Embarkation changed. Will NCL pay?

Halo19

I am on the same cruise and there are literally no hotels near this port. We board on a Sunday and there is not even public transportation to anywhere near this port. Luckily I had just booked near the airport due to flights, but I feel for those that were booked near the other port.

That's not true. The public transportation is the same as on a weekday, except for the ferry (which is not very close to the ship anyway).

The best way is to go with the S3 train to station "Veddel" (2 stations from Central station, about 15-20 minutes from "Altona" or the stations around) Prebook the shuttle bus from Veddel (2,50 €) and it takes you directly to the terminal.

https://www.hansetix.de/en/cruisegate

:)

For our cruise coming up, our embarkation port has changed. We booked a hotel within walking distance of the original port, and will now have to pay around 30euro to get to the new port.

Has anyone had this happen before? Do you think if we contact NCL they will give onboard credit? Provide a shuttle? ( I know there are others in the same situation). Just wondering what others experiences were with this!

Assuming the port is in the same city, I don't think there would be any reason for NCL to pay, but you could contact them anyone. Let us know what happens. Good luck.

Both ports are in Hamburg Germany. We have an email from our NCL cruise consultant from Oct stating the port would be Altona and it is now Steinwerder.

Maybe a call or email to your cruise consultant can help. He may be able to do something for you because you made your plans based on his information.

That's not true. The public transportation is the same as on a weekday, except for the ferry (which is not very close to the ship anyway).

The best way is to go with the S3 train to station "Veddel" (2 stations from Central station, about 15-20 minutes from "Altona" or the stations around) Prebook the shuttle bus from Veddel (2,50 €) and it takes you directly to the terminal.

https://www.hansetix.de/en/cruisegate

:)

Yes, I was referring to the ferry. We are going to Veddel and getting a taxi from there. If we could have taken the ferry it would have been a 20 minute walk instead of 50 minutes without it. I have asked several times on TA about taking the ferry and there are different answers about it operating on Sundays. Thanks for the reply.

NCL changes small things all the time that cost cruisers money. That said I wouldn't ask for compensation unless it was a huge hardship. For example we didn't dock at the normal dock in Cozumel so instead of being able to walk to the resort we had a day pass at we had to take a taxi round trip. I just coughed up the extra $40 for the two taxi rides.

Regarding hotel rooms, many hotels (possibly most) offer cheaper, non cancellable rates. The OP says they can't cancel their hotel, so I think it's safe to assume that this is the case here.

We very often book non cancellable rates, especially if we are confident that plans won't change and there is a good discount. It isn't unusual to get 25-30% better rates. Very occasionally, plans do change, and we lose out on a booking, but nothing like to the extent that we save on all the others.

In the OP's case, they seem to have lost out by a few euros by having booked a non cancellable rate. However, next time they take a similar rate they may save more than they have lost here.

most hotels allow you to cancel up to 24 hours prior to stay. some its even 6pm day of.

That all depends on what you book. IHG, as an example, has that option, they have book advance purchase for cheaper. Also other options. I know looking next year at Marriott in Miami all lately have been pay in full as only option with no getting money back if you cancel. If they stay that way we won't be booking them in advance or go with another brand.

Regarding hotel rooms, many hotels (possibly most) offer cheaper, non cancellable rates. The OP says they can't cancel their hotel, so I think it's safe to assume that this is the case here.

We very often book non cancellable rates, especially if we are confident that plans won't change and there is a good discount. It isn't unusual to get 25-30% better rates. Very occasionally, plans do change, and we lose out on a booking, but nothing like to the extent that we save on all the others.

In the OP's case, they seem to have lost out by a few euros by having booked a non cancellable rate. However, next time they take a similar rate they may save more than they have lost here.

Yes, Keith, you are right and we usually book the cheaper rate, but have gotten stung a few times. It is smart to realize, you take a gamble when you book a non refundable price.

I dont think it will hurt to just ask NCL for some onboard credit or something. Our cruise to the baltic changed the port from stockholm to nynashamn and i believe those that that booked the cruise earlier when it still reflected stockholm will get free transfers to stockholm by NCL. This was however stated on the email sent to them by the cruise line informing them of the change.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Forums mobile app