks the Observation lounge will be full too and folks carrying food up and down the stairwells.

The NCL bliss should have made the buffet bigger. Folks will plant themselves by the window and not leave. For me after doing the Bliss, I will return to smaller ships.

Open ocean. Exactly as depicted in post #1.

which is a shame in a way. I know NCL brags about having the largest ship in area, but something has to give. I say try the mid size Holland America ships on your next cruise for a change of pace. They also do the Glacier Bay too.

which is a shame in a way. I know NCL brags about having the largest ship in area, but something has to give. I say try the mid size Holland America ships on your next cruise for a change of pace. They also do the Glacier Bay too.

I’m booked on the Bliss 1 year from today and our itinerary is cruising Glacier Bay - with the same port of calls, but the times arriving and leaving are different- I hope they don’t change my itinerary! I chose it due to Glacier Bay

Thank you so much for taking the time to post all of the great info and amazing pics. Just beautiful.

Capacity...what does it mean when they say capacity is 3994 pax but there are 4700 pax on board? I've seen it mentioned in relation to other sailings/ships and have always wondered how they could carry so many over capacity? Is there there a limit as to how many passengers they can have on board a particular ship?

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences and expertise.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post all of the great info and amazing pics. Just beautiful.

Capacity...what does it mean when they say capacity is 3994 pax but there are 4700 pax on board? I've seen it mentioned in relation to other sailings/ships and have always wondered how they could carry so many over capacity? Is there there a limit as to how many passengers they can have on board a particular ship?

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences and expertise.

I think they usually quote passenger capacity at double occupancy, but would essentially have capacity for more depending on the number of 3/4 person rooms filled to capacity or suites that sleep more with more than two.

They wouldn’t overfill the ship capacity beyond what lifeboats could hold.

Someone correct me if I am incorrect...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m booked on the Bliss 1 year from today and our itinerary is cruising Glacier Bay - with the same port of calls, but the times arriving and leaving are different- I hope they don’t change my itinerary! I chose it due to Glacier Bay

Oh good if true. Perhaps they had to wait a year for a spot.