Recommendations for your favorite HAL foods?

pcs15

My first stop, when we board the ship and head to the Lido for lunch, is the bread pudding. On our Amsterdam cruise, not only was the regular bread pudding available, but there was also chocolate bread pudding! If you like chocolate, it was fantastic.

Thank you all - you are giving me some great ideas of new things to try. As a chocoholic the chocolate recommendations are very welcome - a chocolate bread pudding would certainly be a change! I don't think I have tried the lamb on HAL and it got a lot of recommendations so will have to give it a shot. I agree that the chilled soups are good - assuming you like sweet! Keep those recommendations coming!

My wife particularly, and even I now, like the escargot. on HAL.

Warning !! For all of those that love the escargot, you may want to ask the waiter how it will be served.

On my cruise this past Nov. the escargot was not served the tradional way.

It was in a cream type sauce and just dumped on a plate. :(

It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. It was nothing like it was before. If they continue serving it this way I would not order it again.

My favorite food on HAL is just about anything they put in front of me! My special loves are the cream soups, which I never eat at home.

When we cruised around South America a few years ago on the Ryndam the Lido frequently had huge bowls of shrimp and crab claws and they were fabulous! The first time I saw them, I had already eaten and couldn't ingest one more bite -- after that, I learned to check daily for the fresh seafood selection

Warning !! For all of those that love the escargot, you may want to ask the waiter how it will be served.

On my cruise this past Nov. the escargot was not served the tradional way.

It was in a cream type sauce and just dumped on a plate. :(

Can't figure out why they mess around with something that is perfect already when there are so many other food items that could be improved with a little imagination. ;)

Ruth,

I don't care for the chilled soups...they remind me of melted ice cream.

Roz

I fully understand why they might! Many of them have a sherbet base; others have a great deal of cream.

When John Mulvaney told me what he put in them I knew right away why I love 'em. And why I shouldn't be eating them.

My Favorites...

482684242GobIwg_ph.jpg

Oven Roasted Rack of Lamb Rubbed with Dijon mustard and garlic herb bread crumbs. Served with a Pinot Noir sauce, minted olive oil, traditional ratatouille, asparagus tips and garlicky potato gratin.

Escargots Bourguignon Delectable snails marinated in Pernod and Chablis and lightly baked in an herb garlic butter, with French bread.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/476992214/482691137DbrnVR

Mussels in white wine sauce, Tomato bisque, Caesar salad, Mahi Mahi, Mango sundae, Prime Rib, chocolate soufflé, banana bread soufflé with coconut rum sauce, New England clam chowder & filet from the Pinnacle Grill (if you can bear the slow, spotty service), and the beef tenderloin in the main dining room. The pizza in the lido is also pretty good and so are the cheeseburgers by the pool.

My favorites from our Westerdam cruise last month:

The chilled fruit soups, EXCEPT for the Mango which had onion and tomato - not a good combination!

The escargot was served the traditional way and was excellent (although I've had better, not often)

Almost anything they serve at the Wok station in the Lido, except the sushi which is not bad (I ate it every day) but is just average

The Mahi-mahi they served the first night was so good DS ate 2 servings and split a third with DH!

The Mahi-mahi they served the first night was so good DS ate 2 servings and split a third with DH!

My husband and I also thought the Mahi-Mahi was the best. It was probably the most moist, flavorful piece of fish I had all week although the salmon off the always availible menu wasn't bad at all! :D

I also love the chilled soups--most all of them! Never can get enough of them!

A favorite dessert used to be called Cappucino Bombe, and now goes by a different name. Cappucino ice cream in a dark chocolate shell, served on a bed of raspberry sauce. They changed the name, but the taste was definitely the same on the Statendam in November! Can't for the life of me remember the new name!

I don't recall the name of this chocolate tulip desert either, but it is so yummy!! I had it on the Rotterdam in August and the Veendam in October.

As for the escargot, I've been on cruises (long ones) where traditional escargot was offered two nights, and the other escargot offering on one. I tried the one on brioche once, and it was a one time deal for me. Give me the real stuff any day!

Can't wait for the two above, lamb shanks, osso bucco, chilled soups in Feburary on the Rotterdam.

Archived